Author Topic: brake pads completely gone  (Read 15962 times)

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
brake pads completely gone
« on: October 28, 2013, 01:45:14 PM »
I did a tour to the Alps this weekend and when coming back to Munich I started feeling the brakes extra bad, vibrating and weak. Had a look at them in a petrol station in Austria (fuel is cheaper then than in Italy  ;D ) and I'm sure that if I made another full brake I'll scratch the discs.
Can anybody tell me what their replacement might cost? My dealer is on holidays until next week and I won't let anybody else touch my bike, including my useless self. I had the pads replaced before but always when also performing a service. This will be the first time that I'm taking her exclusively for this job.
Thanks!

BTW, playing cat and mouse with a friend on a Duc 999s I didn't just scrap the left peg feeler, I also scrapped the left side case  :o  I know it's childish but I feel proud...
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 03:37:04 AM by VirginiaJim »
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: break pads completely gone
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 04:35:11 PM »
Martin, have no clue on what it would cost over there...

Murph sells them....

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=130_157

That might give you some idea...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Broz

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 06:22:27 PM »
If you can loosen the Allen bolt you can change your own pads. You don't even need to take anything else off.  It couldn't be easier. Also I've heard you can get EBC brake pads at much much cheaper cost.
Semper Fi
Broz
2012 C-14.  Black

Offline rocknrod

• 2013 C14 - Blue
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 10:06:24 PM »
Video on how to:

Someone on the forum changed them:
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=6748.0
Master Chief, US Navy, Retired
2013 C14 Blue, Fenda Extenda, Radiator Screen, HeliBars, Glove Box Mod, 3M paint Protector, Rostra Cruise Control, TechSpec Tank Grips, Lowering Links and Side Stand, Front lowered, Lowered center stand, Balwin Seat.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 01:52:03 PM »
man, that IS simple!  :battle:

anyway, I made already an appointment at the workshop. They'll charge me the parts and 45 min. labour. I think it's fair.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 02:05:32 PM »
Well one can certainly mess things up.....  For instance, put in new pads and don't check the level of the brake fluid in the front master cylinder....  If one has too much fluid, the pads won't retract.  If the pads won't retract then they start overheating and then it can go downhill from there...  Don't ask me how I know this.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 02:11:56 PM »
Video on how to:

Someone on the forum changed them:
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=6748.0

Interesting vid. It never occurred to me to change the pads without pulling the caliper. It only takes a minute or so extra to pull the caliper but this looks a lot easier because the caliper is held steady and you can insert one pad at a time without having to hold in in place while you try and line them up for the pin. I guess that's why he filed the edges to make it easier to slip them in. Next time I replace the pads I think I'll give this a try.

Offline AZBob

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 03:03:06 PM »
Interesting vid. It never occurred to me to change the pads without pulling the caliper.

Based on the fact that he doesn't really know how to use a metal file, I'm not sure I'd follow his advice.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 03:37:26 PM »
Based on the fact that he doesn't really know how to use a metal file, I'm not sure I'd follow his advice.

Perhaps, but that doesn't change the fact that he is able to get the old pads out and new ones in without pulling the caliper. Never knew that was an option.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 09:18:50 PM »
I just wonder what he thinks he is accomplishing?  No value to it, and actually creates issues.  Crap will build up in the cavity he created, add heat and wham...  New pads come squared up for a reason.

Offline SkyWalker

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 09:43:02 PM »
I did a tour to the Alps this weekend and when coming back to Munich I started feeling the brakes extra bad, vibrating and weak. Had a look at them in a petrol station in Austria (fuel is cheaper then than in Italy  ;D) and I'm sure that if I made another full brake I'll scratch the discs.
Can anybody tell me what their replacement might cost? My dealer is on holidays until next week and I won't let anybody else touch my bike, including my useless self. I had the pads replaced before but always when also performing a service. This will be the first time that I'm taking her exclusively for this job.
Thanks!

BTW, playing cat and mouse with a friend on a Duc 999s I didn't just scrap the left peg feeler, I also scrapped the left side case  :o  I know it's childish but I feel proud...

On Co-active braked C14 (linked brakes) the RH FWD pads wear first. This is from the rear brake system coactively applying pressure to the RH FWD caliper. My C14 wore through it first set of FWD pads in 30,000km/18,000mi

Offline Kas

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 10:06:41 PM »
Very common for the Concours police bikes to replace brake pads every 3500 miles. If they use moving radar their tires get replaced then too.  Left side wears terribly from u-turns.  The Cops ride em like they stole em every day.

Offline pistole

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 01:36:15 AM »
- personally : i would remove the calipers from the forks , clean the 4 pistons before pushing them back into the caliper and then change the pads.

- replacing the pads with the calipers in-situ maybe a shortcut option if you're stranded on the road with worn down pads.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 02:36:13 AM »
How did he pull out thin worn pads and then get the new thick pads back in without pushing the pistons back in? Did I see him use the needle nose to push the piston in?
I wont be doing that method anyway. I like to clean around the pistons before pushing them back in.
Just an FYI. On my old E.L.R. it had quick change calipers. I would push or pull out on the caliper and a pad would fall out and I slip in a new one- push and the back one would fall out and then slip in a new one-- hold it it in and pump the brake lever -- done. It took a few seconds to change pads.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2013, 06:56:22 AM »
How did he pull out thin worn pads and then get the new thick pads back in without pushing the pistons back in? Did I see him use the needle nose to push the piston in?I wont be doing that method anyway. I like to clean around the pistons before pushing them back in.
Just an FYI. On my old E.L.R. it had quick change calipers. I would push or pull out on the caliper and a pad would fall out and I slip in a new one- push and the back one would fall out and then slip in a new one-- hold it it in and pump the brake lever -- done. It took a few seconds to change pads.

Yup, looked like he is pulling the handles apart to push the pistons out.

Offline PH14

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2013, 11:55:30 AM »
I miss the brakes on my RC51. They were designed to replace the pads without removing the calipers. It was a coupld minute job on either side. On the C14, I'll remove the calipers.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2013, 12:22:45 PM »
Same thing on the C-14- the pads are designed to be removed without removing the calipers too. Just pull the pad retainer pin, take out the old pads, push the pistons back into the caliper, install the new pads, the spring clip and pad retainer clip. Couple of minutes per side also- I do not see how anyone could make it any easier or faster.

All of that said, I always remove the calipers from motorcycles to clean around the pistons before pushing them back into the caliper anyway. Not required or even the recommended method according to the manual but I like to remove the ring of grundge rather than trying to scrape it off by using the dust seals, or worse, the piston seals.

Brian

I miss the brakes on my RC51. They were designed to replace the pads without removing the calipers. It was a coupld minute job on either side. On the C14, I'll remove the calipers.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline PH14

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2013, 03:19:37 PM »
Same thing on the C-14- the pads are designed to be removed without removing the calipers too. Just pull the pad retainer pin, take out the old pads, push the pistons back into the caliper, install the new pads, the spring clip and pad retainer clip. Couple of minutes per side also- I do not see how anyone could make it any easier or faster.

All of that said, I always remove the calipers from motorcycles to clean around the pistons before pushing them back into the caliper anyway. Not required or even the recommended method according to the manual but I like to remove the ring of grundge rather than trying to scrape it off by using the dust seals, or worse, the piston seals.

Brian

I haven't yet changed mine so I haven't looked closely. On this I will pull the calipers and clean, on the RC51 a visual inspection told me it wasn't necessary. They were changed more often that the C14 though so they hadn't accumulated as much crud.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: brake pads completely gone
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2013, 03:38:39 AM »
Martin, please forgive me but I had to correct the spelling of break brake in your subject line.  It was driving me banannas crazy.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
Re: brake pads completely gone
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2013, 03:43:05 AM »

like this?