Author Topic: Zumo 665 and Cardo Q3 headset..  (Read 12299 times)

Offline ropjohns

Zumo 665 and Cardo Q3 headset..
« on: October 06, 2013, 11:26:34 AM »
As the title states, that is my entertainment and technology setup on my 13 connie.  The gps works great as a navigator, music player, and xm player.  The cardo works great for my girl and I to communicate.  However, with the zumo and cardo connected through bluetooth, the xm reception immediately goes to one bar, or i lose it completely for long periods of time. The music player will randomly freeze, and I have to reset the gps to work it again.  Now, when it freezes, or when there is no xm reception, I turn my headset off, and the music starts playing again, and the xm reception goes straight to 3 bars!  What a bunch of shite!! Has anyone had experience with this?

So, I would like to know if the following will work (if there is no good bluetooth solution):  Bypass bluetooth completely by connecting with a 3.5mm cable the gps to my headset.  However, I would need a 3.5mm splitter cable to plug into my headset, thus making me able to plug both my speaker cable and gps cable into the splitter.  Will this work???

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
Re: Zumo 665 and Cardo Q3 headset..
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 02:28:39 PM »
That is strange. Have both units been updated to the latest firmware?
They may have already fixed this.
A call to Garmin may  help too.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline ropjohns

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 03:42:41 PM »
They're both updated.  I will call both places tomorrow.  But does anyone know if I can split the sound like that?  So I would have sound coming in from the gps AND headset to the same pair of speakers? 

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 04:26:06 PM »
Could run both through a mini-amp or mixer then cable to the helmet speakers.

Offline ropjohns

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 05:11:19 PM »
any suggestions for mini-amp or mixer before I start looking?

Offline udoggie

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 05:32:14 PM »
Do you have the XM receiver near the GPS?  Try separating them as far apart as possible -- They could be an interference issue.

-Jeff
Aloha, OR.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 05:47:30 PM »
any suggestions for mini-amp or mixer before I start looking?
Don't know if I understand your problem for sure but one of these might work.
http://www.electric-avenues.com/amplirider.html
http://www.mixitproducts.com/

Offline ropjohns

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 05:57:40 PM »
Do you have the XM receiver near the GPS?  Try separating them as far apart as possible -- They could be an interference issue.

-Jeff

They are 12 inches apart, more then adequate according to instructions.  Also, I really can't put it anywhere farther....obviously limited on a motorcycle.  Besides, I said in my post it stutters and freezes with the mp3 too, which as nothing to do with xm

Offline ropjohns

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 06:04:45 PM »
the mixitproduct might be perfect.  get rid of bluetooth, and still hear both helmet headset conversations and gps music!  thank you for the link!!

Offline ropjohns

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 06:15:52 PM »
Just to make sure it is the bluetooth, I turned on my headset and gps, hit play on mp3, and it made the "skipping noise", i let it do that for about 20 seconds, turned off my headset, and as soon as the bluetooth disconnected the music started playing fine out of my zumo.  looks like i will have to get that mixitproduct to avoid connecting my zumo to my headset with bluetooth.  just an extra $159 on top of this $800 gps....no big deal....

what a bunch of shite

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 07:31:00 PM »
can you test that 665 with someone else headset or  pair of bluetooth headphones
You need to isolate the problem to one of those two devices.
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline ropjohns

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 03:56:07 AM »
Yeah, I'm hoping it's just the cardo headset system, and something like the Sena would work fine.  But, I don't have access to one, so i would have to buy it to test it out.  i had a used 665 i bought off ebay, and i used it on my trip to NC.  it did the same thing, and i thought i bought a broken system.  i returned it and bought a brand new 665, and was very disappointed to find that the same thing happened.  it is def the zumo, but i dont know if sena will work better with it

Offline C14PAINKILLER

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 11:54:04 AM »
I'm running a 665 as well with the Cardo G4. Had the same problem, audio freezing and music playing in mono instead of stereo. Would take a few resets between the Cardo and 665. Ended up just wiring it with the 3.5 mm jack, problem solved.
2010 PAINKILLER BLUE   COG# 9405
Rides the metal monster, breathing smoke and fire

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 02:01:35 PM »
The whole point of Bluetooth is to be wireless.
I bought this unit to go from my Zumo550 XM  via Bluetooth. (on the 550 XM does not transmit via bluetooth)

I tested the following unit to my J&M headset and it works great.
I do not see why it would not work with Cardo but maybe those things are a problem.
Hows well does the Cardo  G4 work when listening to music from a smart phone?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004B8GF7Y/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline zarticus

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2013, 08:15:23 PM »
I just bought a new Zumo 600lm & it works perfect with my Cardo Q2, Maybe its the new Cardo's ?
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14 -  Candy Arabian Red
2014 Kawasaki Vaquero - Candy Burnt Orange
1986 Honda V65 Magna - Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna - Black

Son of Pappy

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2013, 08:20:27 PM »
These reasons are exactly why I ended up hard wired.  No batteries to worry about, great sound, and no synching issues.  The apparent convenience turned into more of a hassle than simply plugging in before I put my gloves on.

Offline G-Mazz

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2013, 08:38:34 AM »
I sent you a PM for things you can try to correct the issues you described.  I had similar connection problems with my 665,
iPhone 5 and Cardo Q4.  Now everything is working as it is suppose to.   
'08 C-14