Author Topic: C-10 rear fender chopped?  (Read 6485 times)

Offline psample

C-10 rear fender chopped?
« on: September 18, 2013, 08:27:41 AM »
Just bought a 2002 C-10 and noticing that the rear fender has been nicely chopped about 6".  Anyone know why they would do this?  They also removed the license plate lamp and moved the plate directly under the brake lamp. 

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
Re: C-10 rear fender chopped?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 09:52:12 AM »
Makes it a lot easier to change the rear tire and gives it a more sporty look.  Its a pretty common thing to do.  Depending on state laws, you might want to add thoselittle LED stalk lights to light the tag to be "legal".
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline psample

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 10:11:41 AM »
Oh cool, can you explain the "tag led lights" a little further please?

Offline nosaint7

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 10:40:32 AM »
Combination tag plate bolt and LED to light tag...   See:
http://www.customdynamics.com/illuminatorz_licence_plates.htm#LED_Tag_Bolts
current: 2003 C10
past: Yamaha Vstar, Yamaha XS750, Suzuki T500, BSA 650 Lightning (yup - I'm OLD!)

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 10:45:29 AM »
Those are what I purchased from my local shop.  I think Walmart and Pep Boys carry some cheap ones too.  Look above my tag in the pictures and you can see them.

On a side note, they also help reduce the electric load a little.  Real important when running electric gear and aux lights.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 10:48:38 AM »
Combination tag plate bolt and LED to light tag...   See:
http://www.customdynamics.com/illuminatorz_licence_plates.htm#LED_Tag_Bolts

Just noticed the black ones.  Wish those were available when I got my chrome ones.

Offline gtr a14

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 02:01:30 AM »
Hi, i would dearly love to chop my rear fender but uk law wont permit it.. we have to display a certain size of reflector below numberplate. 6" off would make wheel removal so much easier !!  :(

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 05:02:27 AM »
Couldn't just just cut it 1" less than my picture above and move the existing reflector there?  I don't think anyone would even know its not OEM.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 06:33:05 AM »
Was probably one of the earliest mods I did to the bike was bobbing the big ass rear fender; as well as removing the 1970's lic plate light and flipping of the lic plate holder. I glued some split round rubber trim around the fender giving it all a very clean and factory like appearance.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline gtr a14

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 11:53:02 AM »
Couldn't just just cut it 1" less than my picture above and move the existing reflector there?  I don't think anyone would even know its not OEM.
Will try that and see, again we have a larger numberplate/ licenseplate here (uk) as well. see pic. Will have a go this weekend  ;)

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 03:34:13 PM »
Will try that and see, again we have a larger numberplate/ licenseplate here (uk) as well. see pic. Will have a go this weekend  ;)
That's not a numberplate, it's an entire rear fender, all by itself.   :o
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline julianop

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 07:11:46 PM »
That's not a numberplate, it's an entire rear fender, all by itself.   :o

Oh yes, and it's "mother of pearl" reflective, so it shines a bright amber in the headlights of following vehicles. Front licence plates are reflective white.
In Ireland the rear ones are red in color.
Julian.
Elk River, MN.
Seasonal Temporal Navigational Disorder - that inexplicable but wholly satisfying affliction that causes one to lose the ability to drive a motorcycle straight home after work in the summer months, despite the apparent ability to make the reverse journey that same morning.

Offline IraB

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 07:15:17 PM »

Open question:

Have any of you guys who have chopped the rear fender ridden in seriously wet conditions afterwards and does it make any difference in road water getting tossed on the bike and your back?

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 07:53:29 PM »

Open question:

Have any of you guys who have chopped the rear fender ridden in seriously wet conditions afterwards and does it make any difference in road water getting tossed on the bike and your back?

Yes.... It did not make enough difference for me to even notice; it still provides a lot of coverage unless you really hack it off way up high.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline IraB

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2013, 08:46:08 PM »
Yes.... It did not make enough difference for me to even notice; it still provides a lot of coverage unless you really hack it off way up high.

Appreciate the info.
I really like the look and serviceability of chopping the fender but will be riding in the rain a lot.

Offline psample

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2013, 12:04:05 PM »
Thanks for all the interesting pics and info on the rear fender!!  I really appreciate it :)

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2013, 01:47:15 PM »

Open question:

I have the OEM Kawasaki rack with a JC Whitney trunk on it.  I did notice that the trunk acquired a lot of mud at last years NE Fall Rally when I took my C10 on a road that was more suited for adventure touring.  But then, most of the bike acquired an awful lot of mud.  In more "normal" conditions, I do see that there is a bit more road grime on the bottom of the trunk, but it doesn't concern me.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157