Author Topic: Rear puncture preventing spoilers  (Read 5942 times)

Offline gtr a14

Rear puncture preventing spoilers
« on: November 27, 2013, 05:41:39 AM »
Hey, a mate of mine swears by a spoiler kit that fits to the bellypan that "disrupts the airflow" thus reducing the chance of a rear puncture. Think he called it a Tyre defender, anyone hear of or used this type of thing?
(He is trying to find packaging for me to get a link)

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
Re: Rear puncture preventing spoilers
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 05:54:28 AM »
I've heard of them.  Sounds like a chrome HD part.  Probably next to the gremlin bells, deer whistles, and traffic light magnets.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

jirod

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 06:34:56 AM »
Haven't heard of it. I made my own with rubber mud flap material and mounted it to the center stand with hose clamps. So far so good. The friend who told me has been running flat-free for thousands of miles.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 06:45:56 AM »
"Supposedly" the reason we have more rear flats is the front tire stands the nail up as it passes over on,e and the rear tire hits that nail.
I guess it's possible that an air deflector could help prevent that, but sounds doubtful...

Ride safe, Ted

Offline redzgrider

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 04:01:04 PM »
I don't know about 'supposeds', but I had no less than 6 penetrations in 80K and 10 years with my 000 -- and that's just the rear tires. Had a couple more in the front as well. If there's a product that deflects nails I would really like to hear more about it!

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 06:52:33 PM »
No punctures in the Connie tires yet, 60,000 miles.  But in 33,000 on the Wee Strom, I've pulled three nails and a big chunk of glass out of several rear tires.   None went flat, although I did do one internal plug-patch just to be safe.  I think I agree with the theory of the front tire kicking thing up so they stick in the rear.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline gtr a14

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 03:08:21 AM »
found item on ebay, link wont upload here but i typed in " motorcycle shield spoiler" and the item came up,
Seller is called - sunshinewithu and item costs £3.99 i guess at this price its worth a shot ! :)

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 09:27:41 AM »
I attempted to find them on Ebay here. No luck so far.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Leo

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 06:15:54 PM »
Sounds like an attachment they had on bicycles in england in the 1950's.  It was a thorn puller.  The idea was that a tire can pick up a thorn and if you brush it off before it make the rotation that sets it all the way in, your good to go.   I do not know if it works, but it sounded like it had possiblities.
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline IraB

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 06:21:36 PM »

Ran a bicycle shop in the early 80's and there was a device available that mounted to the centerpull brake bolt and barely scraped along the tire.  Theory was, as has been mentioned, that it would knock many pokey items off the tire right after it was picked up and before the next several rotations could drive it deeply into the rubber.
Some folks swore by them.  I tried them and did not any difference in frequency of flats.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2013, 01:09:45 AM »
apparently that person no longer sells those.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/sunshinewithu/m.html?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline gtr a14

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2013, 04:21:49 AM »
apparently that person no longer sells those.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/sunshinewithu/m.html?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1
Im currently watching this item but on ebay uk, it says there are more than 10 available.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2013, 06:12:04 AM »
MOTORCYCLE SHIELD, DEFLECTOR, SPOILER, PROTECTOR, HELPS PREVENT REAR PUNCTURES

Well, there it is.  And a video about it:  (Well, not really about it, just an installation video.)

Tyre Angel for Motorcycles
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2013, 06:06:33 AM »
Please read my first comment or ...

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=2364.0
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline billhook

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2013, 08:32:52 AM »
Ran a bicycle shop in the early 80's and there was a device available that mounted to the centerpull brake bolt and barely scraped along the tire.  Theory was, as has been mentioned, that it would knock many pokey items off the tire right after it was picked up and before the next several rotations could drive it deeply into the rubber.
Some folks swore by them.  I tried them and did not any difference in frequency of flats.

I worked in a bike shop in the early 80s and we sold a bunch of these.  I think they were called Tire Savers.  I still have them on my early 80s Schwinn Super LeTour which I ride regularly.  I have never had a flat due to something penetrating the tire/tube.

Offline IraB

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2013, 09:13:39 PM »
I worked in a bike shop in the early 80s and we sold a bunch of these.  I think they were called Tire Savers.  I still have them on my early 80s Schwinn Super LeTour which I ride regularly.  I have never had a flat due to something penetrating the tire/tube.

In theory they should at least stop some flats.
For reasons I do not know I get very few bicycle flats so my brief test use of flat savers was far from conclusive.
Never had a flat on a motorcycle.