Author Topic: Bike vibrates from 85miles/hr  (Read 20539 times)

Offline tomp

Re: Bike vibrates from 85miles/hr
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2014, 05:28:15 PM »
I agree Jim. Sounds like the tire.

Yep.  Try this.  Break the tire beads off the rims and turn it 180 degrees, and reseat the beads, and balance.  Possible that the heavy part of the tire and wheel are aligned, creating a situation that balancing cannot correct.  Common with car tires, so could work for motorcycles too... tp
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2014, 03:33:33 AM »
I didn't re-read all the previous posts, so I don't know if it was thrown in, so here I go: have you checked the steering bearing? (I hope that's the name in English, because in my Spanglish it sounds perfect  ;D)
I had some funny things happening at 110 mph and after correct tightening it never happened again, regardless of tyre, tyre pressure, seating position, top case, throttle bodies, the lot. I even went through 2 FOB batteries and it's still solid...
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2014, 05:02:18 AM »
That's something everyone should check on a periodic basis, however the problem started after a tire change.  It was rock steady before that according to the OP.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline PH14

« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2014, 06:01:40 AM »
Slap a Harley sticker on it and be done with it.  :thumbs:

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2014, 06:43:07 AM »

:rotflmao: Brilliant!

Son of Pappy

« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2014, 08:36:14 AM »
Don't forget, add a cup holder, chrome, and make sure it's black :-X

jirod

« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2014, 03:18:15 PM »
So,  what ever happened to cause this shaking at 85 mph, yubee? What did you do to fix it?

Offline tomp

« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2014, 03:22:30 PM »
I wondered that, too...  My Dyna vibrates at start offs, but at highway speeds is very smooth.  You guys must be thinking about the shovel heads and earlier rigid mounted engines.....tp

Offline 1jeep

« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2014, 07:52:52 AM »
My previous HD ultra cvo had to go back to the dealer 3 times due to vibration after they replaced the tires. Some just dont balance well, i think HD was under the impression that none of their bikes could get up to 70 to have a vibration.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2014, 11:42:15 PM »
they might get to 70, it'll just take a little while...
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #70 on: September 09, 2014, 04:30:05 AM »
And whilst we poke fun at HD and their riders, I can certainly say that I see them on the road and riding (albeit in pirate gear) much more than myself a and having a grand time of it.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 05:59:26 AM by VirginiaJim »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #71 on: September 09, 2014, 05:55:50 AM »
And whilst we poke fun at HD and their riders, I can certainly say that I see them on the rode and riding (albeit in pirate gear) much more than myself a and having a grand time of it.

Sometimes you don't even have to see them...
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2014, 06:00:00 AM »
Very true.

Offline 1jeep

« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2014, 06:08:45 AM »
And whilst we poke fun at HD and their riders, I can certainly say that I see them on the road and riding (albeit in pirate gear) much more than myself a and having a grand time of it.

After having had spent $36k on a Harley and suffering through two of them along with the harrassement i get from my HD friends i think i have the right to poke a little fun at them! Besides i ride everyday, 70 miles round trip to work, only missed 3 days since may that i had to drive the truck. Yes, they get all dressed up and go on big ellaborate rides 4 times a year, doesnt mean they are having any more fun than we are.

I still have all my pirate gear....not sure what to do with it, doubt i will be wearing chaps and a vest on the concours!

As for being louder, yes i think ther is some advantage to that, i dont think the cages see or hear me coming on my sewing machine.

Offline tomp

« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2014, 06:57:51 AM »
Hope this doesn't turn into a MOCO bashing thread.  There's enough of those on most every motorcycle forum not directly associated with Harleys.  Like it or not, they make a big contribution to the sport/hobby of riding.  In US new bike sales, over the past years, better than one out of two sold had a Harley vin#, over doubling our presence on the road. 

The majority of those buyers would probably not have bought had it not been their desire for a Harley.  We wouldn't have the Star, Shadow, Vulcan, or Boulavard lines from Japan manufacturers, in their attempts to compete for the cruiser market share either. 

Name recognition is MOCO's winningest attribute.  Any time some learns that I  am a rider, the first question to me is, "Do you ride a Harley?"  Not a Kawi, BMW, Honda, Yamaha, Moto Guzzi, etc, but a Harley, as that is what the public thinks of when they think of motorcycles.   

Kinda like the NY Yankees.  They're not my team, but they were the team that made baseball as popular  as it became.  Everyone spoke of the Yankee's as God's gift to baseball for decades,  not so much today, but they drew millions  to stadiums  to watch guys hit a small white ball.    Just morning mental wanderings on my part.  tp

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2014, 08:06:26 AM »
I do not think Jim would allow that to happen- this is a moderated forum.

On the other side of the coin, poking a bit of fun at another brand, and especially one so very, very different than the one that this forum is based on will happen and I would think it would be expected. Not to worry though, the Fudgers, the 'Drank the Kool Aid' BMW folks and just about everybody else gets it too.

Hey, I hang around with a BMW group and am actually amazed at how well they take a little poking about the brand.

Brian

Hope this doesn't turn into a MOCO bashing thread.

<snip>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline tomp

« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2014, 08:30:21 AM »
I understand that.  Besides the C14, I also ride a Dyna and an RT, so I get the pirate and espresso jabs from time to time.  Funny thing is, I've never dressed as a pirate or ride with any who do.    As far as espresso goes, I don't even drink coffee, so that pinky finger out grip on a cup's not my thing either. 

It is a guy thing to poke at other guys (not that  way), in friendship.  Been on both sides of that over the years, and am glad that Jim is here to keep things civil.  Some sites get way out of hand and the anonymous trolls and haters run amuck, ruining it for the others. 

MOCO does know how to market, and does it with out claiming the be the fastest, most modern, latest electronics, smoothest ride, etc.  They say when you ride a Harley, you are both part of history and the future of motorcycling.  Works for them, quite well. 

Offline 1jeep

« Reply #77 on: September 09, 2014, 08:31:08 AM »
My intention wasnt to turnt this into a HD bash sesson, i do that face to face with those riders...they claim to be my friends still..lol I wont say i will never own one of those again or beat them down too badly as i never know what will happen 10 years form now. There are still some things i miss about the harley and yes, when i pull up on the kawasaki people dont come running over to see it. When i crack that throttle it doesnt deliver the same thunder or make me feel like a real man, they are two totaly differnt rides.

No doubt Harley marketing does a great job and their dealer network is like non other in this country, very hard to pull into a kawi dealer on a saturday afternoon in no mans land and have them change your tire right then and there.

Offline tomp

« Reply #78 on: September 09, 2014, 08:35:04 AM »
That be the truth. 

BTW, did we ever find out why the OP's bike was vibrating at 85?  If so I don't remember it...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #79 on: September 09, 2014, 04:59:14 PM »
I still have all my pirate gear....not sure what to do with it, doubt i will be wearing chaps and a vest on the concours!

I bought and wear black leather chaps on the Concours whenever it is cold.  Added protection, added warmth, easy to remove at my destination, etc.  Pretty much any other "pirate gear" is a waste because it is for show, not protection (toy half-helmets, fingerless gloves, unarmored sleeveless vests, etc)

As for being louder, yes i think ther is some advantage to that, i dont think the cages see or hear me coming on my sewing machine.

There really is no "advantage".  It is illegal, and extremely annoying for everyone that has to live nearby.  I would be beyond embarrassed riding such a thing (and this is not limited to HD types, although they seem to be the worst offenders).  It generally doesn't do a thing for "cages" in front of you because the sound comes out of the back and the sound is non-directional even if it is heard.  It is far, far better to have good lighting and predictive/defensive driving because everyone is out to kill us.  :(

And as a closing note, my favorite link on this topic: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_F_Word_%28South_Park%29
http://southpark.cc.com/full-episodes/s13e12-the-f-word#source=6b9ca5c9-c3e1-431b-bd57-4c2a369455bd%3A25eebf82-ed8e-11e0-aca6-0026b9414f30&position=12&sort=!airdate
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc