Author Topic: Throttle Tamer, didn't know what I was missing  (Read 44582 times)

Offline kzkid

Re: Throttle Tamer, didn't know what I was missing
« Reply #100 on: September 16, 2015, 09:56:35 PM »
I just modified my throttle today as "Silver Connie Rider" did.  Yes, it works!!!  Saves money from buying a throttle tamer.  It works fantastic!!!!!  Thanks!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #101 on: January 17, 2017, 05:47:40 PM »
Got on and rode around the neighborhood with stops and tight turns- wow what a difference!  SO much easier to control now at low throttle/speed.  Very much worth it.
One thing I forgot to mention, the throttle action feels much smoother now, too.  I can only attribute that to the higher quality throttle tube instead of that OEM plastic one.

Just a post to say I am still very happy with this aftermarket product.  It is still very smooth after almost two years and no issues.  In another thread I recommended it as something to install if your tube is old and you need to take it apart to clean or mess with it.   It is nice to have a metal tube and whatever they used for the wear surface (a white slippery area inside the tube) is still holding up nicely.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #102 on: January 17, 2017, 07:27:31 PM »
Max... if the bike fueled properly from the beginning there would be no need for the throttle tamer. Steve

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #103 on: January 17, 2017, 11:05:07 PM »
Max... if the bike fueled properly from the beginning there would be no need for the throttle tamer. Steve

That is partially correct.  But half the niceness of having the Tamer is that you get a high-quality metal  tube to replace the stock plastic one and the metal one is so much smoother and less binding.  It also has the advantage of being able to change out the cam for customizing different behavior quickly, easily, and inexpensively.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #104 on: January 18, 2017, 04:36:23 AM »
That is partially correct.  But half the niceness of having the Tamer is that you get a high-quality metal  tube to replace the stock plastic one and the metal one is so much smoother and less binding.  It also has the advantage of being able to change out the cam for customizing different behavior quickly, easily, and inexpensively.

The standard Throttle Tamer for our bikes does not have interchangeable cams, at least mine doesn't.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #105 on: January 18, 2017, 05:44:18 AM »
The standard Throttle Tamer for our bikes does not have interchangeable cams, at least mine doesn't.

I am only aware of one Tamer model made by G2 and that is what I purchased.  Did you get something different??  Just checked their site again to verify.

http://www.g2ergo.com/store/g2-street-tamer-throttle-tube/

G2 Key Points: 

* Machined from 6061 aluminum in the USA!
* Self-lubricating Delrin bushings at each end of tube eliminate aluminum-to-aluminum contact and provide an ultra-smooth feel.
* Included cam is removable and can be replaced with alternate cams (sold separately) to fine tune control.
* Fits inside the stock throttle housing to stock cables.
* Works with all known aftermarket cruise controls.
* Slide one of our Domino grips or your grip unto the Throttle Tamer.
* Installs in minutes!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #106 on: January 18, 2017, 05:59:45 AM »

Max, did you look around the site? I saw at least three models.

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #107 on: January 18, 2017, 08:22:27 AM »
Yeah - 3 models, but only 1 of them smooths the throttle activation like what Maxtog describes - one of the others is just a "stock" tube made out of better materials, and the other does the opposite - shorter turn for snappier acceleration.

I'd have to check mine to be sure, but I think the actual cam part of the Tamer is a separate piece held onto the throttle tube with a set screw, and could probably be removed/replaced if desired.  The photo on the site seems to confirm this...

On the site, there are different cams available : http://www.g2ergo.com/store/g2-cams/

The write-up says that the one that comes with the "street tamer" model (the one I got and the one I thing Maxtog is referring to) comes with a 400 CAM – Approximately 20% smaller for first 1/2 of throttle rotation, then ramps to stock size.

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

Offline Conrad

« Reply #108 on: January 18, 2017, 09:28:53 AM »
I am only aware of one Tamer model made by G2 and that is what I purchased.  Did you get something different??  Just checked their site again to verify.

http://www.g2ergo.com/store/g2-street-tamer-throttle-tube/

G2 Key Points: 

* Machined from 6061 aluminum in the USA!
* Self-lubricating Delrin bushings at each end of tube eliminate aluminum-to-aluminum contact and provide an ultra-smooth feel.
* Included cam is removable and can be replaced with alternate cams (sold separately) to fine tune control.
* Fits inside the stock throttle housing to stock cables.
* Works with all known aftermarket cruise controls.
* Slide one of our Domino grips or your grip unto the Throttle Tamer.
* Installs in minutes!

I purchased mine back in 11/2009 and at that time they did offer Tamers with replaceable cams but not for the C14. Here's a couple of pics of mine right after I installed it. Nothing replaceable there.

Click to zoom, go to details for a major zoom. You'll have to click it again and then for a MAJOR zoom click the lower right corner.

[smg id=635]

[smg id=634]

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #109 on: January 18, 2017, 01:11:31 PM »
Wouldn't that be a Lt. Colonel zoom?  I mean, that's bigger than Major.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #110 on: January 18, 2017, 01:27:47 PM »
Wouldn't that be a Lt. Colonel zoom?  I mean, that's bigger than Major.

If you manage to find your way to the last and largest zoom level, that would be General Zoom.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #111 on: January 18, 2017, 04:00:55 PM »
Max, did you look around the site? I saw at least three models.

Like Classvino said, there are three models, but only one is a "Tamer".  The other two are the same tube but with a like-OEM cam and a more aggressive cam.  The cams are are all interchangeable so it is just which cam is it coming with when you order it.  There is no non-adjustable model (at least not in the past several years).

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #112 on: January 18, 2017, 04:02:54 PM »
I purchased mine back in 11/2009 and at that time they did offer Tamers with replaceable cams but not for the C14. Here's a couple of pics of mine right after I installed it. Nothing replaceable there.

Yeah, maybe they decided to offer only a single model several years ago.  Makes sense, it is not like it costs more to make, and it means they stock less parts now and open another market for people buying additional cams.  Everyone wins :)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #113 on: January 18, 2017, 04:21:04 PM »
It also has the advantage of being able to change out the cam for customizing different behavior quickly, easily, and inexpensively.

I think I might need to modify the above.  Looking at the design, it looks like replacing the cam requires complete disassembly again-  With heated grips, I think that means grip removal, not just tube removal, since I don't think the cord is long enough to just remove the whole tube/grip assembly.  So that wouldn't be "quickly" nor "easily" just "possible" and still reasonably cheap ($24 or something)  :)   

I was thinking about this if you had a G2 Tamer model already installed and later wanted to switch to the more "OEM/Stock" (non-Tamer) cam because you were going to flash with something like the newer "evolution" version of [Steve's] Shoodaben's ECU flash,  which has more snatch control built-in.  Using that flash WITH the Tamer cam would probably retard throttle response too much.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #114 on: January 19, 2017, 04:42:52 AM »
I think I might need to modify the above.  Looking at the design, it looks like replacing the cam requires complete disassembly again-  With heated grips, I think that means grip removal, not just tube removal, since I don't think the cord is long enough to just remove the whole tube/grip assembly.  So that wouldn't be "quickly" nor "easily" just "possible" and still reasonably cheap ($24 or something)  :)   

I was thinking about this if you had a G2 Tamer model already installed and later wanted to switch to the more "OEM/Stock" (non-Tamer) cam because you were going to flash with something like the newer "evolution" version of [Steve's] Shoodaben's ECU flash,  which has more snatch control built-in.  Using that flash WITH the Tamer cam would probably retard throttle response too much.

I'd like to know what Steve's take is on the use of a TT with his flash?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #115 on: January 19, 2017, 04:47:29 AM »
see reply 102

Offline Conrad

« Reply #116 on: January 19, 2017, 04:50:39 AM »
see reply 102

I saw that from Steve. My question is how will the flash behave if I get it and already have a TT installed?

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #117 on: January 19, 2017, 04:58:56 AM »
I'd like to know what Steve's take is on the use of a TT with his flash?

I've released a new flash, the Evolution, which specifically addresses the need for mo betta' finite throttle control. In effect, no need for a throttle tamer because the ECU lets you get what you wanted from the throttle, not the off / on jolt of power when you are trying to feather in just a little power. Due to Kawasaki's mapping and general setup of the eCU that wasn't easy to accomplish, but it's done, and very effective.  I haven't tried a throttle tamer with the Evolution flash, but I would be interested to do so for learning purposes. Over time I've had several folks report using a throttle tamer on the decel flash (same deal, they already had the TT) and they were very happy with the results. Steve

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #118 on: January 19, 2017, 10:06:28 AM »
I have one of the home made throttle tamers on my bike.
  For some reason, my bike seems to have more drive line slack that others.
  With the Decell Flash I noticed it the most in 5th and 6th gear when going from off throttle to on throttle.
  Bugged me.... So, I installed my modded throttle.
  The Tamer did away with about 50% of the thump I felt when rolling on the throttle.
I also talked to Steve about it and asked if he could do anything to help.
(Didn't know at the time that he was in-work on his new Evo Flash)

Recently he came out with the Evo Flash and I was fortunate enough to be one of his beta testers.
While designing the new flash, he had done as I asked and improved the initial surge when the injectors begin to fire...
Wow, what an improvement!!!

NOTE: I left the Tamer on as I was too lazy to take it off...
          I'm keeping the Tamer as I think it helps control the power in low throttle openings.

I'll end with,,,
The Tamer works well with the Decell Flash.
If you have the tamer already, (and get the Evo Flash) keep it..
If you don't have a tamer already,,,  spend your $$ on his new Flash!

I don't think the tamer is necessary with his new Flash. I'm too tight to spend the $$ for the little bit of improvement you will get.
I do think, the "free" Mod is worth doing to get that little bit of improved control over the first 25% of rotation.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: I've talked to Kawasaki about the slack in my drive line..
     They seem to think it's within limits.
      And now,, (with the Evo and the Tamer)  they can't feel it...

« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 08:27:42 AM by connie_rider »

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #119 on: January 19, 2017, 10:10:01 AM »
Ted, just to be clear, you did adjust almost all the slack out of your cables?