Author Topic: Somewhat deep cut on saddle bag  (Read 2619 times)

Offline Awaz

• Arena
Somewhat deep cut on saddle bag
« on: June 13, 2011, 08:52:35 AM »
Been trying to work out the scratches from my latest connie drop. Saw some gouges on the saddle bags - wife tells me godzilla got hold of the saddle bag. No really, it is not that deep at all - but deep enough that sanding will not smooth it out. So was wondering what I can use to fill up the cuts - bondo, plastic glue stuff, anything else? I am not a body shop guy and so do not know my materials well enough. I can post pics if needed.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline JoeR

• COG 9284 / AMA 668669
Re: Somewhat deep cut on saddle bag
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 09:18:55 AM »
My Connie has a scratch on the top of the saddlebag from the previous owner's boot.  I tried a lot of different stuff, the one thing that worked was colored wax.  My bike is neutron silver.  I bought some silver Turtle Wax and mixed it with some black Turtle Wax that I already had.  It took a few tries, but I got the color very close, then applied it to the scratch with a toothpick, let it sit overnight, and carefully wiped it off the next morning.  I finally decided it was more of a pain than it was worth, and made some patterns of the tops and sides of the saddlebags, sent them to Tech Spec, and they cut out some covers for the saddlebags.  A scratch I can't see doesn't bother me.

Offline gflint

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 01:21:17 PM »
Some body shops will have a plastic welder.  If it is the correct type of plastic they can lay a bead in the groove then sand it down and repaint.  Might be a good time for some new reflectors.
Keep it simple - if no one has shot at me or tried to blow me up it is a good day.

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 02:08:41 PM »
If you're planning to repaint the bag, you can rough it up with a little 400/600 grit and fill it in with some plastic finishing putty. Make sure to use some plastic adhesion promoter first.

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 07:04:49 AM »
I had a scratch on the saddlebag on my 08 Gold Wing, I took it to a shop and had them pinstripe over it.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 08:11:54 AM »
I will have to get some fall protection before I go all fancy with paint and pin stripes. They are all awesome suggestion. For now, I will see if I can just use the plastic putty on the two seemingly deep groves and cover them up somehow. I will get them repainted or paint some graphics on top of those once I get the MC enterprise rear bars.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline mkorn

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 10:57:31 AM »
I had a scratch on the saddlebag on my 08 Gold Wing, I took it to a shop and had them pinstripe over it.

thats kewl looking!
2009 C14 ABS
2002 750 Nighthawk (sold)
2006 DRz 400s