Author Topic: How long to keep full coverage  (Read 5683 times)

Offline timsatx

• Arena
How long to keep full coverage
« on: October 22, 2013, 09:52:33 PM »
In about three more payments I will be thru paying my loan down. Of course I have had to keep full coverage but I was wondering what the thoughts were as far as keeping full coverage or cutting back? Mine is a 2002.

Offline Conrad

Re: How long to keep full coverage
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 05:31:54 AM »
My '08 (purchased 5/09) has been paid off for a couple of years now and I still have full coverage. It's not that expensive so I'll just leave it as is.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 09:55:01 AM »
My '08 (purchased 5/09) has been paid off for a couple of years now and I still have full coverage. It's not that expensive so I'll just leave it as is.

+1   :)
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 10:08:43 AM »

+2

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 10:31:43 AM »
+3
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 11:05:46 AM »
+4
Typically I keep full coverage until the value is low enough that the sting of losing the vehicle isn't so bad. Some people say that's a year's worth of insurance premiums, some say two. Since coverage is so cheap, I'll probably keep mine a long time. (Bike is paid off already, but the premium is minor compared to the replacement cost of a 2011.)
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline Stasch

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 11:21:03 AM »
If you had to replace a C10 of similar year, mileage and condition that is one value.

Then there is the value for the add-ons (figure cost new to replace) which can easily double the total insurable / KBB value for a C10. 
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline JoeRau

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 01:00:42 PM »
I went with the 1 payment method on my 2012 this past June.  I will continue to carry full coverage for MSRP as long as I own the bike.  This does not cost me as much per year as my truck does in 3 months. 
That reminds me- I have a thread to start....
2012 C14.  Black
COG member 10990

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 01:19:49 PM »
Full coverage insurance on a C14 is so cheap it's a no brainer, I even have $25k of accessory coverage for it and road side assist as well and it's still dirt cheap...  :)

The only time to not have full coverage on any vehicle IMO is when you're comfortable to just walk away from it in the case of a total loss... Like maybe if it's a C10.  :o ;D :rotflmao:     j/k  :grouphug:

Last year one of our daughters totaled their car, I only had liability coverage on it, man that was so painful to get absolutely zero $ from the insurance...  :'(

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 02:31:58 PM »
Full coverage insurance on a C14 is so cheap it's a no brainer, I even have $25k of accessory coverage for it and road side assist as well and it's still dirt cheap...  :)

Doesn't sound like enough for you ;D

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 03:12:18 PM »
 :rotflmao: You got that right!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 06:25:47 PM »
:rotflmao: You got that right!

What are you laughing at Sparky...  >:(

;D :chugbeer: :grouphug:

Son of Pappy

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2013, 08:55:18 PM »
Full coverage insurance on a C14 is so cheap it's a no brainer, I even have $25k of accessory coverage per color for it and road side assist as well and it's still dirt cheap...  :)

FIFY 8)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2013, 09:23:44 PM »
FIFY 8)

:rotflmao:

If she goes down I'll take the insurance check and put on another set of bodywork and be good to go.  :)

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 03:07:52 PM »

Accessory coverage only covers 30-40% of the MSRP value of the accessory at the time of loss.  Not sure how that would work out with all the custom paint and powder coating on your's though.
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2013, 05:45:44 PM »
Accessory coverage only covers 30-40% of the MSRP value of the accessory at the time of loss.  Not sure how that would work out with all the custom paint and powder coating on your's though.

Not with Progressive, mine covers 100% replacement cost and install cost. I had to send them scans of all my receipts, which was very time consuming and quite a pain, and then they sent somebody to my house to take a bunch of pics, but in the end well worth it and glad I took the time to do it.  :)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2013, 04:19:33 AM »
That's a good tip, Jay.  For us that have uncounted number of farkles on the bike it would behoove (word of the day) us to keep better track.  I know I don't, but am planning to put together a document or spread sheet (never done one before) of all the items I've bought for the bike (that are installed or not... ;) ).

Offline Conrad

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2013, 04:42:33 AM »
That's a good tip, Jay.  For us that have uncounted number of farkles on the bike it would behoove (word of the day) us to keep better track.  I know I don't, but am planning to put together a document or spread sheet (never done one before) of all the items I've bought for the bike (that are installed or not... ;) ).

Do you have a list of those 'words of the day' or do you just pick them at random?    ;D
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2013, 08:35:03 AM »
Do you have a list of those 'words of the day' or do you just pick them at random?    ;D

It behooves us to ask this question.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2013, 02:50:53 PM »
The voices in his head provide direction in his actions.  Why else would he drink martinis before bed time? :o