Author Topic: Hope the reviews on the Shinko 777 rear are true...  (Read 3855 times)

Offline timmerz

Hope the reviews on the Shinko 777 rear are true...
« on: May 31, 2014, 01:18:53 PM »
....'cause I just bought one...with shipping under $100 from Motorcycle Superstore.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
Re: Hope the reviews on the Shinko 777 rear are true...
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 07:53:44 PM »
....'cause I just bought one...with shipping under $100 from Motorcycle Superstore.
I just had 777 #3 mounted today. I pulled #2 off a bit early at 10,500 miles, heading out on a 5-6000 mile trip on the 14th, to include the Silverdammit. The tire still had about 2000 miles to the wear bars.

Edit to add: YMMV.  :rotflmao:
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline timmerz

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 06:44:49 PM »
Fingers crossed I can get even 2/3 of that wear you've been experiencing, it will be better than just about everything else I've had on this pup...

Offline timmerz

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 08:15:44 AM »
Wow....first ride to work on the new Shinko on the rear...been riding on a worn rear for so long I almost forgot what "flickability" meant...I come in on a roundabout path that involves some twisties, nothing major or outtageous, but good enough to get to about 2/3 of my riding capacity if I'm pushing it...had to keep a check on myself, because the eminent danger warnings were happening at about 30 mph faster than they were last week... :o
In a nutshell, I'm pretty happy so far...

Offline sq61708

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 07:36:54 PM »
I usually run Azarro/Storm II combo.  In your opinion do you know if the 777 are as sticky and predictable in the rain?

Offline timmerz

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 04:02:32 PM »
I'm sorry, no clue here, and I don't plan to find out....I just can't bring myself to ride in the rain, just too big a chance of something bad happening for me...
For what it's worth, I'm running a Storm II up front and a 777 on the rear, 36psi and 38psi, and I wouldn't trade what I'm feeling right now for anything...talk about being on a rail...

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 03:18:20 AM »
The 777 can be a little slick when turning, i found out in the rain when i was turning right leaving a red light, the rear slipped out and kind of scared me because it caught me off guard, but when i got it straight i taught that tire a lesson and smoked it!

on the highway it seems fine in a straight line but i slow a bit in corners and now i pay attention to clutch how much throttle i give when leaving red lights.

Note that there could have been unseen oil mixed with the rain when the rear slid out, almost all intersections have oil on the ground but when it rains you can't see it very good if at all to avoid it.

1986 California Connie 87k and counting

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2014, 04:52:59 AM »
The 777 can be a little slick when turning, i found out in the rain when i was turning right leaving a red light, the rear slipped out and kind of scared me because it caught me off guard,
+1, but I was turning left.  Like you, I chalked it up to the possibility of some oil on the road surface.  But then I felt it slip when I hit the paint line while accelerating onto an interstate, in completely dry conditions.  Had a few more slips here and there.  One slow-ish turn on some paint that was damp with some evening condensation sent me and the bike sliding across a lane.  Couple hundred $$ of damage (mirror, windshield, tip-over bar parts, plastic) and I decided I wouldn't put another 777 tire on.  I really wanted to like them, too.  Hoped they'd be a good replacement for the Pilot GTs.

So now I'm running the Avon Azaro/Storm combo and I'm very happy with their performance.  Though I'd be a little happier if they had a Wing sized rear for it.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 02:25:21 AM »
i loved the Azaro it had really good grip, but after 5200 miles it was done, i got just over 11k on my last 777 and now im half way threw my second and will probably buy another, yeah the painted lines and big arrows, 99% i drive the same roads and know where and when to dodge the painted arrows, most of my riding is pretty mellow on level ground and haven't had any other issues with the tire so im good for now.

1986 California Connie 87k and counting

Offline timmerz

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 08:38:32 AM »
I can identify with your whole post, Jet...my last 2 Azaro's only lasted around 5.5k and 4.9k before I was showing belt in the center...and I use the bike for commuting (although my commute route is a fun one) so I'm also travelling the same roads every day, so am aware of the hazards along the way...so far I am liking this Storm II/777 combination...

Offline flyboy3107

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 07:46:46 AM »
Happy with mine so far. Price was right.