Author Topic: Thinking about starting smoking again  (Read 6431 times)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Thinking about starting smoking again
« on: August 05, 2013, 11:46:44 AM »
All of my early street bikes were smokers and then I got the Moto Cross bug and they were smokers too. Lately I've been thinking about getting a street legal smoker more and more. I know there is a lot of renewed interest in the Kawasaki H1 and H2s, but that has only driven the price up. I'm not looking for a project bike, although I'm willing to do some work, I'd much prefer one that is running. My favorite 2 stroke was the other GTR in my life, the Bridgestone 350 GTR (which I traded for a Husky 250  when the racing bug hit me :-[ ::)) it really was a slick design, it just needed that rear tire size increased to a 4 inch tire. I wouldn't mind getting one of those, but alas, they too are rare and expensive in running state. So right now I'm thinking that the Suzuki 550 GT triple or the Suzuki 750 GT triple are what I should be keeping an eye out for. Since they were never considered the sexy smokers (the 750 was called the water buffalo), the prices seem to be more reasonable. They also had disk brakes available some years and electric start, both good things. The Suzuki GT500 might be an option as well, although I don't think it was ever available with electric start. The Suzuki 250 Hustler seems plentiful and cheap, but I don't really want anything smaller than a 350, it's gotta have some get up and go. I have a Honda Trail 125 for when I want to just putt around. I had a Suzuki 550 GT loaner for about 6 months and I thought it was a very nice ride, but too heavy. Now that I have a C14 the idea of a 550 GT being too heavy seems funny. I'm going to be watching the market a while and waiting for a really good deal. This last goes against my nature when it comes to bike purchases, but I'm determined this time to have patience.

Your thoughts?.....Should I be considering some other model 2 strokes as well?  If so, what models?

added pictures just because even the most boring posts are twice as interesting with pictures

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
Re: Thinking about starting smoking again
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 12:27:56 PM »
My all time favorite is the RZ350. I thought about getting another one a while back and went and looked at one that was for sale. After sitting on it and taking it for a ride around the block I thought to myself this thing is way to small for me. I blame it on the C14...

I painted mine Ferrari red when I was a kid.  ;D

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 01:21:35 PM »
Thanks Gumby I'll add that one to my list, looks like it might be a little too rare to get at a good price however.
I'll keep an eye out for one anyway. You did good well with the paint choice.  :thumbs:

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 02:54:55 PM »
Get a Suzuki RG500 FM, I always loved those, freakin wheelie machines in any gear!  :thumbs:

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 07:00:34 PM »
I finally pulled the trigger. I decided that since smokers seem to loose a lot of power once they get hot, perhaps liquid cooled was best for Texas.
I couldn't find a decent one around here (of course) so off to just east of Conrad country in the middle of winter to get one I go. If a trip doesn't make sense
then it must be an adventure? I went to the library for a couple of books on CD, then picked up some driving snacks, a bag of cold weather
survival gear just in case, hooked up the trailer and hit the road.  Stayed up there about a week shoveling snow and eating Chicago Pizza
and then headed back home just after the last snow finished and just beat the next one moving through SE. Oklahoma by a few hours. Buying a
38 year old bike is one thing, but going up north in the winter to do it is just...... :loco: :nuts:

« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 12:21:18 AM by fartymarty »

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 08:14:02 PM »
Sweet FM, grats brother!!  :thumbs: :thumbs: :chugbeer:

How many miles on her and how much did you get it for?

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 08:24:17 PM »
Fond memories of two-strokes, Bridgestone GTR350, Yamaha R5 and RD350. Great sound, lots of power, light weight, find handling.

Also ignition points, anemic little coils, fouled plugs. The solution at the time was to replace the dinky little coils with a standard automotive coil/ballast resistor setup, heaven.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 12:19:14 AM »
Sweet FM, grats brother!!  :thumbs: :thumbs: :chugbeer:

How many miles on her and how much did you get it for?

13,000+* miles and probably too much $, but we came to an agreement before the work on it was finished
and I wanted him to be happy with the deal while he still had work to do on it. I had looked at some
real clunkers before this one and so my eagerness to get this one may have hurt me some. The seller
has a pretty good reputation in the 2 stroke world, so I paid a little for that as well. I'll admit that I'm
not the shrewdest wheeler dealer, but I sure saw a lot of junk for sale in the search and it was starting
to give me pause about the whole idea when this one showed up.

*Bike has had at least 3 previous owners and probably more, so there is no guarantee that it's the original
speedometer/odometer.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 04:41:49 AM »
13,000+* miles and probably too much $, but we came to an agreement before the work on it was finished
and I wanted him to be happy with the deal while he still had work to do on it. I had looked at some
real clunkers before this one and so my eagerness to get this one may have hurt me some. The seller
has a pretty good reputation in the 2 stroke world, so I paid a little for that as well. I'll admit that I'm
not the shrewdest wheeler dealer, but I sure saw a lot of junk for sale in the search and it was starting
to give me pause about the whole idea when this one showed up.

*Bike has had at least 3 previous owners and probably more, so there is no guarantee that it's the original
speedometer/odometer.

Nice! Just east of me? Where was ya?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 04:57:16 AM »
I had to smokers. One was a Harley Rapido.the other was a 72 Suzuki T350R. Wished I would have kept them both.   
 :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 10:22:22 AM »
Nice! Just east of me? Where was ya?

Well, "just east" of ya was relative to the distance I traveled from Texas. You probably would consider
Libertyville IL. (where the bike's PO was) and Chicago (where I stayed) it bit farther than "just" east, but I'm
sure the snow looked familiar enough to be considered Conrad Landish? If I was closer I would have
looked you up so we could hoist just one to the Da Bears next season's success.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 10:30:50 AM »
I quit smoking back in 81.  The urge to start again is getting to me.  If/when I start again I will be going filterless and will be going with this brand. http://www.ktm.com/us/enduro/300-xc-w-usa/highlights.html#.UvkMF6-YYkg Unlike some, I just can't smoke in public ;)  I would rather be out hugging trees, er, avoiding trees ;D

Offline Conrad

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 10:47:18 AM »
Well, "just east" of ya was relative to the distance I traveled from Texas. You probably would consider
Libertyville IL. (where the bike's PO was) and Chicago (where I stayed) it bit farther than "just" east, but I'm
sure the snow looked familiar enough to be considered Conrad Landish? If I was closer I would have
looked you up so we could hoist just one to the Da Bears next season's success.

Less than an hour away but, yeah, maybe a bit more than 'just east'. Maybe next time!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 05:53:58 PM »
wow congrats!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine