Author Topic: Traction control and ABS  (Read 13130 times)

Offline Awaz

• Arena
Traction control and ABS
« on: September 10, 2013, 09:00:08 AM »
My bike is a 2008 non-ABS. So far, I have not had the need for ABS or traction control. I will not claim to be a very skilled rider, just a very defensive one. However, I am contemplating it is better to have traction control and ABS just as an insurance. Does it justify the cost to upgrade to a newer bike with those amenities? Any thoughts?
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Conrad

Re: Traction control and ABS
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 09:08:02 AM »
I've never owned a bike with TC but ABS is worth every penny.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 09:12:45 AM »
I wouldn't necessarily trade a perfectly good bike just to get the abs & traction control, but yes I think ABS is a good thing.  Much prefer to have the brakes unlinked though...

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 09:21:24 AM »
My last two bikes had ABS... my C14 has ABS... and I'll never by another bike without it.  It's worth every penny!
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 10:11:41 AM »
I'm happy with mine (08 ABS) and won't buy another without the ABS feature.  However, if I ever do buy another C14 it will have ABS/Traction control and linked brakes  :_shudder_Emoticon (hopefully they'll have the bugs worked out of the linked feature by then).
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Bourne2Ride

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 11:28:35 AM »
TC has saved my bacon on two occasions, and ABS is worth its weight in gold. I'll never own a bike without it. It's helped me stop without locking up the wheeles. In addition - My brother got into a bad accident (that put him in a coma for a week) when he grabbed a handful of front break (out of habbit) when a driver crossed in front of him from left to right. His front locked up, and the bike slid out from underneath him. He lowsided and slid under the front of the car (which ran him over). He still rides, but before he got a new bike, he swore he'd never get another bike without ABS. The people that were with him indicated he would have been able to stop if he'd had ABS. That's my one story, and one very good reason why I'll sware by it.
Save the Connie and Save the world!
- Heroes

Offline RubiconMike

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 02:37:21 PM »
I'd say it depends on how much it will cost you to trade up, and how easily you can afford the difference.

The C14 is the first bike I've ever had in over 40 years with ABS/TC. I know it's safer, but I've ridden so long without them, it doesn't seem that important to me. Others may feel stronger about having them.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 03:02:39 PM »
Bluntly, yes and no.  To  replace skill with mechanical aid?  When the time comes to replace your bike I see no reason not to get the mechanical advantage, but until then I would say spend the money on additional advanced rider training.

Make sense?  I hope so, I aint anti ABS in any way, shape, or form.  What I am against is replacing skill with 'lectronics 8)

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 03:09:49 PM »
Bluntly, yes and no.  To  replace skill with mechanical aid?  When the time comes to replace your bike I see no reason not to get the mechanical advantage, but until then I would say spend the money on additional advanced rider training.

Make sense?  I hope so, I aint anti ABS in any way, shape, or form.  What I am against is replacing skill with 'lectronics 8)

+1 and even after getting ABS, you still need to practice... practice... and practice.  8)
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 03:32:08 PM »
I wouldn't necessarily trade a perfectly good bike just to get the abs & traction control, but yes I think ABS is a good thing.  Much prefer to have the brakes unlinked though...

That.

I like that it's there for me, but I wasn't necessarily seeking it out when I bought the bike.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 03:54:49 PM »
My bike is a 2008 non-ABS. So far, I have not had the need for ABS or traction control. I will not claim to be a very skilled rider, just a very defensive one. However, I am contemplating it is better to have traction control and ABS just as an insurance. Does it justify the cost to upgrade to a newer bike with those amenities? Any thoughts?

Many such threads in the past.

ABS is great and I would not own a vehicle without it now.  Have not had it kick in yet on my C14 (nor traction control), but would not want to be without it when I need it.  Is it worth upgrading the bike just for that?  Probably not just for that... although there are lots of other good reasons (many other improvements in gen2 model) but you might want to wait another year to see what Kawasaki has coming...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 08:17:48 PM »
And be disappointed again?  Why wait a year on the hope that it might be better....  Nah, buy what you want now and enjoy it.  The world may end tomorrow and then where would you be?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 09:31:11 PM »
And be disappointed again?  Why wait a year on the hope that it might be better....  Nah, buy what you want now and enjoy it.  The world may end tomorrow and then where would you be?

I suspect, but without ANY evidence, that the 2015 will be the first of the gen3...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 04:01:53 AM »
You'd have a bike and no place to ride it.

Offline clogan

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 03:05:22 PM »
+1 and even after getting ABS, you still need to practice... practice... and practice.  8)

Plus, wear ALL your gear, ALL the time. Wear hi-vis colors. Ride as if you were invisible.

This sport we love is very thrilling, very exciting, but also dangerous. We need to use every tool available to mitigate that risk, not simply for the sake of our own skin, but perhaps moreso for those who love us.
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline PH14

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2013, 06:23:06 PM »

I agree 100% I love my 2009 non-ABS. I just took a ride the other day that included a stretch of twisty up and downhill gravel roads with some steep grades, and I shockingly was able to accelerate and stop without issue. If they continue to link the brakes on the C14 I will look elsewhere when replacing it most likely. I hate linked brakes on anything intended for sport riding. For a Goldwing, okay, for a sport touring bike, nope. Skills are more important, ABS is a good thing but it doesn't replace skill. Unfortunately the more someone relies on ABS or traction control, they seem to lose the skills.

Offline CADMAN97

• 2010 C14 ABS
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2013, 10:34:40 AM »
I think abs & traction control are one of thoe things you personally have to experience to become a believer. Since most of us have been riding bikes without all the fancy electronics for many years its easy to tell yourself you don't need it. The first time ABS or TC saves your butt is when you tell yourself you'll never own a bike without it.

I've def engaged ABS before & have purposefully tested TC, & hell yeah they work great, & now I def prefer my bikes to have em. Can live w/out the linked brakes tho...unless Kaw fixes it (like Hondas)
1998 Honda Magna--->Sold | 2003 Yamaha FZ1--->Sold | 2003 Honda VFR800--->Sold | 2010 Honda VFR1200--->Sold | Kawasaki C14--->SOLD | 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000--->Current | 2014 Yamaha FJR 1300ES--->Current

Offline PH14

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2013, 11:13:16 AM »
I think abs & traction control are one of thoe things you personally have to experience to become a believer. Since most of us have been riding bikes without all the fancy electronics for many years its easy to tell yourself you don't need it. The first time ABS or TC saves your butt is when you tell yourself you'll never own a bike without it.

I've def engaged ABS before & have purposefully tested TC, & hell yeah they work great, & now I def prefer my bikes to have em. Can live w/out the linked brakes tho...unless Kaw fixes it (like Hondas)

I never said they were bad, I just said that many people today have lost necessary skills because they rely on ABS and traction control. They simply grab the brake and pray with no regard for proper braking.

I hear so many people say that TC or ABS saved their butt. I hear some of the same people say it has saved their butt more than once. I say, if it saved your butt more than once, most likely you are not braking properly, or using your throttle properly. It tells me that if you were riding a bike without ABS or TC, you would have crashed more than once. So in other words, they have lost throttle control and braking skills.

That being said, the proper way to brake with ABS is to squeeze and let the ABS do the work. So, if you do that, most likely you will engage ABS, but that doesn't mean it saved your butt, had you been on a bike without ABS, you probably wouldn't have simply squeezed and prayed, you would have modulated the brake properly, and also not have wrecked. The same with TC. If you are hamfisted and slam the throttle open, and TC kicks in, you may say that TC saved you butt. If you didn't have TC, most likely you would have been more smooth with the throttle control and not had a problem.

I rode on the gravel without issue. Why? Because I used good throttle control, and good braking skills. I didn't skid, and didn't skid and didn't spin the tire. So how would TC or ABS help in that situation? It wouldn't. Now if I were unskilled and simply grabbed the brake, then ABS would kick in. Likewise if I didn't control the throttle properly, TC would kick in.

ABS is amazing. It is fantastic in a panic situation on slick surfaces, especially for those who don't practice. It doesn't save your butt often as I hear so many times. I prefer simplicity. What happens if the ABS fails? It can happen. Not a big deal on a car, but on a bike it is. Likely? probably not, but possible. I prefer a choice. Now had Kawasaki implemented ABS without the idiotic linked brakes, I very well may have bought a newer model with ABS. I hate linked brakes on a sport bike though, it makes trail braking difficult and potentially dangerous.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2013, 11:25:31 AM »
I never said they were bad, I just said that many people today have lost necessary skills because they rely on ABS and traction control. They simply grab the brake and pray with no regard for proper braking.

I've never had time to pray in those situations.... :'(   Only time to say 'Oh  :censored: '!

Offline pistole

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2013, 12:42:21 PM »
I hear so many people say that TC or ABS saved their butt. I hear some of the same people say it has saved their butt more than once. I say, if it saved your butt more than once, most likely you are not braking properly, or using your throttle properly. It tells me that if you were riding a bike without ABS or TC, you would have crashed more than once. So in other words, they have lost throttle control and braking skills

- instead of listening to the likes of you , I actually googled it and no surprises :

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/geared/your_driving_skills/staying_safe/abs_motorcycle.html

"Therefore it is important to be aware that when it comes to buying a motorcycle the decision to buy an ABS bike could be the difference between life and death."

http://www.bikesafer.com/abs.html

"ABS: worth the price. We have little doubt that, except for true experts, operating in perfect conditions, most riders in ambient conditions will perform much better in emergency stopping with ABS"

http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/pedbimot/motorcycle/00-nht-212-motorcycle/motorcycle45-46.html

"The accumulation of evidence looks like ABS does work on bikes, and that it probably saves lives."

http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/pedbimot/motorcycle/00-nht-212-motorcycle/motorcycle45-46.html