Author Topic: Ebola victim in the U.S.  (Read 27901 times)

Offline jettawreck

Re: Ebola victim in the U.S.
« Reply #100 on: October 16, 2014, 08:34:40 PM »
So now instead of containing the known infected nurses in Dallas, they move them around the country so more exposure possibilities. Spread the fear around. That's a great containment plan.
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #101 on: October 17, 2014, 03:35:05 AM »
So now instead of containing the known infected nurses in Dallas, they move them around the country so more exposure possibilities. Spread the fear around. That's a great containment plan.
fify

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #102 on: October 17, 2014, 04:02:45 AM »
Personally, I think we're safer with them at facilities where they know what they're doing instead of where they were.  Sounds like it was a cluster F... in Texas...at least from the news stories I'm hearing.  What worries me though, is the idiot safety guy with absolutely no protective gear with the clipboard that they're showing videos of moving the second nurse.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #103 on: October 17, 2014, 04:40:21 AM »
As long as we don't have a dozen ebolites we're good....

US Has Capacity for 11 Ebola Patients at Specialized Hospitals
ABC News‎ - 14 hours ago
There are four hospitals with biocontainment facilities in the United States, and they have 11 beds that can be used at any one time for Ebola patients, officials told ABC News. Four of those beds are currently being occupied by Ebola patients.
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/us-capacity-11-ebola-patients-specialized-hospitals/story?id=26251721

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #104 on: October 17, 2014, 05:49:01 AM »
That is a concern for sure..  My personal thoughts are to stop anyone from entering the country from the affected countries but I don't think that's going to happen.  All the mucky mucks are saying don't panic  :yikes: but when someone who contracts this has to be put in total isolation and everyone has to be in hazmat suits to treat them and it has a high fatality rate if not in isolation or treated in time, I do think it's time to put the brakes on anyone coming from that area to be stopped from entering the country.

What are they going to do if someone from Africa comes in a flight and has a temp?  Quarantine everyone on that flight and anyone in the terminal with them?  Do they have an isolation hanger for the aircraft?  I don't think that they've really thought this one thru.

Personally I wouldn't want to be on any aircraft with someone from that neck of the woods, temp or not.  And yes it does sound like I'm  :yikes: but I think we're only at the early stages of this affecting our country and based on what happened in Texas I have no confidence in any local hospital handling anything remotely infectious.  I think I'll just go put my head in the sand.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #105 on: October 17, 2014, 05:53:55 AM »
It's the open borders/unrestricted flights crowd that has it's collective head up it's a$$ in the sand.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #106 on: October 17, 2014, 06:55:04 AM »
I agree with the concept of "DON'T PANIC". 4 cases do not make an epidemic here in the US. That said it is only common sense to stay ahead of this thing and keep contained. I think we should do the following:

1. No direct commercial flights from stricken areas
2. Put in place protocols for charter flights to screen and quarantine if necessary
3. Cancel all new visa's for non-citizens from stricken countries
4. Screen/quarantine protocols for citizens returning from stricken countries

This is not panicking, this is keeping it contained while it is still small in this country. In 1918, less than 100 years ago, a flu pandemic took the lives of 50 million people world wide. 25% of the US was effected. Ebola is an order of magnitude more deadly. 70% mortality rate. Don't panic but lets stay ahead of this thing.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #107 on: October 17, 2014, 08:59:07 AM »
Cruise anyone...

Texas Hospital Worker Who May Have Handled Ebola Samples Is on Caribbean Cruise
NBCNews.com‎ - 20 mins ago
A Texas hospital lab supervisor who may have handled fluid samples from Ebola victim ...

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ebola-virus-outbreak/texas-hospital-worker-who-may-have-handled-ebola-samples-caribbean-n227971

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #108 on: October 17, 2014, 01:06:31 PM »
I heard that story this morning.  As if cruise ships aren't bad enough already....what the hell was this person thinking, other than her own satisfaction? 

Offline rocknrod

• 2013 C14 - Blue
Master Chief, US Navy, Retired
2013 C14 Blue, Fenda Extenda, Radiator Screen, HeliBars, Glove Box Mod, 3M paint Protector, Rostra Cruise Control, TechSpec Tank Grips, Lowering Links and Side Stand, Front lowered, Lowered center stand, Balwin Seat.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #110 on: October 17, 2014, 04:22:26 PM »
I heard that story this morning.  As if cruise ships aren't bad enough already....what the hell was this person thinking, other than her own satisfaction?

I guess that they were thinking the same way that the nurse was thinking when she went to Cleveland...

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #111 on: October 21, 2014, 12:01:05 PM »
Just tripped over this article and I think it sums up our situation regarding Ebola very well: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/10/19/disease-history-vs-disease-hysteria.html

I especially like the paragraph: "So far, from Dallas to Dulles, one out of every 110 million Americans have contracted Ebola here in the states.  Of those, none have died."

Reminds me of SNL back in the mid- 70's when they use to proclaim something to the effect.... ' for over a fiftieth of a century!' (that's two years but it sure sounds better when related to centuries).

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #112 on: October 15, 2015, 06:24:23 AM »
In the interest of keeping threads current....  Ebola as an STD... seems as 'they' new this and decided to withhold the info... What else might 'they' be withholding?

Health
Ebola lingers in semen for nine months
By James Gallagher
Health editor, BBC News website

Ebola persists in the semen of male survivors much longer than previously thought, a study shows.
The report in the New England Journal of Medicine found two-thirds of men had Ebola in their semen up to six months after infection, and a quarter after nine.
A separate study, in the same journal, reports Ebola being spread through sex with a survivor six months after their symptoms had started.
Men who have survived Ebola are being encouraged to wear condoms.
Previous outbreaks of Ebola had shown the virus was present in semen for 82 days after the onset of symptoms.
However, with huge numbers of Ebola-survivors now in West Africa, there is concern about how long the virus persists and if that poses a threat.

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #113 on: October 15, 2015, 07:02:24 AM »

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #114 on: October 15, 2015, 08:59:22 AM »
Oh great- now Monica Lewinsky won't even be able to get her clothes dry cleaned 'cause nobody will want to handle them.

Brian

In the interest of keeping threads current....  Ebola as an STD... seems as 'they' new this and decided to withhold the info... What else might 'they' be withholding?

Health
By James Gallagher

Ebola persists in the semen of male survivors much longer than previously thought, a study shows.
The report in the New England Journal of Medicine found two-thirds of men had Ebola in their semen up to six months after infection, and a quarter after nine.
A separate study, in the same journal, reports Ebola being spread through sex with a survivor six months after their symptoms had started.
Previous outbreaks of Ebola had shown the virus was present in semen for 82 days after the onset of symptoms.
However, with huge numbers of Ebola-survivors now in West Africa, there is concern about how long the virus persists and if that poses a threat.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #115 on: October 15, 2015, 11:34:38 AM »
She was ahead of the curve wasn't she?

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #116 on: October 15, 2015, 12:21:38 PM »
She was ahead of the curve wasn't she?

She certainly was "ahead" of something, I guess.
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #117 on: October 15, 2015, 12:56:53 PM »
She certainly was "ahead" of something, I guess.

If I understand correctly, she was head of the head department  :o

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #118 on: October 15, 2015, 12:58:57 PM »

Health
By James Gallagher

Is this the disease that dictates that one should not have sex with a mosquito?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #119 on: October 15, 2015, 02:54:48 PM »
I think it's from bush meat. "I told you not to eat the damn monkey!"  :pukeface: