Author Topic: Home Depot...... just a headsup....  (Read 3775 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Home Depot...... just a headsup....
« on: November 11, 2014, 04:44:44 AM »
Just got this in my inbox.....

The Home Depot

Dear Valued Customer,

The Home Depot has discovered that a file containing your email address may have been taken during the payment card breach we announced in September. The file contained email addresses, but it did not contain passwords, payment card information, or other sensitive personal information. We apologize for this incident and for the inconvenience and frustration this may cause you.

In all likelihood this event will not impact you, but we recommend that you be on the alert for phony emails requesting personal or sensitive information. If you have any questions or would like additional information on how to protect yourself from email scams, please visit our website or call 1-800-HOMEDEPOT.

Again, we apologize for the frustration and inconvenience this incident may have caused. Thank you for your continued support.

Sincerely,

The Home Depot

Please do not reply to this email. To contact us call 1-800-HOMEDEPOT, or contact us at The Home Depot, Attn: Privacy Official, 2455 Paces Ferry Road, N.W., Atlanta, GA 30339-4024, USA.

Offline wahrsuul

• This is personal, stop reading it!
Re: Home Depot...... just a headsup....
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 04:52:04 AM »
I never give them my email address....or phone number.  They don't need it to take my money.
1999 C-10: Knee savers, Givi trunk, Rifle windshield, KB risers, K&N...and counting...

What did I do to deserve this life?  And how do I do it again?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 05:39:04 AM »
Yep, got the same thing..  I've never really liked Home Depot.  I prefer Lowes.  I had their 'deals' coming in through email but I stopped that after I heard about the breach.  Evidently I bought something during the 'window'.  They weren't the first and won't be the last.  What happens with these businesses is that they don't want to pay the money to be as secure as they need to be.  There are tools readily available (with a cost) to prevent this kind of thing and there are policies that can be implemented to do the same such as disabling vendor access or the changing of passwords.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 07:22:39 AM »
I got the notice from Home Depot.  I also got a new debit card from my bank as a precaution.  Seems like Home Depot contacted the bank too, who thought it would be prudent to be pro-active and send out new debit cards.

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 08:00:26 AM »
I will never have a debit or bank checking account card. A hacker/breach can access the entire account balance before you know it's happened. You may not be liable, but it will take a while to get stuff cleared up with your bank, and if you have any direct payments from the account you could have insufficient funds to cover it and get overdraft fees and/or bad credit history. A regular credit card comes with a statement and an opportunity to review the charges before you pay it. I have had a couple fraudulent charges and always had no problem with getting them removed before paying the account balance.   
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 09:52:58 AM »
I only use my credit cards for gasoline purchase, because it's such a pain to prepay with cash and it takes almost $100 to fill up my truck.  Everything else is cash or check.  Mostly cash.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 01:44:04 PM »
I hardly ever have cash. I use my card for everything.
Then at the end of the week my wife gets a pile of receipts. No longer my problem.
She pays all the bills too. Pretty spoiled and no stress. ;D
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 01:52:12 PM »
Hmmm, that's me as well except for the bills.  They all go to me.  :'(
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 06:20:22 PM »
Well, this concerns me.  I just got the same email.  Only thing is I don't see any reason why HD would have my email address.  I can't remember ever doing any paperwork with them that would have it.  Any chance this is another phishing scheme and all of us who opened that email got further hacked?
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline wahrsuul

• This is personal, stop reading it!
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 04:18:51 AM »
This is why pre-paid cards are great.  Even if someone hacks the account, they're limited on what they can get away with.  You can keep some debit cards that way too, depends on your bank/CU.

I've been in the tech/computer fialed for over 30 years, and I can't believe the number of people I meet htat have all their personal and financial info on their phones.  Those things are far more insecure than a home system.  Apple has already been hacked once in their cloud, now they want you to entrust all your CC info to them as well?

I had one of those "home automation" guys stop by the house a while back trying to get me to buy their services.  I stopped him before he got going, and told him he couldn't sell me his product.  It's alerady easy enough for someone to break into my house, no need to make it easier.  The "internet of things" is growing fast, and the security is not keeping pace.
1999 C-10: Knee savers, Givi trunk, Rifle windshield, KB risers, K&N...and counting...

What did I do to deserve this life?  And how do I do it again?

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 06:11:15 AM »
I was recently issued a new card from my credit union because of this.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 06:15:52 AM »
I was recently issued a new card from my credit union because of this.

Me too, even though I haven't shopped their in years. 

I earn money with my credit cards so I will continue to use them. 
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2014, 10:50:23 AM »
No worries here, I almost always use cash. Cash is king in our house.  ;D
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline max1138

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2014, 02:48:58 PM »
I do not own/use a credit card, got rid of them years back. I do use a bank debit card however. 
 but its mostly just to get gas with.  I dont want to go stand in line to prepay for gas cause I usually fill up.

if someone asks me for a phone or email while im purchasing something  my usual reply is benjamin franklin@at you cant have my information.com.   
they give me that look and Im thinking Im not the one asking for personal info you dont need except to cause me grief..