Author Topic: rear tire split sidewall  (Read 12547 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: rear tire split sidewall
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2014, 09:55:22 AM »
Is it a crack or could it be a slice or cut from something? Is it only in one place on the tire or are they (cracks) all around the diameter? If the crack was in one place, did the tire sit for any length of time while the air pressure was low? For example, if you put the bike up for the winter, when breaking it out in the spring was a (or both) tires fairly low on air? If so, that might have caused a fold that causes the tire to crack.

Just thinking out loud here. The only tires I have seen do this were left for some time quite low on air- yard equipment tires for example tend to do this as they are left all winter and then in the spring, the tire is cracked or checked but we usually do not notice it so we will it up and go.

Brian

hey guys

before taking the bike for a ride yesterday, I noticed this

This is a Avon Storm Ultra tire, 3 years old and with 10000 mi on it. It s due but did not expect this

I keep tire pressure at 42-44, do not overload the bike and ride 2 up 50% of the time

Any idea
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2014, 10:36:39 AM »
I kinda agree on the low pressure storage reasoning, but only if it was flat..
The most damaging tire deterioration occurs when tires are stored near heat and electric motors, if you stored it in a garage next to a furnace or heatpump motor, the ozone will rot them fast.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2014, 11:13:14 AM »
107th reason I'll stick with Michelins  ;D

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2014, 03:09:12 PM »
Any angered girlfriends?
Lol...

I had a 3 month old PR2 rear last year that cracked badly in every sipe groove.
Sent it back and got credit.
I was looking closely at the one that I replaced it with yesterday and noticed it's starting to do the same thing. I have 9k miles on this one.

I have heard recently that motorcycle tire technology is several years behind car tire tech.
Beginning to believe it's true.

Sure can't tell, based on price these days!

On mine, it sits under cover, on my front porch...no direct sunlight, no heat sources.. No reason I can see.
2011 C14 ABS black w/red/yellow, B.D.F lofuel W.E.,SSD h/g's,
2" setback risers, Phil's wedges/rear rack,K Gel-seat, Rostra CC, AST tourpegs, techspec, 2"droppegs, 4"droppass pegs, Fuzeblock,  7"Garmin, fenda ext, LED tag plate, Ip5S Ram mt, TMeister, Mirror LED t/s, Bestem TBox, CB HDUT w/s, TRex front/CC bag, Wolo Badboy, Tailbrights, Scala G9X, Scorpion EXO1200 Jag, PR4GT's55's, 55W Qz Dr

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2014, 03:39:13 PM »
The most damaging tire deterioration occurs when tires are stored near heat and electric motors, if you stored it in a garage next to a furnace or heatpump motor, the ozone will rot them fast.

Ozone absolutely destroys rubber, and amazingly quickly too.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2014, 06:58:43 AM »
I only had Avon's on my C14 for 6 months but had Avon Venom and Cobra's on my Valkyrie for years. Once bought some older venom's that were stored for a couple of years, then ran them on my Valk for at least a year. Never saw a problem like this.

Offline speed545

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2014, 05:12:05 PM »
got a response from Avon. They re willing to apply warranty on the tire even if it s a 3 years tire. I already have an appointment for a PR3 installation at the same shop who sold me the Avonj. I ll see
08, Concours 14
Montreal Fire Dept

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2014, 06:21:26 PM »
Good job on getting the manufacturer to warranty a worn out 10,000 mile tire.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2014, 06:27:00 PM »
Good job on getting the manufacturer to warranty a worn out 10,000 mile tire.

;D :chugbeer:

Offline dolomoto

• '08 C14 "Hot, Nasty, Bad-Ass Speed"
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2014, 06:55:58 PM »
Internet search for Avon Storm delamination:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=avon%20storm%20delamination

It's a real problem. Photos and related posts on the linked thread on ADVrider.com

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2014, 07:12:00 PM »
Read a bit of the adv post. This guy was a slow learner. Not just one, or two, but three times with the same pos tire?
Hope he went out and bought a lotto ticket.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2014, 08:54:23 PM »
Internet search for Avon Storm delamination:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=avon%20storm%20delamination

It's a real problem. Photos and related posts on the linked thread on ADVrider.com

:yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

Not good.  >:(

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2014, 10:09:43 PM »
107th reason I'll stick with Michelins  ;D

^^^^^that
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2014, 03:07:27 PM »

:yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

Not good.  >:(

+1 I used to be a fan of Avon. After seeing that, give me Michelin or give me beer.  :chugbeer:

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2014, 05:47:17 PM »
give me Michelin or give me beer.  :chugbeer:

give me both...  ;) ;D :chugbeer:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2014, 06:12:12 PM »
+1!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline speed545

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2014, 06:41:04 PM »
well
got the PR3 on. Talk to the shop about the warranty on a worn out tire He s surprised. Told me he ll see what he can do. Don't have much hope.

any way, I have a set of PR3 on and ready to go

08, Concours 14
Montreal Fire Dept

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2014, 07:38:34 PM »
Talk to the shop about the warranty on a worn out tire He s surprised. Told me he ll see what he can do. Don't have much hope.

How much could you really expect from Avon in that the tire did not actually fail and has 10K in miles?

Which for the heavyweight powerhouse that the C14 is that is quite good in the mileage department...
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2014, 05:56:29 AM »
How much could you really expect from Avon in that the tire did not actually fail and has 10K in miles?

Which for the heavyweight svelte powerhouse that the C14 is that is quite good in the mileage department...

FIFY... ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2014, 06:06:38 AM »
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010