Author Topic: Rear Wheel Install  (Read 3524 times)

valkmc

Rear Wheel Install
« on: June 10, 2011, 02:01:43 PM »
Ok got some new PR2's mounted and I am installing the rear wheel. There are spacers for each side and the manual does not show if the wider flange side goes against  the rear bearings wheel or away from it. On my last bike the spacer fit into the wheel so you could not mess it up. Any help wpould be appreciated....thanks

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

Re: Rear Wheel Install
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 02:09:51 PM »
I believe the parts manual shows the detail.

See attached pdf

2008 C14 GTR1400 AKA "Connie"

valkmc

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 02:16:26 PM »
Thanks, as soon as I went back to the garage after typing my request. I realized what I was doing. The rear tire is now on and I am starting on the front. Thanks.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 05:10:46 PM »
The front spacers are the same on both sides, on the front. I clean them good, and put a light coat of grase on them before I install them. I also wipe off the inside of the Wheel seal, to avoid getting dirt in the bearings.
I also clean the axle real good and apply a light coating of grease. The torque spec on the axle nut is 94 Foot pounds. The calipers are 25, and the axle pinch bolts are 15. Go back and forth on the pinch bolts a couple of times, as the bolt torque will change from side to side.

Sorry guys, I got on a roll. ;)

The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 12:03:57 PM »
The front spacers are the same on both sides, on the front. I clean them good, and put a light coat of grase on them before I install them. I also wipe off the inside of the Wheel seal, to avoid getting dirt in the bearings.
I also clean the axle real good and apply a light coating of grease. The torque spec on the axle nut is 94 Foot pounds. The calipers are 25, and the axle pinch bolts are 15. Go back and forth on the pinch bolts a couple of times, as the bolt torque will change from side to side.

Sorry guys, I got on a roll. ;)

Where do you get grase? ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

valkmc

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 01:17:53 PM »
Thanks for the help. 1st time I took the wheels of this bike. Took the 021's off at 3800 and as everyone says wow. I installed PR2s. Hope I get some miles out of them. Leave for Alaska in 9 days.

The wheels came off and on easy enough, I did take the front fender off but I am going to try it without taking it off next time.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 02:42:51 PM »
I don't think the wheel will come off with the fender on...  Nothing wrong with trying though. 8)

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 02:51:20 PM »
I don't think the wheel will come off with the fender on...  Nothing wrong with trying though. 8)

I bet that would be fun!

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 05:03:53 PM »

Just put the bike's center stand on a 2X10.  Plenty of room to remove the front tire then without removing the fender.  That is what I do.  So far so good.
T.S.R.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 05:25:24 PM »

Wheel comes off no problem for me, I just put my ARV stand under the header and it raises the front end up "PLENTY".
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2011, 07:02:23 PM »
Where do you get grase? ;)
Don't make me ride over there. ;D

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 05:48:23 AM »
Well, he's due for a good thumping....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gonzosc1

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2011, 07:16:56 AM »
if rear wheel is off you can get front off without taking the fender off just by jacking the bike up til the front wheel clears the fender