Author Topic: Suggestions for cleaning the wheel bearings when replacing the bearing seals  (Read 5709 times)

Offline Spanky

I am going to replace the bearing seals and tps batteries when I change my tires. Any suggestions on technique or what to use to clean around the bearing? I remember BDF talking about this but I could not find the thread. Thanks for your help.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
The bearings are sealed and should not be cleaned.
If you mean cleaning up underneath the dust covers then just use a rag.
Do not introduce any water or other solvents as this will wreck the bearing.
You would be better off replacing the bearings instead.
The fronts are good for 25k miles and the rears 50k miles.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
This is one way NOT to do it:
http://youtu.be/ZBX_8Y1o5hU
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline connie14boy

I will be pissed if I have to replace wheel bearings every 25,000 miles.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
I haven't replaced mine yet and I have close to 60k miles on mine.  I do check them periodically and so far they appear to be sound.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Yep, as already mentioned, just wipe any debris out of there with a rag. I also pack a finger- full of grease in the front edge of the bearing, really for the seal instead of the bearing (the bearings are sealed).

Keep the seals working and the water out of the wheel hub and see if you have a motorcycle long enough to 'wear' out the wheel bearings.

Brian

I am going to replace the bearing seals and tps batteries when I change my tires. Any suggestions on technique or what to use to clean around the bearing? I remember BDF talking about this but I could not find the thread. Thanks for your help.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
Yep, as already mentioned, just wipe any debris out of there with a rag. I also pack a finger- full of grease in the front edge of the bearing, really for the seal instead of the bearing (the bearings are sealed).

Keep the seals working and the water out of the wheel hub and see if you have a motorcycle long enough to 'wear' out the wheel bearings.

Brian

Yup, I'm with Brian here. I sometimes wipe a little grease on the front of the bearing itself...just a dab around in the inner race...if anything is going to get in a 'sealed' bearing, that's where it will pass through.

I service a lot of bikes, and I haven't had to change a wheel bearing yet, except for when they must be removed...for powder coating rims, etc.

I've seen the outer seal/dust seal lips get pretty ratty after a while, and the seal collars will get scored as well, so make sure everything is nice and smooth there.

I don't know why it is, but I see these areas often lubricated way too much. A little wipe of grease on the bearings, and another wipe on the collars is all ya need imho.
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
I clean my axle and apply a light coating of grease on it before installation. I always clean the lip of the seal as well. I also would never spray my bike with high pressure water, but do dry it off with air.
Sorry, I guess my reply doesn't address the initial post. I would wipe it with a paper towel and leave it at that. I think front axle torque is 94 lbs. Go back and forth with the pinch bolts, as they change when you torque the other side.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline charles r

This is one way NOT to do it:
http://youtu.be/ZBX_8Y1o5hU

God! that video made me cringe!
Those bozos have no idea just how much energy they put into that potential frag grenade... :o

Offline BudCallaghan

• Rider proficiency determines worth of horsepower

Brian

I agree with Brian, as usual, he if offering good, sound advice.  However, I do not agree with Boomer.  Considering the size of the wheel bearing and their low load and rotational speed they're good for one hell of a lot more miles than 50,000.  My old '79 Yamaha 1100 has 219,000 miles on the original wheel bearings.  On all my bikes I verify the integrity of the wheel bearings at every tire change and have only changed them on dirt bikes.
Never let schooling interfere with your education or your ambition.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator

I agree with Brian, as usual, he if offering good, sound advice.  However, I do not agree with Boomer.  Considering the size of the wheel bearing and their low load and rotational speed they're good for one hell of a lot more miles than 50,000.  My old '79 Yamaha 1100 has 219,000 miles on the original wheel bearings.  On all my bikes I verify the integrity of the wheel bearings at every tire change and have only changed them on dirt bikes.

Very likely that your older than dirt Yamahammer had bigger wheel bearings than your sweet modern Concours does.... On the very early C10 Concours the bearings were large 6302 if I'm not mistaken and later models got smaller 6203 bearing that lost a lot of load carry abilities. I'm not current on the C14 but I believe that Big-K still uses the smaller bearing and they are not as long lived as you would think....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
Very likely that your older than dirt Yamahammer had bigger wheel bearings than your sweet modern Concours does.... On the very early C10 Concours the bearings were large 6302 if I'm not mistaken and later models got smaller 6203 bearing that lost a lot of load carry abilities. I'm not current on the C14 but I believe that Big-K still uses the smaller bearing and they are not as long lived as you would think....

C14 front wheel bearings are 6005, which are a little heavier duty than the ones that were in the C10. However, the 6005 bearing has a lower speed rating (13,000 RPM instead of 16,000 RPM).

The biggest thing to keep mind with motorcycle wheel bearings, which BDF mentioned above, is to keep that outer lip seal in good condition. The term "Sealed Bearing" is a bit of a misnomer as they're not completely sealed. The seals are more like grease guards, that keep the dirt and debris out of the bearing, and keep the grease in. They don't do much in the way of stopping water/moisture. This is what the outer lip seal does. Have a good close look at them every time you have the front wheel off.

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
C14 front wheel bearings are 6005, which are a little heavier duty than the ones that were in the C10. However, the 6005 bearing has a lower speed rating (13,000 RPM instead of 16,000 RPM).

The biggest thing to keep mind with motorcycle wheel bearings, which BDF mentioned above, is to keep that outer lip seal in good condition. The term "Sealed Bearing" is a bit of a misnomer as they're not completely sealed. The seals are more like grease guards, that keep the dirt and debris out of the bearing, and keep the grease in. They don't do much in the way of stopping water/moisture. This is what the outer lip seal does. Have a good close look at them every time you have the front wheel off.

Hey thanks for the bearing info; yeah the 6005 is a fairly decent sized bearing it is the same as what I run as I've got a ZRX wheel on my C10... But I'd still say that your not going to get no 219K out of them and by 50K I'd be looking to change them at the next opportunity with high quality NTN, SKF, FAG bearing and not some cheap dollar store bearings....
Tony P. Crochet

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
Hey thanks for the bearing info; yeah the 6005 is a fairly decent sized bearing it is the same as what I run as I've got a ZRX wheel on my C10... But I'd still say that your not going to get no 219K out of them and by 50K I'd be looking to change them at the next opportunity with high quality NTN, SKF, FAG bearing and not some cheap dollar store bearings....

Yup, I usually use SKF bearings myself. They're great quality, and usually much less expensive from a bearing shop than buying from Kawasaki, which are often times NTN brand.

The clearance spec is also very important. I'd have to go check my notes, but I believe the 6005 front wheel bearings are usually 6005 C3, which is different than a standard 6005. The clearance spec is usually well marked, so if the old bearings are marked 6005 C3, then make sure the replacements are the same.

Offline st2sam

I haven't replaced mine yet and I have close to 60k miles on mine.  I do check them periodically and so far they appear to be sound.

Same here Jim. :thumbs:

I have never owned a bike with this many miles, so I have a few questions.

What are the symptoms of bearing failure, or one about to fail?
Do you get any type of warning?
Is anyone with a high mileage C14, lets say over 80,000mi., still running the original bearings?
2009 Kawasaki C14
1993 Ducati 907ie (for sale)

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
Same here Jim. :thumbs:

I have never owned a bike with this many miles, so I have a few questions.

What are the symptoms of bearing failure, or one about to fail?
Do you get any type of warning?
Is anyone with a high mileage C14, lets say over 80,000mi., still running the original bearings?

Unexpected case of wobble, gritty sound or feel when rolling the wheel or bike around... If you got 80K replace them as you've got more than your monies worth...
Tony P. Crochet

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Never cleaned mine, but did replace them at 80,000 miles even though they didn't need replacing.

I figured all the sand, deep water, snow and salt, etc mine have been through might be a good idea to replace them   ;D

I keep tellin' folks...just insure that FOB battery is fresh!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline ZG

• Arena
I replace mine every time I have the wheels powder coated a different color.  :) :chugbeer:

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
Every 6 weeks?
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.