Author Topic: Oil pressure light after oil change  (Read 12756 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Oil pressure light after oil change
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2013, 06:09:26 AM »
Oil pressurization is not what makes a hydrodynamic bearing, such as main crankshaft or connecting rob bearings work. What makes the bearing work is the rotation of the shaft; the best analogy I ever heard is that the shaft 'water skiis' on the oil. As the shaft rotates, it shears its way through a layer of oil, and the shear forces all balance and are evenly distributed around the shaft. But when you push sideways on the shaft and move it from the center of the bearing housing, the shear forces where the shaft gets closer to the outer housing skyrocket; this is what supports a crankshaft in a running engine.

A lot of people seem to think that something like a crankshaft or connecting rod bearing touches the shaft only occasionally, only on start- up, etc., etc. but in fact, the shaft virtually never touches the bearing shells. Bearings are made out of lead, aluminum and copper generally and you can easily scrape the bearing material out of the bearing shell with a pocket knife. Such a bearing would not last even a few revolutions of the main shaft if it were not coated with oil.

Pressurizing galleys to feed main and con rod bearings merely makes sure the gap is full of oil and provides enough oil flow through the bearings to cool them. Note that small, one cylinder engines have no pressurized oiling systems and yet function very well with hydrodynamic bearings. So getting oil to each bearing, under pressure, is important but not crucial nor is it particularly time critical regarding the difference between a few seconds or perhaps twice that amount of time.

Brian

There probably is oil the bearings but I THINK you need oil pressure to provide a lubicating layer between the moving parts.  Not an expert here
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2013, 06:18:35 AM »
Just my opinion but the filter is not full of oil. If you are pouring oil into the center hole, that void will fill and the filter material will begin to wick up oil but that is not the same as filling the filter.

If you were to fill a new oil filter, leave it overnight (open side up of course), I think the next day you would find the level of oil inside way down in the filter. It would take several such iterations to truly fill the filter. Either that or you would have to actually force oil through the filter to fill it with some type of oil pump and filter mounting device.

And finally when the filter really was full, when you turned it sideways it would pour oil out just as a used (but really full) oil filter does when you unscrew it.

But as with so many things, if putting some oil in your oil filters makes you happy, by all means go for it. It will not cause any damage or problems and let's face it, making the owner happy is the real job of the motorcycle and all its accouterments, right?

Brian

Surprising, that does not seem to be the case.  Can't tell you why but it seems to work.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2013, 07:07:18 AM »
Hey, just trying to use the last few hundred years of accumulated knowledge to fight the darkness. But the darkness has a lot of inertia and for some reason, people really like the darkness.

Brian
Darkness, darkness,
Long and lonesome,
Ease the day that brings me pain.
I have felt the edge of sadness,
I have known the depth of fear.
Darkness, darkness, be my blanket,
Cover me with the endless night,
Take away, take away the pain of knowing,
Fill the emptiness of right now,
Emptiness of right now, now, now
Emptiness of ri-ight now.

Jesse Colin Young
emphasis added
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2013, 07:22:40 AM »
I recall in the 80s seeing ads in the hotrod mags for a pre-oiler that used an electric motor to pressurize the oil a few seconds prior to starting. Was claimed to make an engine last forever. I almost bought one for my built Camaro.

As for the delayed oil light I wonder what filters are being used. I remember reading that Purolator recommends against using their Pure One filters in motorcycles, I think because of the less powerful oil pumps not handling the finer filter material.

In that case maybe pre-filling filters might help. Also maybe if the engine has been idle for several weeks prior to the oil change.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline p07r0457

« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2013, 11:05:32 AM »
In that case maybe pre-filling filters might help. Also maybe if the engine has been idle for several weeks prior to the oil change.

Typically, you should ride the bike for 20+ minutes to get the oil up to temp, immediately prior to changing the oil.

Exception: Bike has been sitting for years, or there was an incident to contaminate the oil, such as coolant getting in the oil. (in that case I'd change the oil before starting the engine)
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Candy Diamond Red
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S - Candy Aleutian Blue and Shasta White
2017 Acura MDX SH-AWD Advance - White Diamond Pearl
2018 Infiniti QX30 Premium AWD - Majestic White

Offline basmntdweller

• The Profile Brotherhood
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2013, 11:24:35 AM »
Back about 1975, my dad and I were changing oil in all our vehicles. We had drained them all and replaced the filters and drain plugs. My older sister came out of the house on one of here rants, jumped in moms Olds Delta 88 and took off. My dad asked me if I put oil in it yet. I shook my head no as I was finishing pouring in the last quart into his Mustang. He grabbed four quarts, jumped in his car and took off after her. She was especially miffed about something and refused to pull over while dad was honking and waving at her. She finally stopped when she pulled into her friends driveway. The car made this 3.5 mile trip on no oil and seemingly suffered no ill effects. My sister on the other hand had to endure a loud lengthly lecture about idiot lights and heeding him when he is honking and yelling to pull over.  She also got grounded from driving a few weeks.
We kept that car for several more years and it never had a problem due to running it out of oil.

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350
'11 Suzuki C50T wife's ride since she hates my Connie
'03 Honda CBR600RR track bike

Offline aspire61

• 08 concours + 85 madura 1200
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2013, 06:06:48 PM »
Typically, you should ride the bike for 20+ minutes to get the oil up to temp, immediately prior to changing the oil.

Exception: Bike has been sitting for years, or there was an incident to contaminate the oil, such as coolant getting in the oil. (in that case I'd change the oil before starting the engine)

+1 on draining the oil when its hot.    mat
No mans opinion is entirely worthless- even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2013, 05:12:52 PM »
If you fill the filter about 2/3rds full, very little spills out. I work on big trucks for a living, and filling oil filters first is a must. Three filters per engine equals 9 quarts of oil. :o
The grass isn't always greener.