Author Topic: Gen 1, Removing Vents, Increasing heat flow for winter?  (Read 10239 times)

Offline lonekazoo

Gen 1, Removing Vents, Increasing heat flow for winter?
« on: October 31, 2013, 12:10:34 PM »
I know everyone talks about the unwanted heat coming out of the lower fairing on the 08-09's, but I was just watching a Kawasaki press video on youtube from the original release of the C14, and someone stated that it was a feature that the side vent deflectors can be removed to allow MORE heat to hit the rider during colder weather.

This intrigued me, as I like to ride well into the winter.  I can't say I have read the manual word for word, but I don't remember seeing this documented.  Has anyone tried it, and if so, does it actually work? 

Thanks!
George
'08 C14
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 07:09:07 PM by lonekazoo »

Offline Conrad

Re: Increasing heat flow?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 12:18:29 PM »
I don't know about any extra heat but I removed my deflectors because I think that the bike looks a lot better without them. I ride year round this way.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 01:31:51 PM »
Riding on the wild side, eh?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 01:59:23 PM »
Riding on the wild side, eh?

Yeah, throwing caution to the wind and riding nearly unprotected!

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 02:01:25 PM »
Does your wife know about this?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 02:05:24 PM »
Does your wife know about this?

Hush now.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 02:07:59 PM »
 :D

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 04:15:54 PM »
and someone stated that it was a feature that the side vent deflectors can be removed to allow MORE heat to hit the rider during colder weather.

I often wondered why, on a bike like ours, they didn't design the dash to optionally collect heat and dump it on the rider for cold riding months.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 07:33:13 PM »
Way too logical, Max.

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 09:47:15 PM »
Those ugly deflectors were the 2nd thing to go in the trash, after I threw out the black bazooka. I have ridden 30,000 miles without 'em- even this summer thru the Mojave desert and 112* - no problemo. The deflectors do almost nothing besides look like a tacked on afterthought of some engineering student. My Connie is even more beautiful now.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 01:47:26 AM »
Consider Gerbings, strongly ;)  My deflectors are in the process of being turned red (camouflage power adder for ZGs bike  ;) )

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 03:07:36 AM »
mmm... I'll give it a try. Always wondered what the difference would be, never thought of actually asking or trying it. Getting old is no fun...
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Dan Forker

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 03:55:06 AM »

Maybe it's too early for me to think, but what are the side vent deflectors you are referring to?

Fork

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 04:34:23 AM »

Maybe it's too early for me to think, but what are the side vent deflectors you are referring to?

Fork

unlike the newer ones, the '08 and '09 have a deflector on both sides of the radiator flow exit that are attached with screws to the frame. These can be taken out.

Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 04:44:31 AM »
mmm... I'll give it a try. Always wondered what the difference would be, never thought of actually asking or trying it. Getting old is no fun...

Speaking for myself Martin, I'm have lots of fun (33 more days till I retire). Besides, it's better than the alternative isn't it (as far as we know at least)?

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many..."

Offline TallyRex

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2013, 05:27:41 AM »

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2013, 09:28:56 AM »
Consider Gerbings, strongly ;)  My deflectors are in the process of being turned red (camouflage power adder for ZGs bike  ;) )

:thumbs: :cool: :chugbeer:

Offline lonekazoo

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2013, 11:48:15 AM »
I appreciate the comments.  If there's a cosmetic improvement as well, heck what am I waiting for!...I'll give it a try.

George

Offline Conrad

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2013, 12:03:54 PM »
I appreciate the comments.  If there's a cosmetic improvement as well, heck what am I waiting for!...I'll give it a try.

George

Once you remove the deflectors you're going to need some new screws to fill the holes of the old stock screws as the stockers are too long to fit properly. Before you run out and get some screws check inside of the deflectors. There's been reports of some folks finding the screws that they need there. Not on mine though. I picked up some stainless steel screws at the hardware store.

Offline lonekazoo

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2013, 05:14:51 PM »
Once you remove the deflectors you're going to need some new screws to fill the holes of the old stock screws as the stockers are too long to fit properly. Before you run out and get some screws check inside of the deflectors. There's been reports of some folks finding the screws that they need there. Not on mine though. I picked up some stainless steel screws at the hardware store.

Thanks!   I did take them off, and I did have the extra two bolts and washers hidden away in the foam pieces in the back of the vents.  And I do like the looks without them!  I haven't tested them off yet, but at this point if I get a little extra warmth out of the sides this time of year, it'll be a bonus.