Author Topic: What tires to get?  (Read 66393 times)

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
Re: What tires to get?
« Reply #80 on: May 08, 2015, 12:19:51 PM »
I haven't tried the American Elite either...but it will CERTAINLY fit.

saxman
2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2015, 12:36:55 PM »
I haven't tried the American Elite either...but it will CERTAINLY fit.
saxman

While fitment is certainly important,  that doesn't mean it's good tire. Then again, there are Ford guys, Chevy guys and Peugeot guys.  ::)
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Ghost Rider 2

« Reply #82 on: May 08, 2015, 05:26:40 PM »
 Well I am going to report on my Road Attack 2 tires.  I rode to work this morning and forcast said rain during the day over by later afternoon.  WRONG.  I poured all afternoon. Still raining when I left to ride home. 30 mile ride and I must say I have never riden on a better set of tires in the rain.  Riding on the rise of the road on right down the middle of the water made no difference. I can up a 4 lane road at 70 and was solid as could be.  I have riden goldwings 250,000 plus miles and never felt this secure riding in the rain. My first 08 Concours was good on PR2 tires but nothing like it was today.  I am a very happy customer.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #83 on: May 08, 2015, 05:58:17 PM »
Thanks for the report.  I have looked at RA2's a few times and always passed on them- no real reason other than the known quantity of Michelin. And let's be honest, RA2's have the way- coolest tread pattern ever, which is very important when leaving motorcycle tracks on the beach....

Brian

Well I am going to report on my Road Attack 2 tires.  I rode to work this morning and forcast said rain during the day over by later afternoon.  WRONG.  I poured all afternoon. Still raining when I left to ride home. 30 mile ride and I must say I have never riden on a better set of tires in the rain.  Riding on the rise of the road on right down the middle of the water made no difference. I can up a 4 lane road at 70 and was solid as could be.  I have riden goldwings 250,000 plus miles and never felt this secure riding in the rain. My first 08 Concours was good on PR2 tires but nothing like it was today.  I am a very happy customer.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Riverszzr

• Lloyd's Motorcycle Performance Center
« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2015, 01:11:48 PM »
looking at the link to Dunlop that was sent:
http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tire-catalog/harley-davidson/american-elite/american-elite/

if you look at the 200/55 17 rear, it is a, and i Quote"   200/55R17" R stands for Radial, one of the only radials of this model.
now i ask again, how about putting it on my Connie

If you ride your bike like a Harley---I suppose a Harley tire will do.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2015, 01:14:55 PM »
Some folks even use car tires or so I hear. Supposed to get really good mileage out of it.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2015, 02:44:23 PM »
Yep, a car tire mounted (Easy Boys!) the right way on the back, and a rear cruiser tire mounted backwards on the front and the bike is good for 10's of thousands of miles. Not so important today as we have long- wearing motorcycle tires but back in the olden' days, that was the only way to make it across the US and back without stopping to change tires.

Brian

Some folks even use car tires or so I hear. Supposed to get really good mileage out of it.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #87 on: May 09, 2015, 03:25:44 PM »
It would be good to get 40,000 miles or more out of a motorcycle tire. I don't see it happening any time soon, but it would be nice. If I can get 10k out of the PR4 GTs I've got, I will be pleased.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Ghost Rider 2

« Reply #88 on: May 09, 2015, 04:13:56 PM »
Lot of Goldwing riders use car tire rears.  It not for me.  But I have riden with a few of them and the tires hold those bikes well.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #89 on: May 09, 2015, 04:34:20 PM »

:yikes:

If you ride your bike like a Harley---I suppose a Harley tire will do.

:yikes: :yikes:

Yep, a car tire mounted (Easy Boys!) the right way on the back, and a rear cruiser tire mounted backwards on the front and the bike is good for 10's of thousands of miles. Not so important today as we have long- wearing motorcycle tires but back in the olden' days, that was the only way to make it across the US and back without stopping to change tires.

Brian

:yikes: :yikes: :yikes:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline leisyman

« Reply #90 on: May 09, 2015, 07:57:39 PM »
Scuze Me?
Enough of the criticism and bashing for me, just trying to find out real information. apparently no one is interested in meaningful dialog.
i'm out

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #91 on: May 09, 2015, 08:13:33 PM »
Scuze Me?
Enough of the criticism and bashing for me, just trying to find out real information. apparently no one is interested in meaningful dialog.
i'm out
It was apparent that no one had tried the tire in your question so no meaningful dialog was possible.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #92 on: May 09, 2015, 08:49:50 PM »
Scuze Me?
i'm out

You expect a serious dialog with a question on a tire that's designed for an HD on a C14 forum?  You might as well be asking about a car tire here.  Gary had the best answer.  Try it and let us know, we'll still laugh at you, though.  But that's what we do here, we laugh at each other.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

voileauciel

« Reply #93 on: May 09, 2015, 11:48:55 PM »
Can't say enough good things about Angel GTs. This is the only tyre I run on this bike, since 4k miles. Bike has almost 42k now and last 3 sets got 10-11k each, in stock size with an A Spec in the rear. No interest in the 55 height personally, but some like it. I seem to be wearing the lettering off the sides before the middle goes bald. Next set should be just in time for new pegs.  8)

Offline Gigantor

• I often regretted my speech, but never my silence.
« Reply #94 on: May 11, 2015, 05:30:26 AM »
Angel GT with 5000 miles (Not my bike)

2014 Concours 14 ABS Metallic Spark Black
 Xpel Custom Bra kit, SOCALMOTOGEAR HID system, Philip Luggage Rack, Projekt D Radiator Guard, Carbon Fiber Rear Hugger, Mini Euro Sport Shield, Kaw Tour Seat, HF80/2 Horn, RG Frame Sliders, PR4

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #95 on: May 11, 2015, 07:54:41 AM »
IMO, its a daggum fool that lets a tire get that bald. Irresponsible to themselves and everyone around them.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #96 on: May 11, 2015, 08:07:57 AM »
Car tire for the win
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Bike Habit

« Reply #97 on: May 11, 2015, 11:00:35 AM »
I just fit a set of Michelin Pilot Road 4 GTs in the stock sizes. It's dramatically different than the roached Dunlop Road Smarts that were on it when I bought it! I hope to get decent mileage out of them, but I am of twisting on the happy handle quite a bit, so we will see!
Ban Owners, not Breeds! American Pit Bull Terriers are Great Family Pets!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #98 on: May 11, 2015, 04:31:27 PM »
IMO, its a daggum fool that lets a tire get that bald. Irresponsible to themselves and everyone around them.

That is just plain scary.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #99 on: May 11, 2015, 06:22:39 PM »
Is this turning into a CAR TIRE thread?  How about some Rotella T6 truck oil????

I know some guys that run CTs...and "rear only" tires on the front.  But forward, not backward.

Just sayin.

saxman

2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!