Author Topic: Unconscious skydiver rescue  (Read 8410 times)

Offline MrPepsi

Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Unconscious skydiver rescue
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 12:32:27 PM »
Indeed.  Don't they have automatic parachute openers?  Just asking as I don't have any experience jumping out of a perfectly good aircraft...in flight.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 12:42:11 PM »
Indeed.  Don't they have automatic parachute openers?  Just asking as I don't have any experience jumping out of a perfectly good aircraft...in flight.

From another forum...

Quote from: BARF
Originally Posted by eeeeek 
asshole question: Don't the parachutes have altimeters that auto deploy the chute once they are something like 1500 feet above the ground?

Some do, but a lot don't. It's an option some people buy, but AAD (automatic activation device) have their own risks too. The devices are normally on the reserve chute, and can open too soon getting tangled in the plane, open both tangling the two. If you open your main to low, the reserve can also open. If you are tumbling out of control its activation will resulte in entanglement, ect. However, all students must have one until the get their license.

Even if he had an AAD the divers on his team do not know if he turned it on, or programmed it correctly, and trusting that his chute would open is about the dumbest thing I could think of. Could you imagine watching your passed out buddy fall to his death thinking the whole time, "come on chute, open up already."? 
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 01:27:40 PM »
Excellent information.  Glad Barf could help us out with that question... ;)   Barf, nice screen name, eh?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MrPepsi

Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 02:00:53 PM »
I sit corrected...still funny though.

Bergmen

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 03:25:34 PM »

Automatic Activation Devices (AAD) are highly recommended but not required (although some drop zones do). Most responsible parachutists involved in formation skydiving are equipped with modern devices. There are now several to choose from, the standard by which all are judged is called "Cypres", made by Airtec GmbH of Germany.

Generally installed in the reserve container to activate the reserve when two conditions exist (high rate of descent + minimum altitude above ground) they are considered benign and do not have to be managed other than initiation at the start of the jump day (using proper procedures). Regular battery changes and function testing are also required at certain intervals. They shut themselves off after a certain length of time (14 hours IIRC). Inadvertant activations are extremely rare and barely deserve consideration (as to whether they can create a dangerous situation as a result).

They are recommended for precisely what occured in the video. The other jumpers would not likely have known whether the unconcious jumper was equipped with an AAD or not, hence their actions. Other situations can also occur such as incapacitation due to heart attack or other health issues.

I wore one for many years. It reached it's "end of life" date of 12 years and I was required to take it out of service. At the time I was winding down my parachuting career and was no longer engaging in large formation dives so I just deactivated it and continued jumping without it. No worries, for the first 20 years of my jumping life, they didn't exist at all so I was back to where I was.

USPA member since 1971, USPA certified Jump Master and Static Line Instructor, D-20276.

Dan

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 03:34:13 PM »
You live so close Dan, take me take me!
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline MrSkydriver

• Gregg Hackett
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 03:39:53 PM »
That was very well done by his fellow jumpers! 

We had a camera man's oxygen mask come off before we exited the aircraft at 24,000', so he left while unconscious.  This was out of a tailgate aircraft and he was sandwiched between jumpers so he was pushed out.  He came to after about 1 minute of free fall.  I saw the video and it was remarkable since there were over 300 people on the jump.  It was a world record attempt in Russia........
Gregg Hackett - MrSkydriver@gmail.com 
'08 Concours ZG 1400 '03 Aprilia Tuono RSV 1000
Santa Rosa, CA
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 03:45:45 PM »
Its one thing to jump out of an airplane on purpose, its a whole 'nother to wake up in free fall. Damn!  :yikes:
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Bergmen

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 04:47:42 PM »
You live so close Dan, take me take me!

I would love to but I've been out of the sport for over 7 years. I do have recommendations as to where to go and who to see to schedule a tandem skydive. This will be one of the greatest experiences of your life, I highly recommend it. Spend the bucks, go to 14,000 feet, get video and stills. Don't scrimp, you will be glad you went for the full Monty. All of your friends, relatives, neighbors and those you will drag in off the street are going to get sick of you showing your DVD for the umpteenth time. But that is just what happens when one becomes a skydiver.

I instructed in the old school method (static line) almost extinct in the US. This was the only method we had to become parachutists back in the day, tandem jumping was still a twinkle in Bill Booth's eye (he invented tandem jumping among other great inventions).

Both of my sons and my daughter have jumped as well as my wife. They now understand a little bit of what makes me tick (the rest is impossible).

BTW, here is an old picture of me getting ready to board the plane on my first jump in 1971, descending after deployment and much later when I am giving my good long time friend Jerry a final gear and procedure check prior to his first static line jump when I was an active Instructor:

Dan

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 08:09:25 PM »

30 years as an A&P mechanic..........There's no such thing.

And it looks like this young woman was pretty lucky to have survived, albeit with some injuries:

http://www.komonews.com/news/national/Texas-teen-survives-skydive-after-parachute-mishap-242633551.html
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 10:01:11 PM »
Excellent information.  Glad Barf could help us out with that question... ;)  Barf, nice screen name, eh?

Nancy Pelosi inspired acronym 
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Bergmen

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 12:25:23 PM »

And it looks like this young woman was pretty lucky to have survived, albeit with some injuries:

http://www.komonews.com/news/national/Texas-teen-survives-skydive-after-parachute-mishap-242633551.html

10-4, no such thing as a "perfectly good aircraft", I can always find some tiny defect that makes it easy to exit - stage right.

The news media rarely get skydiving accidents correct. There is always something that happened that doesn't get reported or gets reported incorrectly. There is not enough there in this report to get a handle on what actually happened. The local paper in Los Banos reported my one and only cutaway back in 1974, got it mostly correct but left out a lot of the drama of my landing (went through 12,000 volt power lines and threw the main breaker at the substation knocking power out for the local community and causing a bit of fireworks at the drop zone that scared the bejezus out of everyone but me - didn't get a tingle):

And seriously, that C-182 is about as far away from a "perfectly good airplane" as one can get but is in far better shape than some of the rattle-traps I have jumped out of over the years (the ratty old Howards at Elsinore come to mind).

Dan

Bergmen

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 12:29:54 PM »
Nancy Pelosi inspired acronym 

Now that's just funny right there!

Dan

Bergmen

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 12:39:44 PM »
Its one thing to jump out of an airplane on purpose, its a whole 'nother to wake up in free fall. Damn!  :yikes:

Yeah, you wouldn't know if you are in the middle of a nightmare or a dream!

Dan

Son of Pappy

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2014, 05:10:07 PM »

If it landed without aid cars or fire trucks it was a perfectly good airplane 8)