Author Topic: Blackout during riding  (Read 17538 times)

Offline Cuda

Re: Blackout during riding
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2013, 03:26:27 PM »
Drinking to Blackout.... need to join AA

I was having problems with a Deutz diesel powered machine , It did not turn over fast , diesels need to spin fast to start  everytime our temps got to 60 or below it got real s l o w  found  out it was a bad conection inside the conector  , had a auto electrical shop put a new end on the large wire ZIPPITY DO DAH.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 07:57:32 PM by Cuda »
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline texrider

« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2013, 04:53:28 PM »
Well, I am riding for last couple of days without any problems.
I checked the battery connections, ground connections, ECU connections and all is solid tight and no loose screws or connections.
I tried the kill switch during riding and , yes, the power was still on, only engine died.
I wonder if that blackout would leave any trace in the ECU for service guy to check in the computer as a fault ?
Since it was one time occurrence and all looks running OK, now, I guess that it would be of no use to take bike to service man, except if there could be a fault recorded somewhere in the ECU.

Sorry if the title of the topic was confusing, but running 70+ mph during night outside town while overtaking car and suddenly all goes black is a hell of the experience and potentially RIP situation. :(

Thanks everybody for your thoughts and advices.  :thumbs:

If you found nothing external to the battery, there is likely an intermittent internal fault with it. I'd get another battery in the bike, before any further riding.
2014 Valkyrie

Offline PH14

« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2013, 05:37:26 PM »
I checked the battery connections, ground connections, ECU connections and all is solid tight and no loose screws or connections.
I tried the kill switch during riding and , yes, the power was still on, only engine died.
I wonder if that blackout would leave any trace in the ECU for service guy to check in the computer as a fault ?
Since it was one time occurrence and all looks running OK, now, I guess that it would be of no use to take bike to service man, except if there could be a fault recorded somewhere in the ECU.

Sorry if the title of the topic was confusing, but running 70+ mph during night outside town while overtaking car and suddenly all goes black is a hell of the experience and potentially RIP situation. :(

It is a bad ground wire somewhere, keep looking.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2013, 05:44:32 PM »
Either that or replace the battery. ::)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rafdog

« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2013, 06:47:26 PM »
Rafdog,  What year/model are you driving?

I have a 2012 C14.  Mine blacked out completely. Clutch was still engaged. I disengaged clutch, let her coast for a bit. I saw the LCD display come back to life and I re-engaged the clutch and the engine fired back up.

Offline BudCallaghan

• Rider proficiency determines worth of horsepower
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2013, 07:59:06 PM »
Since the negative battery cable is solidly connected at both ends then the culprit is most assuredly within the battery.  Granted, it only happened once but you sure as hell don't want it to ever happen again.  The battery may last another five years and not do it again, but your ass is on the line and I wouldn't bet it on that particular battery.  Spend the money on a new battery and enjoy the peace of mind you'll be able to enjoy.
Refer to my previous post for an explanation of my reasoning behind this one.
Never let schooling interfere with your education or your ambition.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2013, 04:28:21 AM »

When you say that you checked all the connections does that mean that you disconnected them and cleaned them really well then connected it back up or that you just looked at them?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline dras

• Arena
  • The Invisible Man
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2013, 08:22:15 PM »
While I have not seen this on my C14, I did have the exact same thing happen on a Kawi ZX6 some years ago. Turned out to be the battery was on it's last legs. Replaced battery and never had another problem with it.
Never get too busy making a living that you forget to make a life.

Offline tonedeaf

« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2013, 08:29:59 PM »
I am going to have to support the main ground failure idea. Nothing else could cause black out and engine failure of such a temporary nature. I am also going to endorse the idea of the failure being internal to the battery where you cannot see any problem. Here is a situation that took place recently that lends credence to this conjecture:

A guy I ride with has one of the fancy new BMW RRs (astonishing motorcycle). It started cutting out intermittently:

1. He took it to the BMW dealer, dealer said it was fixed and charged him a bunch of money because they couldn't find a warrantable problem.
2. He rode it, the bike still cut out.
3. Took it back to the BMW dealer, dealer said it was fixed and charged him some more money.
4. A friend rode it and it still cut out.
5. Took it back the the BMW dealer. Dealer said they couldn't figure out what was wrong and bumped the problem up to the BMW engineers.
6. My friend went back to check on the bike about a week later. It was in the weeds and nothing had been done.
7. My friend went home and brought back his trailer to take it home (but not before they charged him some more money).
8. The problem behaved just like a clogged fuel filter or collapsed breather tube so my friend began carefully disassembling the bike and searching for problems with the fuel system.
9. In the processed he noticed the the ground lug on the battery was loose (loose within the case, not just a loose cable connection).
10. He went back the the BMW dealer to get a new battery. They didn't have one but would order one and it would cost my freind a bunch of money.
11. He bought one from an aftermarket dealer, installed it and everything has worked fine since (except for his wallet, which is about a couple of grand lighter).

Offline pistole

« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2013, 09:20:00 PM »
I am going to have to support the main ground failure idea. Nothing else could cause black out and engine failure of such a temporary nature. I am also going to endorse the idea of the failure being internal to the battery where you cannot see any problem. Here is a situation that took place recently that lends credence to this conjecture:

A guy I ride with has one of the fancy new BMW RRs (astonishing motorcycle). It started cutting out intermittently:

1. He took it to the BMW dealer, dealer said it was fixed and charged him a bunch of money because they couldn't find a warrantable problem.
2. He rode it, the bike still cut out.
3. Took it back to the BMW dealer, dealer said it was fixed and charged him some more money.
4. A friend rode it and it still cut out.
5. Took it back the the BMW dealer. Dealer said they couldn't figure out what was wrong and bumped the problem up to the BMW engineers.
6. My friend went back to check on the bike about a week later. It was in the weeds and nothing had been done.
7. My friend went home and brought back his trailer to take it home (but not before they charged him some more money).
8. The problem behaved just like a clogged fuel filter or collapsed breather tube so my friend began carefully disassembling the bike and searching for problems with the fuel system.
9. In the processed he noticed the the ground lug on the battery was loose (loose within the case, not just a loose cable connection).
10. He went back the the BMW dealer to get a new battery. They didn't have one but would order one and it would cost my freind a bunch of money.
11. He bought one from an aftermarket dealer, installed it and everything has worked fine since (except for his wallet, which is about a couple of grand lighter).

- bmw is the best !!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2013, 06:15:35 AM »
 :yikes: Not on this forum!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2013, 05:47:44 PM »
:yikes: Not on this forum!

He was being sarcastic!

They are indeed the best- at overpricing and taking all your money for service!  I can't believe the audacity of that dealer.  He should have certainly demanded all his money back.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2013, 06:00:06 PM »
That would not have been proper BMW etiquette. I think one must act like money is no object.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2013, 07:56:17 PM »
He was being sarcastic!

They are indeed the best- at overpricing and taking all your money for service!  I can't believe the audacity of that dealer.  He should have certainly demanded all his money back.

And I was being serious...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2013, 09:10:01 PM »

OK, then, seriously, go mount your dern Canyon Cages...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2013, 09:30:57 PM »
Whoa there boys, lets not pick on BMW. Sure they have their quirks but they make some nice machines to go with those quirks.

Let's keep our criticism on Hardleys where it belongs....

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Brian

That would not have been proper BMW etiquette. I think one must act like money is no object.

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2013, 03:50:01 AM »
So where do we have to sign up for the mandatory sensitivity training?

Ah, found it.  :rotflmao: http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,43517.0.html
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 06:57:14 AM by gPink »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2013, 05:25:44 AM »
I'm not signing up for it.  I like me the way I am.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2013, 01:04:52 PM »
Now that right there was funny....

Brian

So where do we have to sign up for the mandatory sensitivity training?

Ah, found it.  :rotflmao: http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,43517.0.html
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2013, 01:06:23 PM »
Kirby likes you like you am too- he told me so.

Not sure if that statement should be comforting, cause queasiness or make you schedule an appointment right now....

Brian

I'm not signing up for it.  I like me the way I am.