Author Topic: Top ten banned toys.  (Read 6852 times)

Offline Conrad

Top ten banned toys.
« on: November 08, 2013, 12:10:47 PM »
This is interesting...

http://www.burlingamepezmuseum.com/bannedtoy/index.html

Number one banned toy of all time.

1.   Atomic Energy Laboratory

In 1951, A.C. Gilbert, inventor of the ERECTOR set, released the U-238 Atomic Energy Lab. Using real radioactive materials, one could witness mist trails created by particles of ionizing radiation.

The set included four Uranium-bearing ore samples, and originally sold for $49.50. (I wonder how much one of these would be worth now?   ;) )

Wow!

I wonder why they would ban such a cool toy?    :o

I had a chemistry set and an erector set when I was a kid. I guess I missed out on this one by a few years.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

Re: Top ten banned toys.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 12:13:21 PM »
2. Lawn Darts

Heavily weighted and solid metal, Lawn Darts can pierce whatever they strike! Lawn darts have been responsible for over 7,000 injuries. On December 19, 1988, the Consumer Product Safety Commission banned lawn darts from sale in the United States.

Kids can't have any fun anymore. 

I still have a set of Jarts out in the garage.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 12:48:31 PM »
I would vote for the neutron emitter that David Hahn built. On the one hand it could be labeled a failure because he was actually trying to build a breeder reactor for the neighborhood (!) but on the other hand, using nothing but hand tools and clever materials procurement he did manage to create a neutron gun of sufficient radiation that his mother's house, where he did all of his atomic work, was declared an EPA Superfund site. Oh yeah, and he got a merit badge from the Boy Scouts in Atomic Energy too. Not too bad.

http://harpers.org/archive/1998/11/the-radioactive-boy-scout/1/

Now that there is a toy!

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 01:02:10 PM »
Lawn darts were great
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 01:08:21 PM »
We used to throw regular darts at each other when I was growing up.  That lasted until I got one stuck in my thumb.  Didn't have the armored gloves then.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 01:15:39 PM »
BB Gun fights... that was the schizz!!!!  Find an old abandoned house, a couple of us inside to repel... a couple to storm...  ;D  Then the old Roman Candle and garbage can lid fights at night.  8)

Ahhhh... youth.  :thumbs:
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 01:37:26 PM »
BB Gun fights... that was the schizz!!!!  Find an old abandoned house, a couple of us inside to repel... a couple to storm...  ;D 

Did this, oh those were the days.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 01:40:22 PM »
Holy crap I had the Battlestar Gallactic missle launcher.
Todally forgot about it until I saw this.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 01:41:03 PM »
We used to throw regular darts at each other when I was growing up.  That lasted until I got one stuck in my thumb.  Didn't have the armored gloves then.

Only babies used regular darts...

Offline Conrad

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 01:43:41 PM »
I would vote for the neutron emitter that David Hahn built. On the one hand it could be labeled a failure because he was actually trying to build a breeder reactor for the neighborhood (!) but on the other hand, using nothing but hand tools and clever materials procurement he did manage to create a neutron gun of sufficient radiation that his mother's house, where he did all of his atomic work, was declared an EPA Superfund site. Oh yeah, and he got a merit badge from the Boy Scouts in Atomic Energy too. Not too bad.

http://harpers.org/archive/1998/11/the-radioactive-boy-scout/1/

Now that there is a toy!

Brian

Long read but VERY interesting! That made my dabbling in explosives back in the day look like child's play.    ;)

Thanks for the post Brian.    :thumbs:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 01:44:25 PM »
Holy crap I had the Battlestar Gallactic missle launcher.
Todally forgot about it until I saw this.

You're lucky that you lived to tell the tale Brent!    ;)

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 01:47:10 PM »
We used to go down to the frozen river in winter with a hatchet, walk out on the ice that wasn't quite frozen over to the other side, and chop off a huge chunk with us on it, instant iceberg, Ohio style! The river wasn't deep and it wasn't fast moving, we'd drift maybe a quarter mile. Stupid. But fun.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline rhhall

• Arena
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 02:07:10 PM »
Always fun until someone loses an eye. :battle: :cannon:
rick
08 Connie ABS(totaled)
14 Connie

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2013, 02:56:09 PM »
Sure, you did not like it then but what about now- I bet it helps you hold onto the handlebars, right?

Wait, which way does it stick through you thumb....

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2013, 03:02:35 PM »
That guy is one of my heroes. Well, not one of my regular heroes but one of my most favored 'warped' heroes!

There is another article I read about him that went into much greater detail about the neutron emitter he made. It was diabolically efficient and effective.

But most of all, he used a lot of aluminum foil and duct tape and who among us does not respect that? Notice he even taped the tool box containing the emitter closed with duct tape? Now that right there is just cool....

The most recent photos of him show a lot of really nasty red 'thingies' all over his face and neck. He would not submit to actual testing but the symptoms point to a huge dose of ionizing radiation absorption. He could probably be a dentist now and not even bother stepping behind the wall to snap the X-ray.... for that matter, he would probably not even need an X-ray machine.

Brian

Long read but VERY interesting! That made my dabbling in explosives back in the day look like child's play.    ;)

Thanks for the post Brian.    :thumbs:

Offline Stasch

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2013, 03:03:03 PM »
Jr. High science club after school.

Access to the chemical storage area.  Elements are obtained, gunpowder is mixed.

A bottle is exploded using an electrical cord to detonate it.

It all fun and games until someone gets hurt . . . . .

Then it gets hilarious.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2013, 03:10:06 PM »
You know, it's amazing that any of us middle aged & older guys here in the U.S. survived our childhoods... with the things people freak about these days, the term 'milk toast' comes to mind!
 ;D

Thanks for the read!
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2013, 03:33:59 PM »
Jr. High science club after school.

Access to the chemical storage area.  Elements are obtained, gunpowder is mixed.

A bottle is exploded using an electrical cord to detonate it.

It all fun and games until someone gets hurt . . . . .

Then it gets hilarious.

I laugh in your general direction at your gunpowder.  We used HCL, aluminum foil and glass quart bottles.  That lasted until I got a glass shard in the corner of my eye and second degree acid burns on my butt.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2013, 03:39:02 PM »
You know, it's amazing that any of us middle aged & older guys here in the U.S. survived our childhoods...

+1  The things we did while growing up in HI... the restricted areas we used to get in to... we'd be shot today!   :o
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2013, 03:40:20 PM »
Yep, been there as well on the AF bases we lived on.  Can't tell you how many times I got nabbed by the APs.