Author Topic: cat repellent?  (Read 6130 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: cat repellent?
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2013, 04:39:10 AM »
It won't learn anything.  It WILL be blinded and most likely suffer chemical burns to its mouth and ears.  There is not reason to torture the poor thing.  It is only doing what nature has made it do.  Anyone who preaches harming it just to make it suffer is just wrong.  And might find themselves up for charges of animal cruelty if found out.

+1!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2013, 09:47:17 AM »
Folks who let their animals run free throughout the neighborhood causing damage or inflicting harm on other pets or property are irresponsible, of course its not the animals fault, its the owners, nothing is going to change, of course feral animals are something different altogether. So instead of trying to repel it or going to the owner to try to reason with them, which, BTW, never happens in my experience, there is only one solution. Wild animals are just that wild, pets are kept by humans and should be controlled to prevent this very thing from happening. I should not have to as a property owner need to repel other peoples pets from my property. This is something many simply do not understand. The days of going to a neighbor and talking to them in a reasonable way are long past, because people are not reasonable anymore. I don't want to torture the animal, and I don't want to try to teach it a lesson, I simply want it to go away. That's not going to happen with methods previously used in the past. I don't like it but its simply the way things are now. I'm not going to sit here and think this is a popular opinion held by most here, its not, that's ok, I've never worried about what folks think about what I say or do and I'm not going to start. I respect their opinion and ways of dealing with a problem, but I have come to the conclusion that my way works best on my property based on my experiences. Again, not popular in this politically correct world, but it works for me. Sorry if it offends others, not my intention. BTW, I grew up with dogs and never had a problem with my neighbors.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2013, 10:10:21 PM »
It won't learn anything.  It WILL be blinded and most likely suffer chemical burns to its mouth and ears.  There is not reason to torture the poor thing.  It is only doing what nature has made it do.  Anyone who preaches harming it just to make it suffer is just wrong.  And might find themselves up for charges of animal cruelty if found out.

AR15 then?
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Snibbor

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2013, 10:38:35 PM »
If you do manage to catch the little fellow, you can always use this cat carrier to bring him home to his proud owners:

http://www.thingiverse.com/image:87124

;D

Every once in a while I 'catch' a neighbor's cat in my garage. I know this because the thing that runs out of the garage in the morning, going just under the speed of light, looks a lot like a cat would if it could run that fast. I think the cats meanders into the garage when I leave the garage door open and then gets stuck when I remotely shut the door at night. No damage anywhere in the garage that I know of but the cat certainly seems to be in a hurry to be somewhere else. It cannot learn though 'cause I have caught it at least 5-6 times so far....

Brian

I don't care who you are, that's funny right there ;D

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2013, 02:34:21 PM »
2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2013, 05:23:08 PM »
Wow, articulate, sensible post- are you sure you want this lying around where others can see it?  ;D

I believe you are correct regarding dogs but maybe not so much with cats. It is tough to corral cats, at least some cats, even though they may be 'inside only' cats. The little rascals sneak outside and are tough to control in that regard. And let's face it, the amount of damage done by loose cats pales compared with what often happens with loose dogs. Please understand, I am not saying you are wrong or that it does not apply to cats, just that in a practical sense it is much more applicable with dogs than cats.

I am more of a dog guy myself and even have had large dogs get loose on occasion. My dogs (never more than one at a time) have always been inside dogs and they only go out on a run in my yard.... except when a visitor opens the door and the dog bolts through it at 40 MPH. I know the normal response is to train the dog, and usually that has worked but I did have one dog that simply could not be stopped from running off and getting into dog trouble. He was not vicious and would not bite but of course he did splash through the nearby pond, tromp through everyone's yard and I assume left the occasional 'present' in someone's yard.

Back to the OP- best of luck keeping the cat at bay. I hope it works out so that you can fend it off without being too hard on the cat- not really a fan of abusing anything that walks or crawls myself but I do understand there are limits to what is tolerated.

Brian

Folks who let their animals run free throughout the neighborhood causing damage or inflicting harm on other pets or property are irresponsible, of course its not the animals fault, its the owners, nothing is going to change, of course feral animals are something different altogether. So instead of trying to repel it or going to the owner to try to reason with them, which, BTW, never happens in my experience, there is only one solution. Wild animals are just that wild, pets are kept by humans and should be controlled to prevent this very thing from happening. I should not have to as a property owner need to repel other peoples pets from my property. This is something many simply do not understand. The days of going to a neighbor and talking to them in a reasonable way are long past, because people are not reasonable anymore. I don't want to torture the animal, and I don't want to try to teach it a lesson, I simply want it to go away. That's not going to happen with methods previously used in the past. I don't like it but its simply the way things are now. I'm not going to sit here and think this is a popular opinion held by most here, its not, that's ok, I've never worried about what folks think about what I say or do and I'm not going to start. I respect their opinion and ways of dealing with a problem, but I have come to the conclusion that my way works best on my property based on my experiences. Again, not popular in this politically correct world, but it works for me. Sorry if it offends others, not my intention. BTW, I grew up with dogs and never had a problem with my neighbors.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2013, 03:40:47 PM »
BDF. After I posted it I thought maybe it was a bit harsh for some, I know, I know, refer to me not caring. Naw, I don't worry much if someone sees it, I take responsibility for my actions, sadly, many pet owners do not. And I agree cats are tough to deal with.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50