Author Topic: 7 December, 1941.  (Read 2866 times)

Son of Pappy

7 December, 1941.
« on: December 07, 2013, 08:16:39 AM »
Please take a moment for reflection.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: 7 December, 1941.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 08:17:49 AM »
+1
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline DeansZG

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 08:43:59 AM »
Please take a moment for reflection

Thanks for the reminder!
'99 C10 "MissTriss" *sold*
'04 ZZR1200 "Sweet heart" *sold*
'81 GL1100 Interstate "Puttz"*sold*
'00 K12LT..."Battleship Galactica".....

Son of Pappy

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 08:55:28 AM »
It is the day my father learned how to ride a bike.  His father was doing the seat holding trick when his mother called out that the radio announced Pearl Harbor was being attacked.  His dad let go to rush in to gather his sea bag, knowing full well he was about to be called in for war.
This is a moment in history much like 11 September, 2001.  A moment that is proof we as a nation will overcome the greatest of odds. 

Forever vigilant, never let your guard down, or we will suffer great losses.  History is a teacher, and some lessons must not be repeated.

Online Strawboss

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 09:25:06 AM »
Working today, saw the flag in front of the firehouse driving in, remembered.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 11:49:41 AM »
My father (U.S. Army Master Sergeant) was stationed at Schofield Barracks, Pearl Harbor when the attack came.  He was an artilleryman with the 555th Field Artillery Battalion, Battery "B".  He island-hopped all the way to Japan.  I know that he was at Guadalcanal and part of the occupation forces in Japan afterwards.  Then he went to Korea.  He retired after more than 20 years.  I only remember him slightly, he went into the hospital with lung cancer (thank you Lucky Strike and Camel) when I was seven.  He died when I was nine.  I only know him through some pictures and his medals I have, Purple Heart and Good Conduct medal and some other things.

Thanks, Dad.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 01:56:20 PM »
I think I'll watch Tora Tora Tora tonight. One of the all time greatest war movies IMO.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 08:28:06 PM »
It could be said that the USS Arizona represents 7 Dec 1941 to Americans, and I think it is fair to say that it also represents the beginning of WWII in our mental image of history.

The battleship USS Missouri was the last US battleship built; she was launched in 1944, fought in the Pacific Theater of WWII, then Korea and finally in Desert Storm. She was in active service until 1992.

The surrender document that ended WWII was signed on the battleship USS Missouri in Tokyo Bay, on 2 Sept. 1945 and so would mark the end of the war for most of us I think. A while back I was wondering where the Missouri ended up- a lot of states end up with their namesake capital ship as a museum ship but as Missouri is a land- locked state, I took a quick look and found that it had been decommissioned and moved to Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. The USS Missouri is now moored on the far side of the harbor from the USS Airizona (memorial), bow on, 'standing watch' over the Arizona. I could not think of a better place for the Missouri to reside.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:USS_Missouri_looking_forward.jpg

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 09:10:28 PM »
It could be said that the USS Arizona represents 7 Dec 1941 to Americans, and I think it is fair to say that it also represents the beginning of WWII in our mental image of history.

The battleship USS Missouri was the last US battleship built; she was launched in 1944, fought in the Pacific Theater of WWII, then Korea and finally in Desert Storm. She was in active service until 1992.

The surrender document that ended WWII was signed on the battleship USS Missouri in Tokyo Bay, on 2 Sept. 1945 and so would mark the end of the war for most of us I think. A while back I was wondering where the Missouri ended up- a lot of states end up with their namesake capital ship as a museum ship but as Missouri is a land- locked state, I took a quick look and found that it had been decommissioned and moved to Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. The USS Missouri is now moored on the far side of the harbor from the USS Airizona (memorial), bow on, 'standing watch' over the Arizona. I could not think of a better place for the Missouri to reside.

Brian

My dad (RIP) did the Navy thing in WWII, serving on a Seaplane Tender.  He didn't talk about the war much...

Thanks for the reminder.  72nd anniversary or something like that?  Remember to thank your Vets for their years of service to our country!
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013, 09:31:06 AM »

Brian

I went to University of Arizona and remember seeing and hearing the bell. At the time I don't think I really appreciated the significance of that bell.