Author Topic: stupid question?  (Read 3223 times)

Offline gtr a14

stupid question?
« on: September 24, 2013, 10:20:16 AM »
My mate has a c10 with the speedo in kph, in uk we use mph, is it the internals of the clock that determin kph or mph or is it the speedo drive that does this?  ???

Offline 2fast

• COG #6497, North Central Area Director
    • C-10 Heat Shield photos
Re: stupid question?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 11:09:24 AM »
It's the marking on the dial face. Most US models show both in over/under arcs. Check to be sure you do not have a smaller inner arc with MPH.
Brian in Minnesota
Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme. Richard Thompson

Need Heat Shields for the C-10? 86-93 Front Brake upgrade brackets?  I got em! Click the little green globe under my Avatar on the left.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 11:14:55 AM »
Agreed. Internals on the speedo and speedo drive should be the same.....KPH  and MPH....
But as I recall the bikes with KPH do not have a MPH conversion shown on them.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline gtr a14

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 11:25:17 AM »
thanks folks, at present his speedo has a decal over the face showing mph readings, i have spare mph clocks in garage but was not sure if a straight swop would work!!  :)

Offline julianop

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 02:38:42 PM »
What, you can't divide by 1.6 while screaming down the highway at 180kph? ;-)
Julian.
Elk River, MN.
Seasonal Temporal Navigational Disorder - that inexplicable but wholly satisfying affliction that causes one to lose the ability to drive a motorcycle straight home after work in the summer months, despite the apparent ability to make the reverse journey that same morning.

Offline gtr a14

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 02:56:19 AM »
 ;D lol.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 05:06:44 AM »
In the UK the bike must have MPH on the clocks to pass the annual inspection (MOT test).
Otherwise divide by 1.6 is easier. Personally I just remember the following table;
30Mph = 50Kph
40Mph = 65Kph
50Mph = 80Kph
60Mph = 95Kph
70Mph = 110Kph
Over 110Kph = illegal  ;D

You can buy some mechanical converters that screw in line with the speedo cable, or you could replace the clock face.
Be aware that the needle is VERY fragile and easily broken.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline gtr a14

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 06:52:04 AM »
Thanks boomer, will try such a device  :)

Offline julianop

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 12:43:28 PM »
When precise speed matters (slabbing it) I enable the GPS on my smartphone and use the Ulysses Speedometer app.
That won't help you get past an MOT, of course, but it does give you an accurate reading plus some additional fun features.

Remember that if your speedometer is in kmh your odometer is in km....
Julian.
Elk River, MN.
Seasonal Temporal Navigational Disorder - that inexplicable but wholly satisfying affliction that causes one to lose the ability to drive a motorcycle straight home after work in the summer months, despite the apparent ability to make the reverse journey that same morning.

Offline Summit670

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 06:00:23 PM »
All this math is making me hungry!

Reminds me of a story - a group of us went from Nebraska to Mexico 15 or so years ago, where limits are in Kmph.  Since I was the only bike that had both features, they asked me to keep 7 of us at the speed limit because nobody wanted to take any chances and have to deal with Mexican Policia or whatever they are called.     That went fine for about 25 miles, then everyone started speeding anyhow and luckily we didn't get stopped.  We were only 16mph over so it wasn't like we were 50 over.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 08:17:02 AM »
I guess it's just second nature for us Canadians that were licensed before Canada adopted the Metric system...   Don't even have to think anymore, the conversion is almost automatic.  100km = 60miles, 80=50, 60=40, 50=30, these aren't the numbers you'd get on a calculator, but if you look at a bilingual speedo, they're not more than a mile or two off - probably close enough to make no difference...

I remember when we first switched over, you could get sticker sets for those that had cars marked only in MPH.  They had every multiple of 10 up to 180 or so, but most people I remember only put the ones corresponding to certain speed zones on : 100,80,60,50.

I'll admit to forgetting occasionally though. There have been a few times when I've been 'south of 49' on I81 and thought that traffic was moving REALLY fast for 65, before realizing I was doing 65kph rather than 65mph...  About 25mph too slow.

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......