Author Topic: C14 or something else?  (Read 4884 times)

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
C14 or something else?
« on: June 11, 2011, 04:53:57 AM »
I have a group tour coming up in July to the Italian Alps, close to the Austrian border, and I have the chance to take my 1400GTR or choose between basically the whole BMW product portfolio. There is of course a short list in my mind:
- S1000RR -> Never drove it, and I'm honestly scared of it
- K1300S -> I did drive this one quite a bit, and it also scares me
- K1300GT -> I've never got to drive this one, and I'd love to, just to compare it with the Kawasaki
- R1200 GS -> I know for a fact that a good driver with one of these in the Alps will consistently overtake me, on the outside, in every curve. But I just loath the noise and vibrations of the boxer engine (I sold my RT, otherwise a fantastic bike, because of it)

The truth is that for one reason or another, I consider the 1400GTR a better bike, and it's the one I prefer to take. The big reason that holds me from taking it is that the loan BMWs are ensured and if I bite the dust it won't be my bike.

Opinions?
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Bob

Re: C14 or something else?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 05:01:44 AM »
Why not test ride and put the wear and tear, miles on their bike at the same time!

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 05:50:18 AM »
My 2 cents are use the bike you are most comfortable with: yours!

The other bikes may be great machines, but as you stated, you've ridden them before and didn't care for the vibrations, so why even bother?  It sounds like you'll be on some great roads and you don't want to waste part of the trip getting used to a BMW.  I understand your concerns about crashing, but I think you'd be safer with a bike that you know 100% instead of an unknown. 

Don't worry if your friends can constantly pass you.  No offense, but that just may be the way they ride and they may be more aggressive than you.  I have friends with "slower" bikes that will do things like go around blind corners fast and really beat on their bikes and I'll let them go around me so I can stay in my comfort zone.

Either way, it sounds like you are going to have a great time!  8)
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 08:09:40 AM »
K1300 or your Concours. They're the only two you have any interest in. Pick one, live with it and have a great trip!

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 10:03:28 AM »
Hi Martin,

Good to see you here again!

There are benefits to taking the bike you're most familiar with, and of course as we all know, the 1400GTR is the better bike.   ;)

That said, it's also great to see what all the fuss is about with regards to the other bikes.  Saying a bike scares you is, in my opinion, not a good enough reason to over look it.  After all, can you honestly say the 1400GTR didn't scare you a little before you got used to it?

All of those bikes are very capable, so it's really up to the rider to keep them under control.  I'm sure that after a few miles, and some twisties on the way there, you'll be riding any of them like a pro.

Instead of discounting a test ride based solely on your perception of the bike without first hand riding knowledge of it, I would base the decision on expected comfort level vs. the length of the trip, road conditions you're likely to encounter vs. which bike would best be suited for those conditions, and of course, how likely will it be to get a second chance to ride those bikes in the near future.

I know full well you can encounter snow in the Alps clear into July, so ABS and/or Traction control would be a nice to have.  Not sure if any of those are equipped or not.

Personally, I would love to test drive the S1000RR, but I don't think it would be comfortable for me for an all day ride.

Hope this helps, but regardless, let us know what you choose, and tell us all about the ride.

Enjoy, and ride safe!

--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 10:52:35 AM »
If you're willing to throw a 1200GS in the mix, why not a 1200RT, or is that not an option?

Offline Fretka

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 11:46:30 AM »
Having both the Conc as well as the BMW 1000 I would take a tour oriented bike on a tour! The 1000 is only good for "crazed weasel in heat" blasting through the twisties, the Conc does it all!
I don't give a hoot what other folks say, the 1000 is a difficult bike to ride.
Wretched excess visited upon an innocent C-14

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 02:55:16 PM »
A free ride on a 1000 would be fun though.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 03:02:19 PM »
I'd rather toast their bike than mine, and put the wear and tear on theirs too.  I'd probably go for the K13GT, better ergo for the ride.
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline koval68

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 03:52:35 PM »
Perfect opportunity to road test K1300GT ! Just Do It !
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline metzgerf16

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2011, 04:30:50 PM »
I'd be very interested to hear your comparison between the Connie and any of the Bimmers, but my advice would be to take the bike your most comfortable/confident on.  It sounds like you're going to be on some amazing roads while possibly encountering a wide range of weather.  IMHO, for this situation I'd prefer to be on my bike, but I'd probably be very tempted to try one of the Bimmers if given the option.  As far as a wipe out goes, you may not be liable for the demo bikes, but you will still get hurt just the same.  My primary riding buddy is laid up right now because he blacked out while riding.  His bike will cost $100 to fix (lucky bastard).  However, he did not fare as well.  He broke all ribs on his left side, fractured his scapula in 3 places, sustained a nasty concussion, and has a severely sprained ankle.  If you feel safer on your bike, that might be the way to go on a long mountain tour.  Whichever bike you choose, ride safe and have fun.
"You serious, Clark?"
'09 Red Concours- Sargent seat, Area-P exhaust, BMC filter, PC-V, flies out, PR2's, Murph's risers
'06 Ninja zx10r- Dear tiny baby Jesus, it's fast!

Offline slickcdb2000

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 09:18:30 AM »
I like to experiment and try other things, i'd say with the k1300gt!!!  Your connie wont mind if you see other people for just a little bit! 

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2011, 01:57:03 PM »
I'm with the group here. Unless you anticipate the ride will be very technical and learning a new bike might be difficult or dangerous, I'd try something new.

Offline DaveO

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2011, 02:59:02 PM »
i'll take the 1000 please.
I sport/toured on a gixxer 1k a few years back .. 4- 500  mile  days no problem.
If  you are  going to some good  tight roads theres nothing better than a real sport bike.
I guess we are different though .A 700 lb tour bike like c14 scares me worse  than a hardcore ripper for fast  sport riding.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2011, 04:32:29 PM »
S1000RR if I could ride those roads.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2011, 05:06:11 PM »
If you're willing to throw a 1200GS in the mix, why not a 1200RT, or is that not an option?

As I mentioned in the OP, I can't live with that boxer engine. Whenever I have to go from A to B I take the RT because is so comfy, or the GS Adventure because of the range (it'll do 600 km on a tank before getting into reserve), but for technical roads like we will face, not a chance. The suspension in those bikes is waaaay too soft and the rear too imprecise. Been there, tried that.
As for the K13GT, it's a runner up. Plus, I'm also wanting to compare it with the C14. I already tried the K1600 GT and that is an entirely different beast, a sort of sport-TOURER. Decisions, decisions...
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.