Author Topic: Glasses for "mature" folk to see small screens  (Read 6595 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Glasses for "mature" folk to see small screens
« on: January 14, 2014, 10:00:09 PM »
I may try these.  Saw this post on ADV forum.

Quote from: arborsmarty;23223988
A mate showed me his new safety glasses with a small magnifier near the bottom of the lenses.

I tried them in the workshop and they function like normal safety glasses however when I look down through the magnifying part they are like my reading glasses. I tried riding with them and they allowed me to read my GPS much better and don't effect my sight at long distance. I bought a clear and a tinted pair at my local safety shop (Web Safety) near Adelaide for $15.50 each. They are light weight, come in various magnification levels like reading glasses and fit well with my helmet therefore I highly recommend them.

Sent from my Crapple CryPad using Tapatalk
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: Glasses for "mature" folk to see small screens
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 10:04:09 PM »
And these, $10 total including  2-day shipped if you have an Amazon Prime account.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Readers-Glasses-Diopter-Bifocal/dp/B0013WIILW
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stevewfl

• Arena

Offline Gsun

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 10:52:30 PM »
Let us know if you try them.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 11:12:01 PM »
I can't believe any of those would work better than good prescription glasses.... which would also fix distance vision too.  I thought the whole cool concept we were working on was the stick-on magnifiers for the shield so one wouldn't have to mess with glasses at all (assuming distance vision were "good enough")...

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=15784.msg197868#msg197868
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001RRTDJO/ref=asc_df_B001RRTDJO2912094?tag=thefind0053396-20&creative=395261&creativeASIN=B001RRTDJO&linkCode=asn
http://www.amazon.com/OPTX-20-Stick-On-Bifocals-1-50/dp/B000W7CMW0/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hpc_2
http://optx2020.com/p-38-hydrotac-stick-on-bifocal-2-pair-offer.aspx?gclid=COmvkZ-o4bsCFcsRMwodjRAArg
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 11:14:32 PM »
I can't believe any of those would work better than good prescription glasses.... which would also fix distance vision too.  I thought the whole cool concept we were working on was the stick-on magnifiers for the shield so one wouldn't have to mess with glasses at all (assuming distance vision were "good enough")...

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=15784.msg197868#msg197868
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001RRTDJO/ref=asc_df_B001RRTDJO2912094?tag=thefind0053396-20&creative=395261&creativeASIN=B001RRTDJO&linkCode=asn
http://www.amazon.com/OPTX-20-Stick-On-Bifocals-1-50/dp/B000W7CMW0/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hpc_2
http://optx2020.com/p-38-hydrotac-stick-on-bifocal-2-pair-offer.aspx?gclid=COmvkZ-o4bsCFcsRMwodjRAArg

^^^i haven't got "that" mature quite yet...but I'm working on it

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 11:16:29 PM »
and why are those stick-on things so much more expensive than regular riding bifocal glasses are on amazon or ebay  :o

Offline blue14

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 03:16:35 AM »
The Dragon Store has the bifocal sunglasses for $10.00 in several different strengths.  I could see the distance and now I know how fast I am going :o
2010 C14, 2007 ZX14,  2004 KTM 300SXC

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 04:31:35 AM »
Let us know if you try them.

I don't have this same brand but I have a pair of these that I use in the workshop. They work great!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline shreveportSS

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 09:00:33 AM »
unfortunately I wear a pair of reader safety glasses. Get them at Fastenal or Grainger.
2011 Concours 14
2011 ZX1000GBF Ninja. Died Dec. 1st, 2012
2012 ZX1000HBF Ninja.

Offline LessPaul

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 09:37:10 AM »
Been wearing glasses since 4th grade. I have progressive lenses now with 3 blended settings for reading, computer monitor reading, and distance. They took a bit of getting used to, but it quickly gets instinctual to tilt one's head to zero in on the right section of lens.

If you need to use readers, it's only a matter of time before you end up with prescription glasses....or lasik surgery.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 09:52:39 AM »
Been wearing glasses since 4th grade. I have progressive lenses now with 3 blended settings for reading, computer monitor reading, and distance. They took a bit of getting used to, but it quickly gets instinctual to tilt one's head to zero in on the right section of lens.

If you need to use readers, it's only a matter of time before you end up with prescription glasses....or lasik surgery.

I'm just getting into reading glasses.  I'll do eventually do Lasik, but the new line of PRADA glasses is tempting too

Offline Conrad

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 10:26:49 AM »
I'm just getting into reading glasses.  I'll do eventually do Lasik, but the new line of PRADA glasses is tempting too

Steve, the forum fashionista.   8)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Son of Pappy

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 10:37:44 AM »
First, we are known as "Seasoned".  Mature is for those folks who see riders as troublesome, hell raising miscreants. ;)

Second, Don't use "aged", that is reserved for fine adult beverages. ;D

I had Lasik in '98.  They warned me that over time I would need to wear cheaters.  I was in high hopes that they would be wrong.  They were right.  On road the built in cheaters work great, I have been using them for a couple years.  Off road?  They suck big time, too much movement and where we look is much different than when on road.  I started carrying small, foldup cheaters, makes GPS setups a snap and I don't need cheaters to follow a line on the map, I just zoom in to the point turns come in a timely fashion.

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2014, 11:10:56 AM »
I had Lasik in '98.  They warned me that over time I would need to wear cheaters.  I was in high hopes that they would be wrong.  They were right. 
Ya, I had Lasik less then a year ago and I already have to wear reading glasses.  :(

But now I can see the hot chicks at the end of the aisle in the supermarket.  ;D

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 11:41:04 AM »
Put a new battery in your fob and you won't need no stinkin' glasses....

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 11:43:55 AM »
I would need magic glasses to see hot chicks at the end of the aisles of the markets I have been in.  :yikes:  In fact, a lot of the stuff I see in stores, male and female, is scary enough that I really do not want to bring it into better focus and have been considering going the other way....

Brian

Ya, I had Lasik less then a year ago and I already have to wear reading glasses.  :(

But now I can see the hot chicks at the end of the aisle in the supermarket.  ;D
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2014, 12:28:29 PM »
I would need magic glasses to see hot chicks at the end of the aisles of the markets I have been in.  :yikes:  In fact, a lot of the stuff I see in stores, male and female, is scary enough that I really do not want to bring it into better focus and have been considering going the other way....

Brian
Stay out of Walmart.  ;)

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2014, 02:59:44 PM »
Touche Sir!   :rotflmao:

But really, we shop at three different food stores and finding highly attractive people is not much of a problem. I guess maybe in the end, most people are just average?  ;)  Although I will say the folks who work in the stores go get progressively more presentable as the price of the merchandise goes up....

Back to the lenses, I still want to know where in WalMart the cheap, stick- on lenses are stocked? And yep, I am willing to risk the temporary condition of 'ugly in better focus' to find them. :-)

Brian

Stay out of Walmart.  ;)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2014, 04:16:41 PM »
Stay out of Walmart.  ;)

You beat me to it...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc