Author Topic: A new situation with the tire pressure sensor low battery warning  (Read 4995 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Went for a ride today after not using the bike for maybe 4 weeks or so and it was pretty cold out at 23 F. Both TPS sensors were reporting the low battery warning, no surprise there, and after I cleared the warnings, both displayed what seemed like the right pressure. We got off the bike for a few minutes but left it running, and the bike was standing still long enough for the tire pressure sensors to shut off, at least the front one. When we started moving again, the bike displayed the low battery warning for the front sensor again without the ignition or engine ever having been shut off. This is the first time I have ever seen that although it is probably normal operation because I don't normally leave the bike idling for that long (maybe 10 minutes?).

And even at 23 degrees, the temp. gauge reached three bars and the fans came on at least two times while it was idling. When we left, I got a baby blast of warm air in the first couple of feet that I have to say was pretty pleasant.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: A new situation with the tire pressure sensor low battery warning
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 04:28:40 PM »
Thank you, thank you, thank you.....and now for something a little different....a new post!  Thanks Brian  :finger_fing11:

Nothing new, unfortunately.  I've seen that happen with my bike with the front sensor.  The one I haven't changed the battery on.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 05:27:13 PM »
I guess the key to making it happen is how long the bike is stopped but still running. I do not normally leave the bike idling nearly as long as I did today and so the battery warning was a surprise because I had always assumed (I know- bad word and shame on me) that the ignition had to be turned on to accept the sensor warning again. Put another way, I figured one turn of the key could only have one low sensor battery warning but that is not the case.

Depending on what happens this spring on Tech Day (my most favorite motorcycle event of the year I think and all I get to do is work on other people's bikes..... and maybe, just maybe, tease (read: scare the pants off of them) them a little here and there  :rotflmao:) I might have a bunch of batteries made up for the sensors and put up a tutorial on how to install said batteries with no wires, no fuss and no muss and only about 7 seconds of soldering. What I would really like to do is replace the damn things entirely but not sure that is practical.

Off to teach some grapes a lesson, tend the woodstove (temps. going pretty low tonight) and let the prime rib take a set (read: finish hardening in my coronary arteries).

Brian

Thank you, thank you, thank you.....and now for something a little different....a new post!  Thanks Brian  :finger_fing11:

Nothing new, unfortunately.  I've seen that happen with my bike with the front sensor.  The one I haven't changed the battery on.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 09:47:15 PM »
What I would really like to do is replace the damn things entirely but not sure that is practical.

I would love to see an "external" battery module that had maybe four times the battery capacity so the life could be tremendously longer.  Something they should have done from the start.

An even more novel idea would be one with Lithium Ion battery and contacts through the valve stem so it could be easily and quickly charged every several months.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jtk1531

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 11:06:03 PM »
induction / wireless charging maybe? induction coils mounted on or near the fender to send magnetic field to another set of induction coils on the inside rim.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 06:55:03 AM »
induction / wireless charging maybe? induction coils mounted on or near the fender to send magnetic field to another set of induction coils on the inside rim.

I thought of that too, but there are a lot of issues with it.

1) Inductive charging requires very close proximity

2) I am pretty sure inductive charging will not work through a metal wheel

3) The coil would work great through the tire, but there is no way to mount a coil there (since the tire has to be removed.

If there were any way to just bring a contact set out, charging would be easy/simple/convenient.   There is already one "something" that goes through the wheel, that is is the valve stem.  It seems quite doable to design in two electrical contacts somehow and not interfere with its primary purpose.  Not sure if this has ever been done before;  I even searched and found nothing.  Maybe I should patent it :)   Such a system could work even with the existing TPS, just swap out the battery for a chargeable one and hook it up to the new stem.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 04:47:10 PM »
Well once the battery is brought outside the wheel, a larger battery really isn't needed, nor is a rechargeable battery.

There is a system out there that uses a pressure sensing and transmitting valve stem cap, with a replaceable battery too as I remember. It would be almost effortless to change both batteries on the wheel sensors every year with a system like that.

Brian

I would love to see an "external" battery module that had maybe four times the battery capacity so the life could be tremendously longer.  Something they should have done from the start.

An even more novel idea would be one with Lithium Ion battery and contacts through the valve stem so it could be easily and quickly charged every several months.

Offline phoneman

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 06:02:11 PM »
  Are you referring to something like Garmin has as an option with some of their gps units ?

I haven't seen one but it looks like the valve stem cap is the transmitter or part of it.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 06:04:25 PM »
Yes; I had forgotten what brand it was but yeah, that is exactly what I was thinking of.

Brian

Are you referring to something like Garmin has as an option with some of their gps units ?

I haven't seen one but it looks like the valve stem cap is the transmitter or part of it.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2013, 06:12:58 PM »
Well once the battery is brought outside the wheel, a larger battery really isn't needed, nor is a rechargeable battery.

That is true, but I wasn't talking about taking the battery outside the wheel, just making contacts so you can get power to the existing unit.

There is a system out there that uses a pressure sensing and transmitting valve stem cap, with a replaceable battery too as I remember. It would be almost effortless to change both batteries on the wheel sensors every year with a system like that.

Interesting, but I am talking about possible things that could be done to the existing [compatible] sensors to make them better, not replacing them with something totally different and incompatible.  The thought process is that by retrofitting the existing ones, it will work with the existing setup and also require no programming.  Now, if there were a way to replace them with something like you just described and have it work with Kawasaki's computer/dash, and wasn't crazy expensive, I bet a lot of people would jump on it (I certainly would).

Offline jtk1531

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2013, 08:53:12 PM »
based on the OEM stem, or even the 90 degree stem that's sold on murph's site, i'm guessing if you can get your hands on a wire EDM machine, you'll be able to cut 2 holes / slots at 180degrees on the stem threads. pass 2 insulated wires through and seal them up again with some resin?

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2013, 09:31:28 PM »
Gotcha'.

I do not think it would work on the original battery though as they are a primary battery and not rechargeable. Of course if a rechargeable battery was installed first, then the contacts and charging mechanism would work fine I would think.

I was not suggesting replacing the sensors to work with the C-14 TPS system, I was really suggesting replacing the sensors and using something else to monitor tire pressure; the Garmin is one option and there are complete packages where two sensors and the readout altogether cost less than one OEM sensor.

Brian

That is true, but I wasn't talking about taking the battery outside the wheel, just making contacts so you can get power to the existing unit.

Interesting, but I am talking about possible things that could be done to the existing [compatible] sensors to make them better, not replacing them with something totally different and incompatible.  The thought process is that by retrofitting the existing ones, it will work with the existing setup and also require no programming.  Now, if there were a way to replace them with something like you just described and have it work with Kawasaki's computer/dash, and wasn't crazy expensive, I bet a lot of people would jump on it (I certainly would).

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2013, 09:45:48 PM »
I do not think it would work on the original battery though as they are a primary battery and not rechargeable. Of course if a rechargeable battery was installed first, then the contacts and charging mechanism would work fine I would think.

Yep, that is exactly what I mean.

based on the OEM stem, or even the 90 degree stem that's sold on murph's site, i'm guessing if you can get your hands on a wire EDM machine, you'll be able to cut 2 holes / slots at 180degrees on the stem threads. pass 2 insulated wires through and seal them up again with some resin?

Now that is my kind of thinking.  I am not sure, but it might be possible to do it with a single wire/contact and let the wheel, itself act as the other conductor (assuming there is an unpainted contact point somewhere that could be used).

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2013, 10:25:02 PM »
During the "winter months" come down to FL or AZ.  Then stop by a battery store and get a fresh FOB battery.

Your cold temp and Kawasaki (flakiness and poor design) probs will both be over
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline phoneman

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2013, 05:44:34 AM »
  Wouldn't it be nice if someone was able to program the Garmin type valve stem caps to work with the system already in place on the Connie ?

I don't know if the Garmin system is reliable so you might be trading one pickle for another but if it is a good system you could use it on more than 1 bike .  And it could be a viable option for those who just want to get rid of the Kawasaki system and it's quirks.

Hmmm-- I do need to get a gps for the bike(s).   ;)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2013, 06:34:55 AM »
  Wouldn't it be nice if someone was able to program the Garmin type valve stem caps to work with the system already in place on the Connie ?

That is extremely unlikely

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2013, 07:16:28 AM »
I agree and as you pointed out earlier, this too is a new system and is unproven; it would be awful to replace a problematic piece of hardware with another problematic piece of hardware that is re-worked to fit the application.

Brian

That is extremely unlikely

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2013, 08:09:41 AM »
I agree and as you pointed out earlier, this too is a new system and is unproven; it would be awful to replace a problematic piece of hardware with another problematic piece of hardware that is re-worked to fit the application.

Brian
It could join the rear brake fix fix.