Author Topic: Help me spend some money  (Read 6124 times)

Offline tonedeaf

Help me spend some money
« on: June 23, 2014, 07:59:07 PM »
Time to upgrade some of the less than "fine" parts on my '11 C14. Do these upgrades seem to make sense?

1. Get rid of the crappy front rotors: EBC rotors (XC series) and pads.

2. Get a real horn: Sebalius? (prefer one that uses stock wiring).

3. Throttle tamer? Seems like a no brainer from what I read here.

Son of Pappy

Re: Help me spend some money
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 09:41:02 PM »
Do something different, get some training-not saying you are a bad rider, but will be far more beneficial than a loud horn (sam category IMHO as loud pipes save lives).  I was lucky and never had issues with the rotors, I just plain wore them out and went with the EBCs, loved them.  The throttle tamer is a band aid, just covers the lean condition, a PCV would be a better fix to smooth out power delivery.  I could go on, but I ride a dirt pig knowadays.

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 12:20:32 AM »
Here's my 2cents worth...

Horn upgrade? Absolutely! I went with a Wolo Badboy, very similar to the Stebil Nautilus, but around $40. Stock horn's a waste of effort POS.

I have pulsation from my stock fronts on my 2011. Started around 4000 miles. Got 17k miles now.
You might try what has helped me... Instead of spending money on it, or having them replaced under warranty...( waste of effort) i now stop 85% of the way using just the brake pedal. Then, right before the stop, I then add the lever, and bring more of the fronts in. This has reduced the pulsation a bunch.
Seems to have prolonged brake life, and the problem does not seem to be worsening.
Just a suggestion, based on my experience.

Does it at least need a good throttle lock? Absolutely! I installed a Throttlemeister. Then installed a Rostra. Best farkle $$ I've spent so far.

I also added 2" dropped peg brackets, AST touring pegs, Cee Bailey's HDUT windscreen, driving lights, tip over protection, fenda extender, phil's rack, 2" risers w/ Phil's wedges, Kawasaki Gel seat...

There are all kinds of things you can choose from. Do whatever improves it for YOU.

Now, if you really are offering to give me your $$ to spend... you've come to the right guy! I can do it...

Lol!  ;D
Bob
2011 C14 ABS black w/red/yellow, B.D.F lofuel W.E.,SSD h/g's,
2" setback risers, Phil's wedges/rear rack,K Gel-seat, Rostra CC, AST tourpegs, techspec, 2"droppegs, 4"droppass pegs, Fuzeblock,  7"Garmin, fenda ext, LED tag plate, Ip5S Ram mt, TMeister, Mirror LED t/s, Bestem TBox, CB HDUT w/s, TRex front/CC bag, Wolo Badboy, Tailbrights, Scala G9X, Scorpion EXO1200 Jag, PR4GT's55's, 55W Qz Dr

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 05:37:46 AM »
far more beneficial than a loud horn (same category IMHO as loud pipes save lives).

Not at all the same thing, as we have discussed at length before in other threads.  A loud horn can be a very valuable tool under certain circumstances but is no substitute for (yet can supplement) proper defensive driving and avoidance techniques.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 07:02:24 AM »
I like my throttle tamer and an alternative to a PCV is a Guhl reflash.

Offline clogan

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 07:04:51 AM »
I like my Wolo Bad Boy! Had one on 4 of my last 5 bikes. Came in handy a couple of weeks ago when used to turn a stampeding herd of cattle (I was on my KLR at the time). Also good for deer in the road, warning to dogs, greeting the neighbors, and telling the wife I'm home.
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline PH14

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 10:23:18 AM »
Not at all the same thing, as we have discussed at length before in other threads.  A loud horn can be a very valuable tool under certain circumstances but is no substitute for (yet can supplement) proper defensive driving and avoidance techniques.

Amen, I am all for training and situational awareness, that is your responsibility, but I also like a horn. It has helped me in the past while at the same time taking evasive action. I was able to get out of the car's way, but it was nice to sound a horn that alerted the driver's attention so that I didn't have to go fully off the road to  keep from getting hit. There are situations where a horn is nice, even more so if the horn can be heard, and the stock one can't be heard.

I got these: http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=130_133&products_id=356  I also bought the wiring harness that came with the relay. Easy installation, relatively speaking and I mounted them in the stock location. I added to the wires to make installing the relay easier but that isn't necessary. It was for where I wanted to install the relay though.

I personally would wear out the brake pads before doing anything else and I don't see the need for a Throttle Tamer. I would invest in a seat. Short of a seat, I would invest in a good masseuse to massage away the injuries inflicted by the seat at the end of each ride. A massage may simply add to the pain so invest in some ice packs as well, possibly so me special pills to take for later if you are married just in case things don't work well after a long ride. Oh, therapy helps relieve some of the mental trauma resulting from the battle done with the seat. You don't want to have flashbacks while sitting on the toilet, and stand to relieve the pain, it just gets messy.

Hope this helps.  :finger_fing11:

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 10:37:00 AM »
When someone comes over on me i prefer kicking the side of a car from 6 inches over the right painted stripe/shoulder over a junk aftermarket horn.  The volume inside of cars in FL (and most states) render horns useless.  And if that doesn;t, the attention span of the texting drivers and deafness of geriatrics does. 

Loud horns and exhausts are an utter waste in FL, and the state has stats to prove it
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline PH14

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 01:21:15 PM »
When someone comes over on me i prefer kicking the side of a car from 6 inches over the right painted stripe/shoulder over a junk aftermarket horn.  The volume inside of cars in FL (and most states) render horns useless.  And if that doesn;t, the attention span of the texting drivers and deafness of geriatrics does. 

Loud horns and exhausts are an utter waste in FL, and the state has stats to prove it

So true unfortunately. Still, I want a horn that works. The loud pipe argument is easily disproven by the doppler effect and by the fact it is a continuous drone that people tune out. A horn right next to them usually gets a response, often reduced to the simplest single digit, because it is associated with danger.

The stock horn doesn't stand a chance against other noise, an aftermarket one does. With the old horn, I couldn't even hear it myself while wearing ear plugs at highway speeds, I can hear the aftermarket one with ear plugs while listening to music at any speed.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 02:30:58 PM »
Horns again.  When you hear a loud noise, what do you do?  Yes, look at it.  What happens when we look at things when riding or driving?  Yes, head in that direction.  IMHO, loud horns do no good whatsoever, none.  Just my professional OPINION, but what do I know? 

Offline PH14

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 02:57:29 PM »
Horns again.  When you hear a loud noise, what do you do?  Yes, look at it.  What happens when we look at things when riding or driving?  Yes, head in that direction.  IMHO, loud horns do no good whatsoever, none.  Just my professional OPINION, but what do I know?

In your opinion, I can buy that, in my experience, I have seen people react and turn away from my bike, or car, or truck. As you said though, education and good riding are important. I would hate to be without a horn though. It has been useful, in my experience, and that is not an opinion, it is based on fact.

Offline RBX QB

Help me spend some money ...
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2014, 03:51:11 PM »
In your opinion, I can buy that, in my experience, I have seen people react and turn away from my bike, or car, or truck. As you said though, education and good riding are important. I would hate to be without a horn though. It has been useful, in my experience, and that is not an opinion, it is based on fact.

That...

The horn on my Duc has put someone into a curb... they merged without looking (I was even with their front door)... honked as I swerved... they overcorrected and hit the curb on the other side of them. That alone was worth the $40 and hour install. Not to mention the other times where hitting my horn has stopped people from merging on top of me (always on the Duc, never on the C14).

That said, horns (like pipes, gear, etc) are no replacement for riding techniques and reaction times... they can only mitigate the danger, and offer a little peace of mind.

Back on topic... If you need to spend some money, I'd like some new toys for MY bike... is that the kind of money spending help you were asking for?  ;D
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 04:26:03 AM by VirginiaJim »
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 04:31:59 AM »
Horns have worked for me in stopping a cage from trying to take my space where I had nowhere to go.  The backup is a boot to the door...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ljcorby

• COG#: 9359
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2014, 05:40:50 AM »
I went with the Screaming Banshee horn.  There was a group buy a few years back.  So good I put one on my wifes 2011 Kia Optima.  Wow what a difference.   Good luck.
10 Kawi Concours 14 ABS

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2014, 05:45:05 AM »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2014, 08:18:49 AM »

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2014, 08:57:35 AM »
I'm reading some "kick the door" solutions here. Sure hope this is just hyperbole.
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2014, 02:18:30 PM »

I subscribe to that. Yet, a proper horn is, unfortunately, sometimes necessary and can make the difference between an incident or not.
I drive aggressive but defensive, but I'm also human and make mistakes just like everybody else, so once in a while I let somebody get too close. Exhausted all other options, a horn helps.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.