Author Topic: Thanks, Mirrors  (Read 8930 times)

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
Re: Thanks, Mirrors
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2014, 06:22:29 AM »
+1 on the spot mirrors. I can't ride or drive anything without them. I try and push them on everyone. Get some!

And yes, don't blame what happens in front of you, on what you can't see behind you.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2014, 06:52:46 AM »
I have to turn around once in a while too, even though my mirrors work fairly well  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2014, 09:15:26 AM »
I have no issues with my 08 mirrors.  Maybe it is because I am over 6 feet tall and mostly I dont ride with bags on. I have spot mirrors too.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2014, 09:18:15 AM »
I have no issues with my 09 mirrors at all, maybe it's because I'm just use to sport bike mirrors and looking over the shoulder...  :-\

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2014, 11:24:14 AM »
I have no issues with my 09 mirrors at all, maybe it's because I'm just use to sport bike mirrors and looking over the shoulder...  :-\
Maybe it is because some of us are used to track bikes. 'We dont need no stinkin' mirrors.'
 :chugbeer:
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline PH14

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2014, 11:30:31 AM »
Compared to the mirrors on my old RC51 and other sport bikes I've ridden, the 2009 C14 mirrors are amazing.

Offline Jim M.

• 2008 C-14
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2014, 01:50:18 PM »
The last couple bikes I had (2005 C-10 and 2006 BMW K1200GT) both had much better mirrors. I have the round spots on the C-14 and they help give more view to blind spots on the side, however I there is no view at all directly behind me. I'm 6'2" and  broad shouldered. I also have risers and a Givi trunk on the rear. I also had trunks on the last couple bikes as well but I could still see directly at my 6. If I had been in my truck, I would have easily stopped because I would have known where the car behind me was and I wouldn't have feared being crushed from behind. For those saying I was too close, I mentioned that I let off the brakes for a second due to fear of being rear ended myself. That's what made the difference.  I also added that I had absolutely no skid on a non-ABS bike. That in itself means that I can brake pretty well and know what the hell I'm doing. Do you internet crash investigators even ride?  Believe me I'm not a newb. I've been riding and racing since I was 10 years old ( 54 now) and this is my 26th bike. Keep in mind that all this ran through my mind in just an instant. The decision was let off braking or be a hood ornament. I chose late braking. As it ended up, I barely touched the SUV enough to put an 1 1/2" scratch on the top of the fender.  All in all, I think I fared pretty well in that situation. Had I been hit from behind, I wouldn't be sharing my experience as I'd probably be in traction right now.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2014, 02:01:34 PM »
Do you internet crash investigators even ride?

Ok then. Well to answer your question, my 2009 C14 has 49,xxx miles on it, and I ride it 4-5 days a week, commuting in very heavy traffic in the San Francisco Bay Area. Now do I get to say you did something wrong?
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Jim M.

• 2008 C-14
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2014, 02:05:31 PM »
I make a similar commute year 'round also. Good on you.

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2014, 02:14:23 PM »
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2014, 02:16:05 PM »
That all being said, I would have probably face planted into the back of the vehicle.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline alexx45

• 2009 Black C14
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2014, 02:39:31 PM »
Having been rear ended 5 times ( 4 times in pick-ups & once on a motorcycle) I certainly understand your concern. I too like to know what's coming up behind me. BTW these are the only accidends I've ever been in that involved another vehicle. Just sayin...
Life is good.... At least from my perspective.
2009 Concours 14
2005 Suzuki Bandit

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2014, 01:19:49 AM »
...For those saying I was too close, I mentioned that I let off the brakes for a second due to fear of being rear ended myself. That's what made the difference.  I also added that I had absolutely no skid on a non-ABS bike. That in itself means that I can brake pretty well and know what the hell I'm doing. Do you internet crash investigators even ride?  Believe me I'm not a newb. I've been riding and racing since I was 10 years old ( 54 now) and this is my 26th bike. Keep in mind that all this ran through my mind in just an instant. The decision was let off braking or be a hood ornament. I chose late braking. As it ended up, I barely touched the SUV enough to put an 1 1/2" scratch on the top of the fender.  All in all, I think I fared pretty well in that situation. Had I been hit from behind, I wouldn't be sharing my experience as I'd probably be in traction right now.

Jim, I understand your point, and share it partially, but at the end of the day you rear-ended the vehicle in front of you. So: you were too close for the situation you were in.
And I'll take the bait too: I ride no less than 20 000 miles a year, most of it in my C14 and a lot in other bikes, mainly BMWs, but also Triumph's and Ducati's because of my work. I do have some pretty intense training and experience both on the track and on the street.
"Internet crash investigator"? Nice.
Overlooking that: do yourself a favor and keep more distance next time.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 03:54:23 AM by martin_14 »
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2014, 03:57:35 AM »
and a lot in other bikes, mainly BMWs, but also Triumph's and Ducati's because of my work.

:yikes:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline mike-s4

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2014, 04:51:21 PM »
These look cool!
http://www.motorcycle-parts.are-us.com/PROD/ttc_mirrors_bada_bing_spearstem_vt_34-0798.html

Wrong type of bike- that is for the slow/show type :)  Can't image they would be every effective.... at least as far as the primary function of a mirror!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline flitemdic

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2014, 04:44:03 PM »
Wrong type of bike- that is for the slow/show type :)  Can't image they would be every effective.... at least as far as the primary function of a mirror!

Oh, I don't know Max- I think it would set off my mud flaps quite well.  (I got it, Mike- the clue was in the link title: "...bada bing..."  Bwahahaha)

OP, I feel ya, the Blackbird mirrors were so bad even with extenders, that it your case I'd have probably just gone to the right and up the shoulder without being able to even think about checking six.  Glad you are OK.

Offline Shoe

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2014, 06:45:44 PM »
Glad you are okay and that you were able to stop in time even if the SUV helped.

You won't like what I am going to say. When you hit someone in the rear it is your fault. Whether you are in a car or on a bike. It's not the mirror's fault. The C14 has great brakes. Use the 2 second rule. The MCSF recommends that you leave even more space if someone is following too close.

It sounds like you've been riding for a while so take some time out and adjust your mirrors.

Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2014, 08:18:51 PM »
I added mirror mounts that bolt onto the clutch and brake lever mounting points.  They are threaded to accept mirrors of your choice.  They allow me to see my wife behind me on her own bike when I have the bags on.  I got the entire setup on envy for about $20.00

I understand the dynamics of the crash but agree that an increase in following distance would have been the best way to avoid it.  Glad that you just had minor damages.  I am terribly aware of what's behind me at all times. 

Offline clogan

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2014, 06:41:48 PM »
All this dissatisfaction with the C14 mirrors begs the question: why don't people adjust their mirrors so that they can see?

I don't understand. Every time I drive my wife's car, I cannot see out of the mirrors. But instead of complaining about how crappy the Ford Focus mirrors are, I adjust them. Is this not possible with the C14? I must confess that the mirrors on my C14 are completely satisfactory in every way...so much so that I have never had the need to adjust them (I'm 6' even, 220lbs.) not once. Ever. In 14 months and 9,000 miles of riding.

Now, all this moaning has got me to conclude that maybe they are not adjustable at all. Hmmmmm.....need to check that next time I ride. But who would build a bike with non-adjustable mirrors? This is crazy.
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400