Author Topic: I did not see this coming....  (Read 6011 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
I did not see this coming....
« on: January 27, 2014, 02:33:53 PM »
http://www.yahoo.com/food/booze-map-of-the-world-crushes-our-spirits-74417073147.html

Apparently, the US is a Vodka drinking nation. ?? I am shocked. I know Jim drinks vodka but I didn't think it was enough to skew the entire country. But then the whole map is outta' whack; #1 spirit in France is whiskey? #1 in the UK is Vodka? #1 in Ireland is Vodka? ?? Kinda' makes me wonder if the person who put this data together had too much to drink?

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Son of Pappy

Re: I did not see this coming....
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 02:47:09 PM »
Doing our DUI awareness classes at Ft Lewis I was truly stunned that vodka has become the drink of choice, almost across the board.  So many flavors, cheap, and well, cheap.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 02:53:13 PM »
Yeah, and no aging which translates to fast.... and cheap. You could drink a lot of Vodka sitting around waiting for a fine old single malt Scotch to hit 15 years of age.... :-)

Still, the UK? Ireland? Scotland? I would have figured Gin, whiskey (Irish) and whiskey (Scotch) for those countries. But I guess cheap works everywhere.

Brian

Doing our DUI awareness classes at Ft Lewis I was truly stunned that vodka has become the drink of choice, almost across the board.  So many flavors, cheap, and well, cheap.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Son of Pappy

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 03:07:48 PM »
Yeah, and no aging which translates to fast.... and cheap. You could drink a lot of Vodka sitting around waiting for a fine old single malt Scotch to hit 15 years of age.... :-)

Still, the UK? Ireland? Scotland? I would have figured Gin, whiskey (Irish) and whiskey (Scotch) for those countries. But I guess cheap works everywhere.

Brian
Works for Jim ;)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 03:31:11 PM »
so next russian brand URAL will knock KTM off the "fastest growing motorcycle company" spot!? 

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 03:56:43 PM »
And you just know there is a lot of Vodka in conjuring up that thing....

<glances to the left, glances to the right, puts on asbestos underwear> Hey, Vodka consumption would explain some American motorcycle manufacture's high sales, no?   :rotflmao:

Things are really beginning to make sense now.... I guess the world is a pretty great place considering how much we (the builders of the world) drink. No more time to talk- I am off to the liquor store!

Brian

so next russian brand URAL will knock KTM off the "fastest growing motorcycle company" spot!? 

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 04:50:36 PM »

Not the good stuff...  I drink Grey Goose and Ketel One...

Works for Jim ;)

Yes it does.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 05:10:21 PM »
Not the good stuff...  I drink Grey Goose and Ketel One...

Yes it does.
I cooked a ketel in a goose once after a bottle of Jim Beam ;)

Didn't see that coming, did ya?  8)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 08:06:09 PM »
No, I didn't but it's not surprising.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 08:31:52 PM »

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 08:50:50 PM »
I prefer beers...  :chugbeer:

But when I fly I like knocking back the vodka cranberries with lime.  :thumbs: :thumbs:

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 11:09:43 PM »
Vodka mixes with anything, except kool-aid (DAMHIK). It has no taste by itself, that's why you have to spike it with marshmallow flavoring. (I can see a S'more in the making. Just add some chocolate liqueur and a graham cracker).

Gin comes ready to go right out of the bottle, often with a splash of tonic water,or a 'wee dram' of vermouth, as God intended. I, and the Dutch, have known this for years, well before the Harvey Wallbanger was in vogue. Well before.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline Charlie747

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 01:08:25 AM »
Vodka mixes with anything, except kool-aid (DAMHIK). It has no taste by itself, that's why you have to spike it with marshmallow flavoring. (I can see a S'more in the making. Just add some chocolate liqueur and a graham cracker).  :doublepuke:

Gin comes ready to go right out of the bottle, often with a splash of tonic water,or a 'wee dram' of vermouth, as God intended. I, and the Dutch, have known this for years, well before the Harvey Wallbanger was in vogue. Well before. :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :chugbeer: :chugbeer: :chugbeer:

Rick

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 04:10:16 AM »
I prefer my Vodka not come pre-mixed with any flavors, but then that's the way I prefer my coffee as well.  My wife likes the different flavored varieties and we have several different kinds that's she's used to make mixed drinks which I don't touch with a 10 ft pole (the drinks and the vodka itself).  I also prefer glass bottles rather than plastic when it comes to any liquor.  I won't buy it if it comes in a plastic container.  Not prudent nor proper.

http://www.smirnoff.com/en-us/newmain/vodka-drinks/drink-products/smirnoff-fluffed-marshmallow.aspx#axzz2rezZwYTE

Like, what vodka drinker could turn this down?

Me, for one.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 08:22:04 AM »
We had an exercise in Poland for 2 weeks.  Vodka was flowing better than water come 1715.  A round for the bar was under $15.00  Good stuff.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 11:35:48 AM »
Mixes well, taste not strong, cheap, drink of choice for addicts, and in my opinion the big reason.....women, I see more women drinking Vodka than anything else when they choose to drink something other than wine.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 04:03:48 PM »
I did not realize that 'vodka' is really the generic term for almost anything distilled and sold 'as is' other than cutting it with water to reduce the alcohol content. That being the case, it would mean that it would be the cheapest, fastest of all spirits to produce.

I am not saying that all Vodka is cheap but the very cheapest spirits would have to be vodka.... I think.

Brian

Mixes well, taste not strong, cheap, drink of choice for addicts, and in my opinion the big reason.....women, I see more women drinking Vodka than anything else when they choose to drink something other than wine.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 06:53:13 PM »
For the longest time I thought the best Russian and Polish vodka was made with potatoes, now I just read that they think its terrible and that grain based is what they drink, from the freezer BTW, I learned this long ago drinking with the Russian Priest in the church basement. And, all gin starts as vodka.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Charlie747

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2014, 12:47:09 AM »
For the longest time I thought the best Russian and Polish vodka was made with potatoes, now I just read that they think its terrible and that grain based is what they drink, from the freezer BTW, I learned this long ago drinking with the Russian Priest in the church basement. And, all gin starts as vodka.

FYI

http://cellarandkitchen.adnams.co.uk/catalog/product/spirits-1/adnams-copper-house-distilled-gin-40-abv-70cl?gclid=COK6-8fsorwCFQj4wgodCWUArw

http://www.ginvodka.org/history/ginProduction.asp

http://www.ginvodka.org/londongin/

This is the link to enjoy the most and I must thank you all for motivating me to go look for how Gin is made  :chugbeer: :thumbs:

http://www.ginvodka.org/cocktails/

Hope these will keep those who enjoy Gin and Vodka loving Jim happy

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2014, 04:06:21 AM »
I can't do Gin anymore.  I got so thoroughly soused with it in my HS and early college years that I get the shudders just smelling it.  I worked for my father-in-law part time for the two years I was in college and we had gin every work night.... :_shudder_Emoticon .  I enjoyed the time with my father-in-law but I rather think we over indulged the Gin a bit much.