Author Topic: Suggestions for cleaning the wheel bearings when replacing the bearing seals  (Read 5708 times)

Offline ZG

• Arena

Offline MGvaleri

Maintenance = Eternity. Few words with deeds.

http://youtu.be/9-VXjX503J8

MGvalerio. 8)
Centauro ancora a  60 anni,..che non finisca mai!!!

Offline Riverszzr

• Lloyd's Motorcycle Performance Center
 Just like the video above, I remove the outer shield on the bearing and I actually use a chain saw tip grease pump to push fresh grease through the bearing and hand pack the outside of it then reinstall that seal. I have run 3 bikes beyond 100,000 miles on the oe original bearings just doing that one time (usually within the first tire change or two). One of those bikes I rode over 256,000 miles with oe original bearings and it saw plenty of 145mph race duty/track duty in its 19 year life span but also was ridden through water above the footpegs, snow and salty roads too often as well, not to even mention the multiple times it was ridden for 1600 miles pretty much non stop heading to or from Bike week.

As far as the far outer dust seal, yes wipe it clean and the area behind it with every tire change, or anytime you have the wheel off just to keep the grit away more than anything.

Bearings themselves are pretty cheap though, and if you actually pulled the seal of both sides you would see they don't use much grease in them.

I see bikes all the time with sub 20k on them with rusty bearings or completely dry ones that you can feel are "gritty".  Many of those are the cleanest bikes in the world and those cleaners can be harsh and dissolve the grease, or pressure washed or even a concentrated extended stream out of the spray nozzle of your hose will likely force some moisture into the bearing past that seal.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Based on that logic my bearings should last forever as the bike is rarely washed... ;) :)   Vindication at last!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Riverszzr

• Lloyd's Motorcycle Performance Center
Based on that logic my bearings should last forever as the bike is rarely washed... ;) :)   Vindication at last!

That is not what I said.

So perhaps go back and read the post again.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Nah, I'm sticking to my story.. ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

omcrider

Offline elektradw

• 21st Century Crusade
I have gone through 5 sets of tires in 65K on my 2011. I replaced the front and rear dust seals at 50K. However, I always remove the wheels and replace them myself when having new tires mounted. That gives me the opportunity to clean and lightly grease the seals/spacers and check the bearings for smoothness at each tire change. I have never attempted to remove the grease retaining seal on a bearing but if that is doable it may be worth the effort to add additional grease. My question is this: On my boat and Kendon bike trailer the bearings need to be cleaned and repacked approximately every 5K, which I do religiously. In both owners manuals they specify using the SAME grease (a quality marine waterproof grease) as there are many grease formulations that do not mix. Does anyone know the specs on the OEM wheel bearing grease? Am I understanding that the grease retaining seals can be removed and replaced on 2011 GTR OEM wheel bearings? thanks in advance.
'68 Hoda 305 Dream, '76 Triumph Bonneville,  '85 BMW K100, '85 BMW K100 Turbo, '95 HD Heritage, '97 HD Dresser, '99HD Roadking, '01 HD Dynaglide, '08 C14, '11 C14