Author Topic: 2010 Key Fob/General Question  (Read 9622 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: 2010 Key Fob/General Question
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2014, 06:33:16 PM »
Yep, and of course it would be good to use words people can find in their own owner's manuals afterwards too.

The big problem here is that I just do not see a way to simplify this whole system. Those words as used in the manual don't really illuminate what is going on either. Not blaming Kawasaki here, it is a complex issue and let's be honest, most owners do not want to learn as much as they probably should.... until they are stuck, down to -0- fobs, etc. and then they certainly are all ears :-) 

I plan on just using pictures and trying to convey the information needed to actually use the system rather than spell out how it works. I am thinking of a step- by- step approach, almost like a diagnostic outline of what to do if <this> happens or does not happen.

Thanks for the info. as presented by Kawasaki though.

Brian

Brian,

To use Momma Kawasaki's own terminology, it would be something like this:

FOB, or Primary FOB:
Has KiPass Transponder Function
Has Immobilizer (emergency) Function when the battery is dead.
Has mechanical ignition key inside.

Spare FOB
Has Immobilizer function only.
Has mechanical ignition key inside.

Of course there's a bit more to it than that as you know, but that is what they are called in the owner's manual, and that is what their functions are called in the owner's manual. No matter how you slice it, it's still confusing because now, all these years later, there are so many different words for them;).

Cheers,
Rem ;)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2014, 06:40:14 PM »
It is an in- person seminar so it really isn't something transportable via some other media.

That said, it has been mentioned casually on the other forum that we could have streaming video from this year's national rally.... I do not know if anything will come of that or not but the fact is that just about everybody (myself excepted) has a smart phone of some type and either most or all of them have video capabilities so I would not be surprised if there are some casual video recordings. Now where they will go I do not know- it might be a COG thing. ??

You regulars KNOW I am not biased in this area (forum use) and freely share information through either forum, or any other method for that matter. But I am putting this thing on for COG and have no objection to that organization restricting the content to COG members. So please do bear in mind that there are benefits to actually being a member and I support that idea. So while I will not withhold information or help in whatever area I think I can help, I do support the idea that dues paying members of COG, like myself, receive some benefits perhaps not available elsewhere. It is not negative behavior for this forum or any participants but rather a positive thing for COG and its members.

Sorry, not trying to turn this into a sales pitch but dem dare are the facts, or at least my view of da' facts.  ;D

Brian

Sorry to hear that...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2014, 09:36:19 PM »
Why is that and any specific part?

Brian

Sorry to hear that...
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline pAint

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2014, 01:41:03 AM »
Guys,

Thanks for all the info. Luckily I was smart enough to do all the research before hand   :)

-Bike only came with one main fob (active fob)
-I ordered another main fob and also the credit card fob (passive)
-I do have the original packaging and even took a picture/wrote the registration # down   :D
-The passive fob does not need a registration #

Main issue I'm having is locating a dealer that knows what they are doing.... the few that I've called are like WTF about it or give me some ridiculous prices for the programming (which i know takes seconds from watching this video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYcqhMBv7q4&index=4&list=FLDy4ogr0SHsuvoW_-VGERxw

Just hoping one of you may have had a good experience with a dealer in my area. 

My pops is turning 60 so this is my big gift to him... something I've always wanted to do as a kid.

Just some info about what I ride since I'm new here.
-1st gen sv650
-2nd gen sv650s
-2013 DRZ400s

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2014, 03:34:57 AM »

Main issue I'm having is locating a dealer that knows what they are doing.... the few that I've called are like WTF about it or give me some ridiculous prices for the programming (which i know takes seconds from watching this video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYcqhMBv7q4&index=4&list=FLDy4ogr0SHsuvoW_-VGERxw

Unfortunately, this is a somewhat common problem. I've gone through it myself. If a particular Kawasaki dealer hasn't done many of these...or hasn't done any...then it turns into a bit of an issue to get FOB's registered because they're simply not used to it. It is exactly as they show it in the video. I can register Key FOBs in about 5 minutes, and that includes booting up the laptop, connecting the cable, etc...lol. The FOB registration itself does only take seconds. The closest Kawasaki dealer to me charges $79 + tax for this.

I can't help with a dealer recommendation...sorry. The only thing I can offer is this: When you finally do get the new FOB's registered, do exactly like they say in the video and test all of them before you leave the dealer. This process will include removing the main FOB batteries, just like they did in the video, to test the emergency function of the main FOB's. If the dealer tech is a real keener, he should be doing this to test and verify his own work anyway...but to remove any doubt, do it yourself.

And a big tip of the ball cap to you for buying your old man a motorcycle. That is pretty cool and it makes me smile to even read it and think about it. Enjoy those SV650's too! A good friend of mine has a couple of 'em as track machines....they're both rebuilds, so they're pretty rough around the edges, but they're super fun bikes for a tight track like ours.

Cheers,
Rem, ;D

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2014, 04:03:57 AM »
Why is that and any specific part?

Brian

Sorry to hear that it would be specific to COG and not something you would share with non COG C14 owners here.  I do understand your position on the subject.  I'm disappointed with that decision, but it is what it is.  I'm sure most of that information is buried in our forum somewhere.  I do appreciate all your efforts to help all C14 owners that are members of this forum.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 04:48:42 AM by VirginiaJim »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2014, 05:36:06 AM »
Just some info about what I ride since I'm new here.

You need your own Concours now :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2014, 07:55:26 AM »
I do share information freely with this forum. I think we may have miss- communicated: I can share the information with this or any other group but how would I do a live demonstration? That brings us to the part where some things may be recorded at the COG rally; such recordings would be the property of the recorder and, I would think, COG. They can do as they wish with such recordings.

The information I am passing out IS on this forum; there is even a thread somewhere where we discuss exactly what a new C-14 owner should get with the bike and know about the bike before riding.... at least very far :-)  And there are countless threads on the nuances of the C-14 all over the place on this forum.

I have no agenda with either forum vs. the other one and visit both often. I contribute to both. That said, I am a COG member and active participant in that organization also. All of the events I put on are open to the public so anyone, including members of this forum, could attend at his / her choice. I used to post such events on the calendar of this forum but to be frank, there does not seem to be much (read: any) interest in that so I have not bothered lately. But the COG calendar is available to everyone, the events are clearly laid out, virtually all are open to the public and so any casual non- COG member may attend almost any function(s).

Brian

Sorry to hear that it would be specific to COG and not something you would share with non COG C14 owners here.  I do understand your position on the subject.  I'm disappointed with that decision, but it is what it is.  I'm sure most of that information is buried in our forum somewhere.  I do appreciate all your efforts to help all C14 owners that are members of this forum.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2014, 08:56:12 AM »
Totally understood.  I must have mind-glossed over that live demonstration piece.  I know full well you can't do that here.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2014, 09:49:53 AM »
Totally understood.  I must have mind-glossed over that live demonstration piece.  I know full well you can't do that here.

Webcast?   ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline pAint

« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2014, 09:55:34 AM »
You need your own Concours now :)

Wahaha. I already have too many motos. I really love how the Concours feels... soo buttery sm00th.  Something I'd definitely look into when I get older :)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2014, 10:04:39 AM »
Webcast?   ;)

Based on Brian's comments it may be restricted to COG members only.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2014, 12:01:21 PM »
I do not think that is even possible but at any rate, what I meant was that it may only be available through COG. ??

Bear in mind that this whole thing was a suggestion / question from a member and no one has acted on it that I know of. So first of all, the most likely thing that comes out of any of this is.... nothing.

If someone does video a seminar(s), that person could do with it whatever he / she wished to the best of my knowledge. As I am unfamiliar with Webcast or 'video broadcasting across the Internet' in general, I don't know where / how such a video stream would be uploaded. Such a video stream may be open to the public. On the other hand, should COG initiate such a video stream, they would also control the output and that may be limited to anything / anyone they please but logic says that it would be COG members if it is restricted. I of course am not speaking for COG or any other entity, just mentioning what has been mentioned (casually at that) and speculating on what might be happening.

What I am slightly concerned about is that this might (or has?) turned sideways into a COG / non- COG thing and it is not. What I am talking about are seminars held during COG rallies and as far as I know, anyone, including non- COG members, can attend as long as the event fee is paid, which COG members also have to pay (although at a discount). COG is a very open community generally; I do not think I have heard of any events that COG has held that are not open to the public. What is exclusive to COG are things like the Concourier (the organization's magazine), technical articles, previously published technical data, etc. And to be honest, I support that policy because there must be something available to dues paying members or.... why would anyone pay dues? In a different light, spreading all information from COG to the general public puts dues paying members in the odd and frankly undesirable position of actually paying to support other, non- dues paying people.

So to sum up: 1) there is no conflict that I am aware of or can see between COG and any other individual or organization (such as this forum). 2) We are talking about a theoretical event that is not even particularly likely to happen in the first place IMO, and no one has any idea how it would be displayed if it did actually happen.

I am not and cannot speak for COG, these are just my thoughts and opinions. And Kirby's as well. His opinions used to differ a bit but three days without food and now he sees things my way....

And besides all that, I am pro- COG and encourage everyone who owns a Concours to join. There are member benefits but the biggest single one for me are the social gatherings, especially the regional rallies (usually one in the Spring and Fall). Great bunch of people in my area and I really enjoy hanging around with them. There are National rallies annually also and while I've only been to one so far, they are a lot of fun and pretty informative too (seminars and so forth). Lots of local stuff happens all year also- in a couple of weeks we will be having Tech Day in Massachusetts which is my favorite event and we even make some progress working on people's bikes, all by mistake of course :-)

Brian

Based on Brian's comments it may be restricted to COG members only.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2014, 12:52:48 PM »
No need for going sideways....we're all good.  I just got confused (easily done) over what you were talking about which is par for the 'cours.  Tell Kirby to be careful out there..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2014, 01:31:04 PM »
Wahaha. I already have too many motos. I really love how the Concours feels... soo buttery sm00th.  Something I'd definitely look into when I get older :)

!!!!!!!

You don't have to be "older" to appreciate quality :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline pAint

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2014, 01:33:00 PM »
UPDATE:

I ended up going to www.bertsmegamall.com down the street from me and they were able to hook me up. 
The tech was very cool and admitted he had not done the programming in a couple years. Told him that was fine and that I actually knew the programming steps in the software.  So we both ended up working on the moto. All passive/active fobs activated :D  Nice of them to let me into their HUGE service department. Charged me $45.  They also referred me to a locksmith that was able to get me a couple spare keys :D

Offline Conrad

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2014, 05:08:34 AM »
!!!!!!!

You don't have to be "older" to appreciate quality :)

:thumbs:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2014, 11:37:15 AM »
UPDATE:

I ended up going to www.bertsmegamall.com down the street from me and they were able to hook me up. 
The tech was very cool and admitted he had not done the programming in a couple years. Told him that was fine and that I actually knew the programming steps in the software.  So we both ended up working on the moto. All passive/active fobs activated :D  Nice of them to let me into their HUGE service department. Charged me $45.  They also referred me to a locksmith that was able to get me a couple spare keys :D

That's awesome!! Well done.

Rem 8)
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline Aegir

• 2012 - Candy Arabian Red
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2014, 06:58:25 PM »
So, this thread got me curious to test my "active" FOB with the battery removed. Took out battery, placed in position as detailed in owners manual and sure enough, would not recognize with battery out. Got the key error. Ugh. Glad caught before in middle of nowhere.  :censored:

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2014, 03:31:45 AM »
So, this thread got me curious to test my "active" FOB with the battery removed. Took out battery, placed in position as detailed in owners manual and sure enough, would not recognize with battery out. Got the key error. Ugh. Glad caught before in middle of nowhere.  :censored:

Yup...and that is exactly what happens, you'll get "Key ID Error" or something similar on the screen.

I think everybody should test them at some point and time, just to be safe.

Did you buy this bike brand new? Did you buy an extra FOB at some point? There is a reason this happens.

Cheers,
Rem 8)