Author Topic: Anyone put significant miles on the Pilot Road 4s?  (Read 24977 times)

Offline copdocpvd

Anyone put significant miles on the Pilot Road 4s?
« on: May 05, 2014, 03:06:43 PM »
I've seen a bunch of tire threads (big surprise) but nothing with posts from members who have the PR4s and have put significant mileage on them.

How long have you had them?
Did you get the ST or GT version?  Why?
What did you pay and where?
How many miles?
Impressions, and how does the wear compare to others?
Would you buy again?

Trying to decide between the PR4s and Pirelli Angels.  I'm a bigger rider (250 pounds), aggressive in the twisties and corners, but it takes a couple hundred miles to GET to any twisties from here in North Dallas, so mileage/wear is a big deciding factor.

Thanks!
"When life throws you a curve...lean into it!"

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Anyone put significant miles on the Pilot Road 4s?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 05:47:42 PM »
I've seen a bunch of tire threads (big surprise) but nothing with posts from members who have the PR4s and have put significant mileage on them.

Well, they have only been out a few months.  I have only put a few hundred miles on them so far.

Did you get the ST or GT version?  Why?

GT, because we are riding a heavy sport touring bike and that is what the GT was designed for, and that is also what BWM chose for their sport touring bike.

What did you pay and where?

JakeWilson.com $350, free shipping.

Impressions, and how does the wear compare to others?

So far, fantastic.  But only time will tell.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 07:21:49 PM »
My first PR4 GT's arrived today from Jake Wilson dot com ;D   ;D    ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 07:32:52 PM »
Flat out Motorcycles in Indy/

147 front 204 rear. Installed with TPMS under warranty

90 slab miles Tuesday
212 mixed (State/US)  hiway miles Friday
325 mixed hiway miles Saturday ......a hundred or so at a fairly rapid speed.
286 mixed hiway miles Sunday
Not had them very long but they have a good feel. There is something I noticed this weekend and I am not sure of what I am feeling at times. It was very windy all weekend but at times did not feel well planted. I do not remember that feeling ever with the PR3's. It may have been the gusts...time will tell

2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 08:49:23 PM »
I thought I was going crazy to think that sidewinds made the feel bike unstable with the stock 021 Crapstones, but with the PR 2's or 3's it doesn't budge in the wind, so I'm not so feeble-minded yet. Someone should kick Bridgestone right in the ass for that dangerous p.o.s. tire.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 01:36:59 AM »
Well, they have only been out a few months.  I have only put a few hundred miles on them so far.

Lame excuse  ;)
I put 5000 miles on a set of Angels in 2 weeks during a trip to Ireland/Scottland. And remember that mental in Canada who put 222000 km in 2 years or so?
Now go ride!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 12:54:35 AM by martin_14 »
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline clogan

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 07:23:18 AM »
My first PR4 GT's arrived today from Jake Wilson dot com ;D   ;D    ;D

Curious????
I ordered mine from Jake on April 21...still on backorder as of today. ETA is now May 24. I ordered the 55 series rear; maybe Steve got the 50 series. Hmmmm....

Meanwhile I am enjoying the KLR. It is waaaay cheaper to ride anyhow.
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline clogan

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 04:07:06 PM »
Curious????
I ordered mine from Jake on April 21...still on backorder as of today. ETA is now May 24. I ordered the 55 series rear; maybe Steve got the 50 series. Hmmmm....

Meanwhile I am enjoying the KLR. It is waaaay cheaper to ride anyhow.

Edit: just now cancelled with Jake Wilson; reordered from AMT. cost $9 more for the rear, but at least they are in stock (or so the tell me)?

Edit again: after cancelling with Jake, and reordering from AMT, the guys at AMT emailed me the next day saying they do not have the tire either. Back order there too, it seems, even tho their web site does not say so. Thus, I cancelled with AMT, and reordered again from Jake. It seems there's a world wide back order on the GT series 190-55-17. Don't know about other sizes or the non GT series.
It may be June or later before I get tires. Meanwhile, I ride the KLR.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 07:15:49 AM by clogan »
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 12:56:16 AM »
Edit: just now cancelled with Jake Wilson; reordered from AMT. cost $9 more for the rear, but at least they are in stock (or so the tell me)

smart. Downtime is a bummer having such a nice bike...
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

• They don't call me crash for nothing...
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 09:14:47 PM »
I'll get back to you in a couple months... shouldn't take me long to get a few thousand miles on it since I'm now getting into my busy season.  Already got almost 1000 on 'em and they've only been on a couple weeks.  No signs of flat-spotting yet.  *Knock on wood* (easy boys... soft wood...)
2013 Kawasaki Concours 14 - CURRENT
2012 Yamaha V-Star 250 - WIFE'S
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R - SOLD
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 07:53:33 AM »
my update on the pr4 gt 55 set.
installed myself 4/18/14 new measurements rear 8/32 front 6/32  now 2650 miles later front 3-4/32 rear 4/32 remaining,  :censored:  (to the bottom, not the bar)
looking to be expensive and short lived for me, but the feel good, no complaints at all.

Joel

Offline JoeRau

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 08:32:54 AM »
my update on the pr4 gt 55 set.
installed myself 4/18/14 new measurements rear 8/32 front 6/32  now 2650 miles later front 3-4/32 rear 4/32 remaining,  :censored:  (to the bottom, not the bar)
looking to be expensive and short lived for me, but the feel good, no complaints at all.
Joel

Joel & I got our PR4 GT's about the same time.  I went with the 50 series rear because they where available.  I'm at 1800 miles with VERY little wear - front or rear.  I will admit Joel rides a lot harder than I do, which may account for the tire life.  Heck I got 6500 out of the stock 'stones.
2012 C14.  Black
COG member 10990

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 09:17:39 AM »
The PR4 trails are becoming a very popular tire for a growing number of V-Strom owners, and they are quite smitten with them.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Riverszzr

• Lloyd's Motorcycle Performance Center
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 09:33:22 AM »
 My local distributor has 3 of the GT 190/55-17 but the cost of them is stupid. They are at for dealer cost $229, isn't everyone online like $30-$40 less than that with free shipping?

Good thing I don't sell many Michelins.

But if one of you absolutely positively has to have one, I will get you one at my cost plus actual shipping costs. They have had 3 in inventory for over 3 weeks now-so I bet because they have them priced ridiculously high they don't move anytime soon. Damn good thing their Metzeler, Continental and Dunlop prices are good, or they wouldn't sell any tires.

Offline Bourne2Ride

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2014, 10:41:23 AM »
My local distributor has 3 of the GT 190/55-17 but the cost of them is stupid. They are at for dealer cost $229, isn't everyone online like $30-$40 less than that with free shipping?

Good thing I don't sell many Michelins.

But if one of you absolutely positively has to have one, I will get you one at my cost plus actual shipping costs. They have had 3 in inventory for over 3 weeks now-so I bet because they have them priced ridiculously high they don't move anytime soon. Damn good thing their Metzeler, Continental and Dunlop prices are good, or they wouldn't sell any tires.

I'm looking for a PR4 GT rear. I'd be interested in what you're talking about. PM sent.
Save the Connie and Save the world!
- Heroes

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2014, 11:07:34 AM »
I'll let you know the end of june.  Should have 5000 miles on them by then.  Varied conditions from interstate to goat trails.  LOL!  Well, not quite goat trails but some of the roads might not have been repaired from winter yet so might be worse than goat trails.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline pothole

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2014, 09:48:01 PM »
About 2k on PR4 GT'S, 190/55 rear. Just did 600 mile ride this last Tue-Thursday to Sierras. Mixed weather, totally sold on these tires. No visible wear. Don't really care about mileage. They just work!
This C-14 is now my 14th bike currently...too many is never enough.
Garmin GPS, Go Cruise, Helmet locks, Delkevic 13" Carbon Tri-Oval, Mag-Knight, Lamm seat, PrjctD Wings, Guhl ECU, Advanced Sport Touring 2" Pullback risers.

Offline Texas Concours14

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2014, 05:42:39 AM »
I just finished putting 1800 miles on a brand new set of PR4 GTs (190/50 in back) through twisties in New Mexico and Colorado. They worked well with predictable handling in corners and stability on straightaways. I was interested to read in the current issue of Motorcycle Consumer News that they bashed the PR4 GTs on the new BMW 1200 RT; first time I have read a negative comment about these excellent tires.
2010 C14 ABS

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2014, 07:05:18 AM »
Motorcycle Consumer News that they bashed the PR4 GTs

Could be a conflict of interest?

It is sad, but a lot of "reviews" on sites and magazines are heavily influenced by who happens to be advertising at the time...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2014, 10:19:33 AM »
MCN does not take advertising.