Author Topic: What tires to get?  (Read 66405 times)

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
Re: What tires to get?
« Reply #120 on: July 26, 2015, 12:55:13 PM »
Almost done burning through yet another front tire.  Less than 3000 miles.  Again.

The C14 is a HEAVY bike to be sure.

2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline PH14

« Reply #121 on: July 26, 2015, 01:16:13 PM »
Almost done burning through yet another front tire.  Less than 3000 miles.  Again.

The C14 is a HEAVY bike to be sure.

What air pressure do you run? I can't imagine that. I have 1500 on my new PR4GTs and they look new.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #122 on: July 26, 2015, 04:20:28 PM »
You do not think those stoppies he does come without a price, do you?

;D

Brian

What air pressure do you run? I can't imagine that. I have 1500 on my new PR4GTs and they look new.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline PH14

« Reply #123 on: July 26, 2015, 06:49:50 PM »
You do not think those stoppies he does come without a price, do you?

;D

Brian

:thumbs:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #124 on: July 26, 2015, 07:14:50 PM »
In the PR4 / Angel - Would the GT variant be the correct choice?  Mostly just me on the bike without much luggage.  I have a bit of a hard time thinking of this bike as a "heavy" tourer.

If I understand correctly, the GT was designed specifically for bikes like ours.  And they are used stock on the BMW ST now, which is no heavier.  I always ride alone and bought the PR4GT.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #125 on: July 26, 2015, 07:57:26 PM »
Im sure this has been discussed over the last 5 years but whats the general consensus?
I only care about longevity and wet weather. I sit on the freeway for 80 miles/day and don't ride for fun.
What tires y'all use? What's the deal with going to 55? Has anyone tried a 180?

Thanks!

Car tire will give you the best interstate ride and wear, as well as the best wet weather traction.

I used to have my car tire on a Pontiac Solstice, but recently changed to a Nissan frontier.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #126 on: July 26, 2015, 09:08:26 PM »
If I understand correctly, the GT was designed specifically for bikes like ours.  And they are used stock on the BMW ST now, which is no heavier.  I always ride alone and bought the PR4GT.

Correct, but only use the pr4 gt tire when a second best tire is unacceptable  ;)
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #127 on: July 26, 2015, 09:42:46 PM »
The dealer in Sacremento, Ca. coaxed me into buying PR4's instead of the of the GT variant, because he said the ride would be too harsh if riding alone. He claims the GT model was made primarily for 2 up riding and heavy loads and has very stiff sidewalls to accomplish those conditions. I'm loving the PR4's so far- they perform like PR2's and have a distinctive rain pattern for the rear tire.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #128 on: July 27, 2015, 03:31:16 AM »
Car tire will give you the best interstate ride and wear, as well as the best wet weather traction.

I used to have my car tire on a Pontiac Solstice, but recently changed to a Nissan frontier.
How did you get that Frontier mounted on the Solstice?

Offline PH14

« Reply #129 on: July 27, 2015, 11:02:01 AM »
The dealer in Sacremento, Ca. coaxed me into buying PR4's instead of the of the GT variant, because he said the ride would be too harsh if riding alone. He claims the GT model was made primarily for 2 up riding and heavy loads and has very stiff sidewalls to accomplish those conditions. I'm loving the PR4's so far- they perform like PR2's and have a distinctive rain pattern for the rear tire.

Mine rides fine one up with the PR4GT. BTW, I weight about 160lbs and the ride is just fine on the new PR4GTs. Usually when a dealer makes a baseless claim like that they either A: Don't have the tire in stock and want to sell you what they have. B: Are able to make more money on the tire they are pushing. C: Have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. of D: All of the above.

Offline Gigantor

• I often regretted my speech, but never my silence.
« Reply #130 on: July 27, 2015, 11:08:23 AM »

+2 on the PR4

Members are still riding on PR2 and PR3

2014 Concours 14 ABS Metallic Spark Black
 Xpel Custom Bra kit, SOCALMOTOGEAR HID system, Philip Luggage Rack, Projekt D Radiator Guard, Carbon Fiber Rear Hugger, Mini Euro Sport Shield, Kaw Tour Seat, HF80/2 Horn, RG Frame Sliders, PR4

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #131 on: July 27, 2015, 05:59:57 PM »
So far, I am very happy with the PR4GT.  Tire rain performance is really amazing, too.

Just finished 1745kms in the Rockies at at least 1000 of them were in the rain, not one slip or slide. They hold this beast to the road and I never lost any thought to safety. Very heavy rain( 1"-1 1/2" deep in a few spots) on incline and decline of the pass heading to Castlegar.

Offline angelo

• Some Ride Reports
« Reply #132 on: July 27, 2015, 08:02:10 PM »

So the PR4GT is made for heavier bikes - like the BMW RT specifically mentioned in some literature I saw somewhere.  That bike is a lot lighter than ours - say something like 70 lbs.  Me one up on the connie (220 lbs) may easily weigh as much as two lighter folks on the RT (290 lbs total).  Point I'm trying to make is that there is nothing wrong with using the GT one up on this bike.  And, I am betting, nothing wrong with using the non GT version two up on a connie (my wife is light!) too. 

You pays your money and takes your chances.  Perhaps, side by side, one may be able to tell the stiffness difference - but don't know if that is true.  I went GT just cause.  Would not feel bad one bit if only a non GT were available next time ....

sailor_chic

« Reply #133 on: July 28, 2015, 04:39:39 AM »
The question is why not get the better tire (GT)? As Rubberdown wrote, I had recent similar rain experience. I rode 6400 miles in 18 days, and 1000 of those miles was in rain. Never a slip or slide out of these tires. They are an integral part of the confidence inspiring traits this machine has

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #134 on: July 28, 2015, 01:14:37 PM »
I have not tried either PR4 but I have tried both regular and GT versions of the T30. I could not tell any difference in ride quality or grip or handling. However the GT was much harder to mount than the regular. I was able to mount the regular T30 with my NOMAR equipment but I could not mount the GT with NOMAR. I have decided not to use GT tires for my own safety, I am actually afraid I may hurt myself trying to mount them.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #135 on: July 28, 2015, 01:21:43 PM »
Gee Bob, you do realize you could substitute, for example, "female lion" everywhere you used the words 'GT' and 'mount' and it would make your whole post much more amusing....?

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Brian

I have not tried either PR4 but I have tried both regular and GT versions of the T30. I could not tell any difference in ride quality or grip or handling. However the GT was much harder to mount than the regular. I was able to mount the regular T30 with my NOMAR equipment but I could not mount the GT with NOMAR. I have decided not to use GT tires for my own safety, I am actually afraid I may hurt myself trying to mount them.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #136 on: July 28, 2015, 01:28:12 PM »
Just my opinion but I do not really think the GT is the 'better' tire. At least in the Pirelli series, the GT is stiffer (Easy Girls!) and apparently has harder rubber (Girls!), and both of those things cut two ways; the stiffer tire will not grip as well and will yield a harsher ride. The harder tire compound will yield less adhesion ,which is never a good thing with tires regarding performance although it will yield more tire mileage usually. I did try one set of the stiffer (!!) tires but did not care for them and I really do not think they are safer, in my opinion of course.

Brian

Edited to specify Pirelli tires.

The question is why not get the better tire (GT)? As Rubberdown wrote, I had recent similar rain experience. I rode 6400 miles in 18 days, and 1000 of those miles was in rain. Never a slip or slide out of these tires. They are an integral part of the confidence inspiring traits this machine has
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 03:30:41 PM by B.D.F. »

Offline Gigantor

• I often regretted my speech, but never my silence.
« Reply #137 on: July 28, 2015, 02:27:03 PM »
Just my opinion but I do not really think the GT is the 'better' tire. It is stiffer (Easy Girls!) and apparently has harder rubber (Girls!), and both of those things cut two ways; the stiffer tire will not grip as well and will yield a harsher ride. The harder tire compound will yield less adhesion ,which is never a good thing with tires regarding performance although it will yield more tire mileage usually. I did try one set of the stiffer (!!) tires but did not care for them and I really do not think they are safer, in my opinion of course.

Brian

I concur

2014 Concours 14 ABS Metallic Spark Black
 Xpel Custom Bra kit, SOCALMOTOGEAR HID system, Philip Luggage Rack, Projekt D Radiator Guard, Carbon Fiber Rear Hugger, Mini Euro Sport Shield, Kaw Tour Seat, HF80/2 Horn, RG Frame Sliders, PR4

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #138 on: July 28, 2015, 02:36:48 PM »
Just my opinion but I do not really think the GT is the 'better' tire. It is stiffer (Easy Girls!) and apparently has harder rubber (Girls!), and both of those things cut two ways; the stiffer tire will not grip as well and will yield a harsher ride. The harder tire compound will yield less adhesion ,which is never a good thing with tires regarding performance although it will yield more tire mileage usually. I did try one set of the stiffer (!!) tires but did not care for them and I really do not think they are safer, in my opinion of course.

Brian

I thought the sidewalls were stiffer, not that it was a harder compound.

Offline angelo

• Some Ride Reports
« Reply #139 on: July 28, 2015, 02:50:30 PM »
I thought the sidewalls were stiffer, not that it was a harder compound.

You are correct in my recollection of the Michelin literature.