Author Topic: Rally? in Johnson City TN R U going?  (Read 5830 times)

Offline Miss Silvera

• "Listen With Your Eyes"
Rally? in Johnson City TN R U going?
« on: January 03, 2014, 07:52:23 AM »
Any body here planning to go to the "Rally" in Johnson City TN in June?

Though I am not a member of that "group" anymore, I thought it may be a good time to see some folks I haven't seen in many years and it would be a good ride...

"Listen With Your Eyes" 
Identify, Acquire, Press, Press, Move
Wit, Grit, Courage,and Determination .....
win gunfights

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Rally? in Johnson City TN R U going?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 08:02:10 AM »
A bunch of us are going from the northeast. This one looks like it will be bigger than most COG nationals and COG is making it a big think being the 25th anniversary and all.

Rev Rider has a beard from last year's national that I am going to shave off with a straight razor to raise money for the Over The Pond fund. Not all that interesting but I have never, ever shaved anyone else's face before; Rev better wear his collar to cover the big arteries.... :-)

A bunch of riding, a bunch of seminars, guest speakers and parking lot antics. It should be a good time. And I've never been inland anywhere in the south so I am looking forward to seeing at least a little bit of that part of the country.

Brian

Though I am not a member of that "group" anymore, I thought it may be a good time to see some folks I haven't seen in many years and it would be a good ride...
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 12:15:35 PM »
Seaside Oregon to somewhere on the East coast and then back to Johnson City. Not sure on my route yet, that could and is changing daily.  :)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 03:07:51 PM »

I'll be there.

Rev Rider has a beard from last year's national that I am going to shave off with a straight razor to raise money for the Over The Pond fund. Not all that interesting but I have never, ever shaved anyone else's face before; Rev better wear his collar to cover the big arteries.... :-)
Brian

Hmmm, maybe we should get some info from the furry rev, blood type and what not so we can pre-screen potential blood donors?

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 03:23:32 PM »
Hmmm, maybe we should get some info from the furry rev, blood type and what not so we can pre-screen potential blood donors?

If you line up the blood donor safety-net, Mr. BDF could get extra sloppy wielding the blade? ;D
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 03:44:28 PM »
Nope, not gonna' need any blood- I will be bringing a styptic pencil (new of course- Rev may have cooties ;D), an alum block for anything the styptic pencil can't take care of and just to be safe, a hydraulic tourniquet.  :yikes:

Now on a serious note, I am a little worried about this myself- I have never shaved anyone else other than one of my wife's legs after I promised not to cut her (but this is the same woman who believed me when I said I would not slide us down the road on a motorcycle so take her consent with a grain of salt). I just shaved off my own beard for the first time in something like 25 years because I thought I should at least shave my own face before Chuck's. I can shave my face well enough but Chuck's face is going to be all backwards and stuff. Maybe I should stand behind him and shave him in a mirror (yeah, that ought to lead to a whole new series of jokes)? At least Rev picked the charity to donate the proceeds to.

Sorry about the thread hijack.

Brian

If you line up the blood donor safety-net, Mr. BDF could get extra sloppy wielding the blade? ;D
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 07:22:19 PM »
My daughter has selfishly decided to get married during the National.  I tried to geet her to elope instead but NOOOO she wants a fancy church wedding.  Spoiled dang brat!  I blame her mother.

Offline 2fast

• COG #6497, North Central Area Director
    • C-10 Heat Shield photos
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 04:10:25 PM »
I wouldn't miss this rally for nuttin!! It's going to be huge, and would be a great time for wayward members to repatriate  ;D
Brian in Minnesota
Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme. Richard Thompson

Need Heat Shields for the C-10? 86-93 Front Brake upgrade brackets?  I got em! Click the little green globe under my Avatar on the left.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 07:24:51 PM »
Why?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 07:33:47 PM »
Are you seriously asking or just makin' a funny? If you are seriously asking, I will seriously tell you why I think people would want to attend, or at least why I want to attend.

Brian

Why?

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 12:40:54 AM »
Spoiled dang brat!  I blame her mother.

You're probably right, but shhhhh! not so loud.  :-X

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 01:23:49 AM »
They sure picked a nice part of the country. 
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline COGnosticat0r

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 05:05:59 AM »
I will be there. Should be a great time.

Jerry Holland
COG 4478
2013 C14
"Man, you were haulin' ass the other day when I passed you"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 06:34:14 AM »
Are you seriously asking or just makin' a funny? If you are seriously asking, I will seriously tell you why I think people would want to attend, or at least why I want to attend.

Brian

Not a funny.  One, what's a 'wayward' member?   Two, repatriation.  What does that mean?  I'm sure the riding will be good.  That section of the country has some very good roads.  Western Carolina, eastern Tenn., and southwest VA.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2014, 07:31:41 AM »
I hear that there might be a tag team cage match that'll be worth watching.  8)

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2014, 08:01:42 AM »
I'd be there if not for the wedding.  Whether I attended the COG National Rally or not would in no way impact my decision on renewing my membership in COG.
Now for the cage match- if the wedding venue was closer I'd sneak over to see the spectacle.  But I envision 2 out of shape oldsters harmlessly slapping at each other until they become too winded to continue.  Better entertainment in the pre-fight hype, most likely.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2014, 08:04:40 AM »
OK, first I was not addressing wayward members or repatriation, just going to the national which I believe anyone can attend. No need to be a member as far as I know. But either way, the reason for going is simple, overall, that group (like this one on this forum) simply has some of the best people I have ever had the privilege to meet and be associated with in my life. Outstanding folks. Not every last one perhaps but it is easy enough to avoid the evil ones (I'll put up a selfie if that would help identify 'Evil #1 ).  ;D  But really, the group is a cross- section right through the country that is mostly 'us': middle class, older middle age people who have perfectly normal, everyday lives and happen to own the same bike (or used to anyway). Just nice people.

Over the Christmas week, I spent two days with two couples that I met through COG- the nicest people on the planet, all of them. Yesterday I spend the day with another couple planning out events through 2014 in our local areas (our areas adjoin so we are trying to divide up events so they do not overlap) and that too was a great day- again, nicest people on the planet.

So that is the reason to attend the rally. Hang around after hours, usually in the parking lot, with a group of people you would walk across a hot bed of coals to hang out with. Sit down at the banquet with a couple of friends and usually make a couple more (usually something like 10, 12 to a table). Who knows, you could even hear a telling of The Cat Joke (TM).

As far as the recent squabble on the other forum, that is specific to a few of us, is limited to the forum itself and never spills over to COG in the flesh, and I think things will improve there too. But at any rate, not a single one of the people I mentioned spending time with is involved with that and actually, most COG folk do not post on the forum at all. So the forum, and especially any contentiousness content is simply not representative of COG 'in the flesh'. For all the recent 'hubbub', and I am right smack in the middle of it, I am quite active in COG and planning on traveling 750 miles to attend the national; why would I do that if it was even 1% like the that squabble?

By the way, no need to attend the whole event or even attend the banquet- I believe anyone can stop by, spend an evening hanging out and meeting some people for absolutely no cost. COG is non- profit and not about money; these events are mostly break- even and so no one is interested in 'gouging' anyone. So as I said, stop by for a day or two and meet some people without even paying anything at all.

That's why to attend the rally. Or even stop by and say hello if it is not too far from you.

Brian

Not a funny.  One, what's a 'wayward' member?   Two, repatriation.  What does that mean?  I'm sure the riding will be good.  That section of the country has some very good roads.  Western Carolina, eastern Tenn., and southwest VA.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2014, 08:17:27 AM »
Sadly, that is true. I do not know the other gentleman but I will be lucky if I can manage three reasonably rapid strokes of the rapier before getting winded. Dueling would be better but that could take several reloads before someone winged a nearby barn too and the whole thing was stopped due to noise ordinances.  ;D

There of course isn't going to be any contention at the national. COG is not that kind of place and not only would not be the source of anything so improper but COG members would quickly squash any incorrect behavior. Any mention of anything like this is purely a joke- COG is well above such antics. One will not even hear a raised voice or any 'bad words' at a COG function; some people bring their teenage daughters and I am proud to say that a COG function is perfectly reasonable environment in which to do so.

The better event is going to be the 'Shaving of the Reverend'. Frankly, I am a little concerned about that and hope a couple of drinks calm me down enough so my hands don't shake and nick the man.... any worse than I expect too do in the first place.  :yikes:

Brian

I'd be there if not for the wedding.  Whether I attended the COG National Rally or not would in no way impact my decision on renewing my membership in COG.
Now for the cage match- if the wedding venue was closer I'd sneak over to see the spectacle.  But I envision 2 out of shape oldsters harmlessly slapping at each other until they become too winded to continue.  Better entertainment in the pre-fight hype, most likely.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2014, 08:42:38 AM »
I've been to two rallies, one in SD and the one at Cherokee.  Both times were good.  The SD rally was a bit far for us on a C10, though.  I'm still vibrating from that one.  I'm just not in for crowds or very large group riding anymore.  The older I get the more I prefer solitary (me or my wife) rides.  Two or three people is about max and yeah I know you can ride your own rides and such..  I actually map out a COG ride up here in Jan., but that's it as far as organized functions go with me.  I wish all the best of fun and safety for all.  I do intend to ride past that area this summer but I'm going on a visit to Livingston, TN.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2014, 08:55:51 AM »
..... So that is the reason to attend the rally. Hang around after hours, usually in the parking lot, with a group of people.....

That was my fav part of the one Rally I attended and is the one part that I would return for "IF" one is ever within my grasp again....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010