Author Topic: Front rotors  (Read 15316 times)

Offline connie and me

Front rotors
« on: September 27, 2014, 08:39:44 AM »
Greetings,  So my 12 connie bike, at 14,000 miles, need rotors,  ::) I know where to go for car stuff, but not bike stuff... do I go with OEM, aftermarket, used, <(just kidding) the pulsing is very annoying, especially with the linked in function, back to front. just don't know where to go or to buy from....
2012 Black

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Front rotors
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 08:50:05 AM »
If they are pulsing and you can feel it through the lever then they may be warped.  Your warranty should take care of that but I thought that most of that was taken care of in the latest models.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 09:49:42 AM »
EBC  :thumbs: :thumbs:

jirod

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 10:07:56 AM »
... just don't know where to go or to buy from....

Might be covered by warranty, for sure if you got the extended plan.  If you decide to buy, check with Murph (murphkits.com). Bought a full EBC set of rotors and pads 3,000 miles ago. So far, so good. Be sure to follow EBC recommendations at http://ebcbrakes.com/articles/bedding-in-new-motorcycle-pads-and-rotors/

Offline connie and me

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 01:19:38 PM »
thanks guys!!  def. a pulse in the lever, sllooowwly getting worse, might wait till winter to replace,,  just looking for idea's.... btw. this started at about 10,000 miles....
2012 Black

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 02:53:33 PM »
Just ordered the Chinese Rotors, will try that for now with Gen 2 pads.  I am under warranty but not worth my time getting the same problem fixed again later after fighting for warranty coverage.

Offline tomp

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 04:42:12 PM »
556alpha,
Worked as a service adviser in the early 90's for Mazda.  The top of the line 929 had horrible rotors.  We replaced all four on untold amount of cars, again and again.  No new products were available to us, so we kept replacing bad rotors with more bad rotors.  Tons of very upset customers, even with free warranty replacements. 

I would use my warranty and ask if the  new rotors have different part #'s from the OEM ones, with which you are having problems.  Most parts, once installed, normally have a 12 month warranty, even if your extended warranty ends earlier, so new problems should be covered too, up to a total of the original replacement warranty period.    May want to place the Chinese rotors in the closet, for an  out of warranty future date...You paid for the warranty, use it.  If not. the warranty company just made money without responsibility, and that's what they want...tp
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 09:24:20 PM »
If not. the warranty company just made money without responsibility, and that's what they want...tp

I don't think there is a warranty company with the factory warranty or the factory extended warranty.  It is just Kawasaki.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jtk1531

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2014, 09:55:51 PM »
i've switched to EBC rotors and brake pads, absolutely satisfied with it.
bought the rotors from http://ebcbrakesdirect.com
bought EBC pads from ebay.

Offline tomp

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2014, 09:59:38 AM »
I don't think there is a warranty company with the factory warranty or the factory extended warranty.  It is just Kawasaki.

I agree with that, and even if it is just Kawi, they do sell the warranties with the hopes that the purchaser doesn't ever need or actually have to use it.  Extended Warranty sales are generally designed as a profit center for the manufacturer.  Same with electronics and appliance purchases.  Aren't you always asked at point of sale, "Wouldn't you like to extend this products warranty for only $XX.xx, today and today only?"  Pure profit,  probably close to 99% of the time. 

FWIW, normally, after market extended warranty companies wouldn't cover rotors anyway, as they,  like sparkplugs, hoses,  pads, O/F, etc,  are all considered "normal wear items".  If Kawi covers rotors under the original factory issued warranty, then they should also be covered in their extended warranty, as it is simply an extention of the original one. 

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 12:06:01 PM »
Probably a good idea, I will call the dealer tomorrow and see if they will work with me.  If you do not buy from them sometimes they are less than helpful.    I have the Kawa warranty.

Offline tomp

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2014, 06:56:48 PM »
Probably a good idea, I will call the dealer tomorrow and see if they will work with me.  If you do not buy from them sometimes they are less than helpful.    I have the Kawa warranty.

Don't think they have a choice in the matter.  Kawi is Kawi, everywhere, and your warranty card, or computer info, should be good as gold at  any dealer.  If not, a call to Kawi USA is in order, to correct a dealer's reluctance.  The dealer gets paid to do the work, so should be no skin off their nose...Good luck.  Warpped  rotors suck ,and are dangerous, to boot.  tomp

Offline tonedeaf

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2014, 07:18:53 PM »
Might be covered by warranty, for sure if you got the extended plan.  If you decide to buy, check with Murph (murphkits.com). Bought a full EBC set of rotors and pads 3,000 miles ago. So far, so good. Be sure to follow EBC recommendations at http://ebcbrakes.com/articles/bedding-in-new-motorcycle-pads-and-rotors/

My rotors have stunk since new. I recently got my 16,000 mile service and asked them to take a close look at the rotors. They mic'ed them out and they were in spec, so no warranty. They will not even ride the bike to see how bad the problem is -- if they are in spec they are OK, no matter how poorly they work.

It will be EBCs for me this winter.

Offline stelt

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2014, 07:35:03 PM »
Bought EBC rotors and pads....absolutely fixed the pulse problem....now I've got to do the back cause I can tell the rear brake is fairly useless.....Oh well it's only $$ ;D ;D

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2014, 10:41:31 PM »
Don't think they have a choice in the matter.  Kawi is Kawi, everywhere, and your warranty card, or computer info, should be good as gold at  any dealer.  If not, a call to Kawi USA is in order, to correct a dealer's reluctance.  The dealer gets paid to do the work, so should be no skin off their nose..

The issue is that dealers often do not get paid as much with warranty work as with regular work.  So some will hem and haw and delay and make excuses and tack on unnecessary unrelated charges and generally act badly.  Especially true if they have lots of work in the queue already.  Other times they are afraid they will get a denial and not get paid and yet told the customer it was covered, so it is a lot of hassle.  They are not supposed to treat the customer any differently, but we have some reports of when this happens.  And it should be reported to Kawasaki central when it is suspected.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2014, 07:06:51 AM »
Buy a can of spray brake cleaner.
Hose down the rivets that attach the rotor to the carrier whilst turning them with an allen key.
Once they all turn easily take her out for a test.
If it fixes the problem or improves it, do it once a month or every few thousand miles.

I kept my OEM front rotors going until I replaced with the Arashi ones at 42000 miles.
At that point they were at 4.1mm thick and the recommended minimum is 4.5mm.
Have had the Arashi's since then and they are great. There was a slight pulsing initially with these but cleaning the surface with a green scotchbrite and some brake cleaner fixed that.

Rear still has the OEM rotor and plenty of meat left in it too.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2014, 12:42:59 PM »
The issue is that dealers often do not get paid as much with warranty work as with regular work.  So some will hem and haw and delay and make excuses and tack on unnecessary unrelated charges and generally act badly.  Especially true if they have lots of work in the queue already.  Other times they are afraid they will get a denial and not get paid and yet told the customer it was covered, so it is a lot of hassle.  They are not supposed to treat the customer any differently, but we have some reports of when this happens.  And it should be reported to Kawasaki central when it is suspected.

EXACTLY....I dropped it off.  Will fill you guys in when I hear back.  The brakes are unsafe at speed when warm so I will be replacing one way or the other.  I just hate having mu bike in the hands of others when I have had way too many bad experiences with having the bike returned damaged.  The pulsating was horrible and ruined the experience to the point of not wanting to ride.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 03:22:02 PM by 556ALPHA »

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2014, 12:45:03 PM »
Buy a can of spray brake cleaner.
Hose down the rivets that attach the rotor to the carrier whilst turning them with an allen key.
Once they all turn easily take her out for a test.
If it fixes the problem or improves it, do it once a month or every few thousand miles.

I kept my OEM front rotors going until I replaced with the Arashi ones at 42000 miles.
At that point they were at 4.1mm thick and the recommended minimum is 4.5mm.
Have had the Arashi's since then and they are great. There was a slight pulsing initially with these but cleaning the surface with a green scotchbrite and some brake cleaner fixed that.

Rear still has the OEM rotor and plenty of meat left in it too.

I tried that about 3 weekd ago and may have helped slightly.  Cleaned the calipers and rotors as well but at this point either Kawa or me will be fixing the problem once and for all.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2014, 03:14:47 PM »
Got word that Kawasaki agreed to replace the front rotors and pads.  I inquired about part numbers and the dealer said that the parts are for 2012 and later C14's.  I have not taken the time to look up the numbers, has anyone with a 2012 or later had to have the rotors and pads replaced?  I will put the Chinese Rotors and 2014 Factory pads on the shelf just in case I need them. 

On a side note they also agreed to replace the instrument cluster from where the sun damaged the needles and housing. 

Thanks for encouraging me to try using the warranty, total cost of parts alone is almost $1900.00 before labor.  Id say the warranty paid for itself. 

looks like 09 and 10 rotors are the same, diff number for 2011, and another number for 2012

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2014, 04:19:55 PM »
That's great news. It's good to see that Ma Kaw is good for the warranty.  :thumbs: