Author Topic: Winter GLoves  (Read 6487 times)

Offline rocknrod

• 2013 C14 - Blue
Winter GLoves
« on: September 28, 2014, 08:35:54 AM »
With all the experience here I was wondering if I could get opinions on winter gloves. The warmest available. Are there any that don't have a huge gauntlet? What do you guys like?
Master Chief, US Navy, Retired
2013 C14 Blue, Fenda Extenda, Radiator Screen, HeliBars, Glove Box Mod, 3M paint Protector, Rostra Cruise Control, TechSpec Tank Grips, Lowering Links and Side Stand, Front lowered, Lowered center stand, Balwin Seat.

Offline Conrad

Re: Winter GLoves
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 08:44:45 AM »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline rocknrod

• 2013 C14 - Blue
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 08:56:07 AM »
Being in Illinois I would think you see colder weather than I'm used to also, interesting.
I was in Beloit, WI once (not with my bike) in my car, I had just opened a bottle of water. When I got to the hotel I opened the window and poured out the water. It froze in mid pour. I was shocked never saw anything like that before.
2013 C14 Blue, Fenda Extenda, Radiator Screen, HeliBars, Glove Box Mod, 3M paint Protector, Rostra Cruise Control, TechSpec Tank Grips, Lowering Links and Side Stand, Front lowered, Lowered center stand, Balwin Seat.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 09:20:34 AM »
Classic Gerbings (no longer made but the current, heavy version is similar). Heavy glove, decent insulation and 27 watts of heat added. They are most useful if you have a heated jacket or jacket liner as the wires to power the gloves are already present and it becomes very easy to use them together. Otherwise, you have to use a series of 'Y' cables down the sleeves, or wire the gloves externally to a controller.

And a big gauntlet is a plus in my experience as it will entirely cover the end of your jacket and stop air leaks up the sleeves.

Brian

With all the experience here I was wondering if I could get opinions on winter gloves. The warmest available. Are there any that don't have a huge gauntlet? What do you guys like?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 10:01:35 AM »
Gerbings T5.  :thumbs: :thumbs:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 12:36:12 PM »
Classic Gerbings..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline rocknrod

• 2013 C14 - Blue
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 01:36:11 PM »
Thank you gentlemen. I just went to the online warming store and I guess I have to get my head around all that.  :o

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 02:19:00 PM »
Looks like all you've got to do is write the check.  ;)

Offline rocknrod

• 2013 C14 - Blue
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 03:16:02 PM »
Looks like all you've got to do is write the check.  ;)
Thats all  :'(
This is where the Scotsman in me comes out.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2014, 03:20:17 PM »
No doubt. The full rig looks spendy. I don't ride in the cold enough to justify it.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 03:45:08 PM »
With the heated grips, you only need good insulation on the backside of the hand.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money, www.bargainoutfitters.com usually has some snowmobile gloves for around $35. 

I have found Ski gloves to be warmer than any other glove because of the loft, but of course no abrasion protection. 

I have a pair of Tourmaster Cold-tex gloves that were reasonable and pretty warm.  Also have a pair of Alpinestars Jet Gore-Tex gloves that are absolutely waterproof, but not warm enough in 30 degree weather.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2014, 04:16:30 PM »
With the heated grips, you only need good insulation on the backside of the hand.

I don't agree TWA, heated grips are great down to about 40 degree's IMO, but once in the 30's or even colder in the 20's the Gerbings heated gloves are way better and keep my hands toasty warm no matter what.  :)

I can't believe I rode bikes in the cold winter temps for 25+ years before finally just pulling the trigger on heated gear...  :banghead:

Offline Kawi Ken

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2014, 04:29:21 PM »
2009 C-14 Fast Color !
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.
http://youtu.be/jrFJQwYFJWw

Offline rocknrod

• 2013 C14 - Blue
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2014, 05:45:25 PM »
I can't believe I rode bikes in the cold winter temps for 25+ years before finally just pulling the trigger on heated gear...  :banghead:
That's probably what I'll find out :)

Offline clogan

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2014, 06:36:12 PM »
Generic "Hippo Hands" from Cal Sci for $30 bucks or so.

Cheap
Warm
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2014, 08:35:07 PM »

Offline xsv

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2014, 09:05:57 PM »
I pulled the trigger on a heated liner and gloves last year.  However, I went the economical route and so far I am happy.

http://www.cyclegear.com/SEDICI-HOTWIRED-Heated-Jacket-Liner 83w liner $109 (comes with 4 position controller.  Lifetime warranty
http://www.cyclegear.com/SEDICI-HOTWIRED-Heated-Leather-Gloves-With-Controller gloves with built in controller $120.  Lifetime warranty

The controller for the liner is just OK.  It has 4 settings, but trying to manipulate it through your outer coat...yeah not so hot.  I will be adding a powered remote heat troller in the future.

The gloves are fine with the low, med, high on each glove.  The gloves are independently controlled so you can run one on high and one on low if you like.

I picked up this coat at the same http://www.cyclegear.com/SEDICI-Alexi-3-Season-Mesh-Motorcycle-Jacket It comes with two liners; a rain liner and quilted liner.  I leave the quilted liner at home.  With the heated gear in a side bag I am comfortable taking ONLY this jacket on trips.  Prior to the heated gear I always had several coats.  The heated gear has allowed me to travel with less gear. :)  With this setup I have ridden from the 20's to the 90's temperature range.

2015 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2014, 10:23:30 PM »
If yer gonna go heated gear, here's what I did, couple years later it has been flawless since install, makes me almost look forward to winter...  :thumbs: :thumbs: :chugbeer:

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=10985.msg134149#msg134149

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2014, 10:44:51 PM »

Yep.  In fact, I don't even use the heated grips all THAT much, unless it is quite cold (40's and below).  I bought a pair of heavy winter gloves and have never even used them once, yet.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline rocknrod

• 2013 C14 - Blue
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2014, 07:57:28 AM »
Nice ZG  :thumbs: