Yes more than one set.
13 (6%)
No they are perfect.
68 (31.6%)
I have ABS.
64 (29.8%)
I have a NON ABS bike.
27 (12.6%)
I have warped aftermarket rotors as well.
4 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 123

Author Topic: Concours 14 Brake Rotors  (Read 33883 times)

Offline KawiMick

Re: Concours 14 Brake Rotors
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2011, 08:56:37 PM »
I'll be glad to, next time I'm out there.  Just made a quick trip last Fri-Sun. :(
It almost has to be a bent carrier.  I hope they do the right thing.

Mick
'84 R100RS Pearl White Last Edition
'93 K1100LT Astral Blue Metallic
'96 R1100RT Sine Blue  Tucson,AZ/Santa Paula,CA
'10 C14 Candy Neptune Blue         Born OK the First Time

Offline sycamoredave

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2011, 04:28:28 AM »
Just spent $500+ to replace both front rotors and pads on both front and back.  My '08 has 13K on it.  The warp became more pronounced after last summer's trip to CO.  We went after market with EBC.  I have owned several bikes, but not faced brake issues like this before.  Nice bike, expensive to own.   :-\

Ride safe...
Dave

'08 C14
'09 KLR

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2011, 01:40:57 PM »
Just spent $500+ to replace both front rotors and pads on both front and back.  My '08 has 13K on it.  The warp became more pronounced after last summer's trip to CO.  We went after market with EBC.  I have owned several bikes, but not faced brake issues like this before.  Nice bike, expensive to own.   :-\

Ride safe...
Dave

'08 C14
'09 KLR

Is yours out of warranty?  If you have a warranty in effect, you should use it.  It becomes more expensive when you don't.

If / when I go back for another rotor, I'll press them to put the 2011 rotors on mine.  When mine is 2 years and 11 months old, I'll spring for the 3 year extended.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline sycamoredave

« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2011, 04:19:36 AM »
Is yours out of warranty?  If you have a warranty in effect, you should use it.  It becomes more expensive when you don't.

If / when I go back for another rotor, I'll press them to put the 2011 rotors on mine.  When mine is 2 years and 11 months old, I'll spring for the 3 year extended.

My bike is still in warranty.  I took the bike to the dealer with two problems, the brakes, and the TPM system failure.  The solution for the TPM was to turn it off.  They wanted to blame the thimble full of dynabeads for the failure, even though it is clearly a battery issue.  Right.  In terms of the warped rotors, they said "that's just how they are", and said they still seem to stop ok.  Right.   My C14 won't likely be back to the dealer unless there is something my independent bike tech cannot handle.   Other than excessive noise from the EBC pads, I'm pretty happy with the new brakes, and don't miss the flashing TPM system failure messages on my info screen. :P

Ride safe ...  8)
Dave

Offline KawiMick

« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2011, 06:20:40 AM »
Dave,
  I had about the same reaction from my dealer.  Granted, I didn't take it there and leave it for them to play
with but I had measured the runout and the thickness with good tools and I'm confident of my results.  He told me
there is "no info from Kawasaki whatsoever regarding front rotors".  I'm not sure I will recommend this dealer to any
more friends. 

Mick
Tucson

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2011, 02:35:37 PM »
Dave, it's definitely time for you to find a new dealer!

When I took mine in for a warped rotor, the first comment from the service manager was that it was probably not covered by warranty, that it was likely caused by abusing the brakes, to which I emphatically said B.S.  They called Kawi, and it was covered, no questions asked.

As for the TPMS, I would also contact another dealer.  I agree it's unlikely the Dyna Beads would make it stop working, but all the same, I would find some way to remove them before taking it in.  The TPM Sensors are covered by the warranty if they fail due to a dead battery.  If the dealer will not help you, call Kawasaki directly, or go to another dealer.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline sycamoredave

« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2011, 08:54:06 PM »
Dave, it's definitely time for you to find a new dealer!

When I took mine in for a warped rotor, the first comment from the service manager was that it was probably not covered by warranty, that it was likely caused by abusing the brakes, to which I emphatically said B.S.  They called Kawi, and it was covered, no questions asked.

As for the TPMS, I would also contact another dealer.  I agree it's unlikely the Dyna Beads would make it stop working, but all the same, I would find some way to remove them before taking it in.  The TPM Sensors are covered by the warranty if they fail due to a dead battery.  If the dealer will not help you, call Kawasaki directly, or go to another dealer.

I live in an area with one (1) dealer.  Alternatives are an hour away.  Over the years, partially because of the mixed results from the dealer, I have developed a very good relationship with a private bike tech, who actually does a fair amount of contract work for dealers.  The guy is honest, fairly careful, and does what you ask.  I would not ask him to diagnose the electrical systems, but most everything else he is spot on.  At some point it is less about the money and more about getting it done right the first time.  If you are in central Ohio and need a good bike tech, I'll be glad to provide the contact info.

Meanwhile, I continue to have a slow burn about having to spend that amount of time and money on a bike with 13K.   :P

Ride safe... 8)
Dave

Offline frank 0

« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2011, 06:36:45 AM »
Decided to go with EBC and have done with the Kawi chocolate rotors...  New pads and new front rotors, shuddering from Day 1.  Was told it took a bit for them to break in.  They never broke in.

2008 model 25000 km, I had the same problem, third set of rotors at 19000 km was EBC + HH pads, after breaking them in as per EBC instructions, the bike was shuddering strongly between 100 and 80 km/h. Now after a 4000 km tour through the alps with max admissible load on the bike and some heavy braking before het hairpins, the brakes operate as smoothly as when the bike was new.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2011, 07:05:57 AM »
It takes them a long bit to brake in...  Mine are just starting to act right after several thousand miles....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2011, 01:36:11 PM »
So, after opening one of the EBC rotor boxes I took em home, when I was in the process of pulling the wheel I noticed a looseness, at first I thought it was the head bearings, nope.  After I removed the wheel I put the axle back in the hub and bingo, bad bearings, I called up cycle gear and ordered a set of bearings and seals.  Since I was going to remove the rotors for bearing removal I did so and put them to the side, not even considering to mark which was left or right.  Bearings came in, installed and it's time to install the rotors and darn------I have a chrome and a gold colored hub, *&@*&%$@$#, I call Cycle Gear, they make a call, and wouldnt ya know it?  The rotors are out of stock till late August)*&%@(*&&*#$%(&^#$#$@^%$#.  I spoke with the manager, he will give me a new set of pads once the new rotors come in, cool.  I get it all back together and first real ride yesterday.  Brakes work great, better then great even.  What I thought was brake noise turned out to be the bearings, I was getting a hollow noise with light brake pressure, almost like something was ginding, similar to the sound made when the pads are gone.  I have no pulsing what so ever.  On the way in this morning I stopped at the MSF range we have on post and did some hard core quick stops, hard enough to loft the rear wheel, so I feel it's safe to say I'm OK till the end of August.
So, why the long story?  If your getting unusual noise from the front check out the wheel bearings, the transition from old to new is similar to new tires, just amazing.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2011, 03:52:52 PM »
which box should I tick if I have the original rotors and they are slowly starting to warp?  :o

Or you have a new bike with only 1200 miles and no warp?  Won't that skew the results?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2011, 03:55:34 PM »
Dave,
  I had about the same reaction from my dealer.  Granted, I didn't take it there and leave it for them to play
with but I had measured the runout and the thickness with good tools and I'm confident of my results.  He told me
there is "no info from Kawasaki whatsoever regarding front rotors".  I'm not sure I will recommend this dealer to any
more friends. 

I think such dealers should be reported to Kawasaki as incompetent.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline speed545

« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2011, 04:25:51 PM »
bought mine use with 6K on it. Now have 14K. I know all the recall were done but i dont know about rotors.

How do i recognize stock rotor over some aftermarket or replacement????

I would feel some light pulsing under heavy braking but honestly, doesnt seem that bad.

Is that shudering happen at any speed???
08, Concours 14
Montreal Fire Dept

Offline Steve Bell

« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2011, 04:26:11 PM »
Or you have a new bike with only 1200 miles and no warp?  Won't that skew the results?

Yes it would skew the results a little but as you can see from the results so far the 08' 09' Concours has a definite problem. I see you have a 2011 and I'm not sure we have heard of a new 2011 with warped rotors at all? Maybe someone can clarify that?

Offline nutz221

« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2011, 04:47:31 PM »
FYI,.. after reading many posts regarding this rotor issue I ran my 09 to my local dealer who informed me that Kawi "IS AWARE" of this issue and WILL replace the rotors on a case by case basis. Mine were bad enough to be replaced under warranty or a soft recall. The dealer did recommend I go with EBC pads to prevent this issue from returning so they will be installed at the same time.

Offline KawiMick

« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2011, 05:04:49 PM »
FYI,.. after reading many posts regarding this rotor issue I ran my 09 to my local dealer who informed me that Kawi "IS AWARE" of this issue and WILL replace the rotors on a case by case basis. Mine were bad enough to be replaced under warranty or a soft recall. The dealer did recommend I go with EBC pads to prevent this issue from returning so they will be installed at the same time.

I sure wish they would tell ALL the dealers the same story.  My dealer has NOT heard of ANY front rotor problems.

Mick

Offline Steve Bell

« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2011, 07:26:49 PM »
Ya the dealer I bought from pulled the "Kawasaki has had no rotor issues at all" ::)

Offline Tim

« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2011, 12:49:32 AM »
I found another C-14 forum. It appears the entire English speaking world is warping rotors. Don't know about the others. 
I don't always ride a street bike. But when I do, it's a Concours. Ride safely my friend.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2011, 04:14:24 AM »
They're warping on the ZX-14 as well.  It's not just us.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2011, 12:53:27 PM »
41,000 miles on my C14 and no warpage to report.

Never had an issue on my ZX14 either and wow it got tortured hot braking/trail braking into the turns.

But I'm hearing issues with each bike too, guess my day is coming, about the time my radiator gets a hole, my lugggage falls off, and drive shaft explodes i expect the rotors to go too. I can feel it all coming.......

« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 01:38:11 PM by stevewfl »
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine