Author Topic: Veloceraptor Attack  (Read 2139 times)

Offline Jim M.

• 2008 C-14
Veloceraptor Attack
« on: July 05, 2014, 12:48:19 PM »
Hawks are REALLY BIG! Especially when they are on your arm! Taking the scenic way home from Luray VA on the C-14 (Luray to Sperryville to Madison to Gordonsville to Orange to Fredericksburg) today, it was awesome weather and low traffic. All is well until coming out of Orange VA. Suddenly out of nowhere, an adult hawk flies in from my right and I hit him full on with my right forearm!!!! I'll tell you, being attacked by a veloceraptor was the last thing on my mind at the time! A wing is completely across my chest and he bounces off to my right. I'm too busy thinking WTF!!!!! for it to hurt much, but after the initial "pucker" moment passes, it is a bit sore. Wow! I'm still not believing it! I don't know what became of the hawk, but as big as he was (imagine someone throwing a baby at you at 45mph), I'm sure he wasn't hurt much more than I was. It didn't even touch the bike.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Veloceraptor Attack
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 01:34:10 PM »
Probably not attacking you but you got in the way of it going after a meal.  Unfortunately I see many dead hawks on the road that were intercepted by drivers.  Glad you're ok and hopefully the hawk is as well.  I know those roads well.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Jim M.

• 2008 C-14
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 01:48:48 PM »
 I think he was taking off from a ditch. Just really bad timing.

Offline DeansZG

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 01:52:12 PM »

Glad you were able to ride it out w/out any ill effects! 

A buddy & I were riding thru the western Ohio farmlands, with the corn in the fields about 6-7 ft. high & it was about 1/2 hr. before dusk. We both were wearing black colored helmets & travelling at a quite rapid pace ;D...  All of a sudden some bats dive-bombed our helmets & it knocked the front vent bar on mine completely off!  And here I thought deer was the only hazard to worry about!
'99 C10 "MissTriss" *sold*
'04 ZZR1200 "Sweet heart" *sold*
'81 GL1100 Interstate "Puttz"*sold*
'00 K12LT..."Battleship Galactica".....

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 04:39:00 PM »
I had a small bird hit my helmet on the side....destroyed the latching mechanism.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 06:25:00 PM »
...Damn you, Velociraptor!

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 11:56:30 PM »
I think you mean "raptor", as in bird of prey.

"Velociraptor" was a type of dinosaur.  No that  would seriously F you up.

If I recall, didn't Hogboy hit a turkey vulture some years ago?
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 12:33:44 PM »
Coming home from the national I took a detour before hitting Beckley w.va., due to a backup on the freeway. Went onto the scenic byway for about 20 miles or so,  I hit 3 bluebirds in 20 miles, all of them were dispatched rapidly.... and had a wild turkey swoop across the road without warning, and its wing actually brushed across my chest..... wow, that would have been a disaster hitting that beast.... I have no idea how I didn't get slammed, lucky timing is all... when I lived in virginia off rt 30, at Calno, I ran a backroad daily both directions for 7 miles of bliss eaach way, one afternoon I got swooped by a turkey buzzard, crossed in front of me at chest level, about 6 feet in front of my..windscreen..... I puckered up on that one, and it tok a while to pull the stich pants outta my butt when I got home.....

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Jim M.

• 2008 C-14
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 04:47:28 PM »
Today the wife and I were riding around some backroads between Stafford and King George VA and came up on a pair of buzzards in the road. Let's just say after hitting that hawk yesterday, I was REALLY damned careful when I went by them.

Yes, I'm aware of the difference between raptors and their ancient ancestors. I just thought it humorous when thinking of the speed of it coming out of nowhere for the hit.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 11:02:02 AM by Jim M. »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 06:19:30 PM »
Be glad that their chow down buddy (Bald Eagle) wasn't with them.  I've come up on that scenario in KG several times.