Author Topic: Speed wobble with PR2's?  (Read 7176 times)

Offline Irish-14

Speed wobble with PR2's?
« on: June 05, 2011, 07:49:11 PM »
Ok, some of you might remember me as the idiot that hit the huge rock and blew out my rims and tires a few short weeks ago. The shop said that everything else was ok with the bike and put two new rims and new PR2's on it. This weekend I rode to Palm Desert for a bachelor party and experienced high speed wobbles on any speed over 110mph, something I'd never felt on this bike in the past. I've had the bike at 150mph without an issue on several occasions with the original Bridgestone's that come on a 2011. Not sure what the problem could be, maybe I cracked/weakend the frame, fork issue, but I thought you guys might have an idea or two. I'm not jumping to conclusions about the PR2's, just a thought. Thanks for any input, and as always, Go Irish!

Bob

Re: Speed wobble with PR2's?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 03:13:12 AM »
Did they ballance the tires? I know dumb question, but you never know!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 04:22:48 AM »
Hitting a rock that damaged the wheel could have also damaged other components such as wheel bearings, axle shaft, forks, and steering head bearings/assembly.  Any or all of those components could cause wobble.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline S.Ga.Rider

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 04:39:16 AM »
I have a pr2 front and a shinko 009 and I get a wobble in the bars over 110 also. Mine didnt do it with the stock tires either. I have rebalanced both tires and adjusted the suspension with no luck. Im going to try the 023s next time to see if it is the tires.

Offline stewart

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 05:56:50 AM »
I was riding the other day in a really strong wind and experienced a wobble at around 90mph, was going to investigate but then I hit 130mph the following day and solid as a rock.

I put it down to the wind.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 06:22:37 AM »
I have noticed that the wind has a lot to do with how the front end feels if I have my Vstream on.  When I have my cut down stock shield on the wind doesn't make any difference.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline jayke

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 06:40:24 AM »
Never had any wobble trouble with my PR2's over several sets.

But I did spin a tire on the rim once right after it was installed before the lube was dry and had to have it re-balanced.  Have them re-balance the tires as a first step.

Might have them check the tightness of the steering head bearings also.  Loose steering head bearings will cause a wobble too.

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 08:34:06 AM »
Two sets of PR2s and zero wobble.  The bike sees over 100 every time out  ;)
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline Irish-14

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 08:53:51 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll call the shop today and talk to their main tech. I'll let you know what they say/plan to do. Go Irish!

Offline vortex2

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 08:58:11 AM »
It's not the tire design. It may be a balance problem.

Offline Tom J.

• "Disciples of Displacement" charter member
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 09:05:22 AM »
Reminder to check the tire pressure.
'08 Kawasaki Concours
'98 Yamaha VMax
'84 Honda V65 Magna
'82 Honda CX500 Custom

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 11:29:18 AM »
Yes, but mine came in at about a buck and a quarter.  Heavily loaded, with GPS on a Ram bar mount on one side and a radar detector on a Ram bar mount on the other side.  Removing the trunk didn't make any significant difference.  I have come to the conclusion that it was the combination of the excess weight in the bags & on the bars that caused the problem. 

I'm still not sure if the PR2's were a contributing factor or not.  No weave w/ the oem 'stones.

The experiences were intense enough to affect mine desire for further experimentation.  The first one lasted over 30 seconds - 1 mile with the bike rocking back and forth about a foot.  The 2nd was about half that.  Makes for an interesting day.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline tthompsr

• 2009 Black Concours
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 11:42:00 AM »
I had a high speed wooble that took me a while to figure out, It went away when I changed my steering head bearings over to a tapered bearing.

Offline Dave Bogue

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 12:38:44 PM »

The experiences were intense enough to affect mine desire for further experimentation.  The first one lasted over 30 seconds - 1 mile with the bike rocking back and forth about a foot.  The 2nd was about half that.  Makes for an interesting day.

You are a brave and foolhardy man to ride 30 seconds at high speed with a handling problem.  I can tell you from experience that a slight weave at 120 mph can turn in to an uncontrollable wobble that will throw you and the bike down the road. 

I have seen 165 mph indicated on my 2009 ( no bags, 4" cut down windscreen, no flies, AreaP full, PC3) with Pilot Road 2s and the bike was rock solid. 

I do not think the problem is the tires.

Best wishes,
Dave
Bradenton Florida
Sunday rides on the best winding and scenic roads in west central Florida   
C14 ABS
SV1000
Ninja 1000

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 01:42:27 PM »
Whether I am/was brave or foolhardy is irrelevant to the discussion.   I was accelerating hard when the weave hit (in both instances), and easing out of the thottle intensified it.  It was merely a question of prayer, relaxing on the bars, staying off the brakes,  and verrrrrry gradually easing out of the throttle.  If I could have gotten out of it any quicker, I would have.  Believe me, I would have like the merry-go-round to have stopped so I could get off without dieing.  It took very minute reductions of throttle to not exacerbate the situation.  FWIW, the 2nd time was about a year after the first, not just a few minutes later. LOL

I do believe the tires played a role in the problem, but I do not believe they were "the cause".  Tire stiffness is one of many factors in a high-speed weave, but it is not the only one.

You are a brave and foolhardy man to ride 30 seconds at high speed with a handling problem.  I can tell you from experience that a slight weave at 120 mph can turn in to an uncontrollable wobble that will throw you and the bike down the road. 

I have seen 165 mph indicated on my 2009 ( no bags, 4" cut down windscreen, no flies, AreaP full, PC3) with Pilot Road 2s and the bike was rock solid. 

I do not think the problem is the tires.

Best wishes,
Dave
Bradenton Florida
Sunday rides on the best winding and scenic roads in west central Florida   
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline pb

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2011, 03:18:08 PM »
Had PR2's installed at 8500 miles.
Now at 12,500+. I don not play had those speeds often.
So it was while before I noticed it. 
Odd that it is 110 also. Was there after installed.
I noticed it after I rode a few K miles.
No speed demon but I do play now and then.
Wobble was not there till higher speeds (130's) on the brimstones.

Purchased while out of town one day.
Figured it was just not a good balance job.
I also notice some buzz at he 80+ range. That was not there before.

Next time I go that way, I will talk to the dealer and see what they say.
But imagine I will end up paying for balance at some point, having waited so long. 
Don't you hate when work keeps you from playing.  :-) Have not had the chance to go that way for months.

I have question though?
I had a corolla that had warped brake rotors.
The tires balanced fine. But at 75+ you would swear other wise.
Made me and the tire guy nuts, till I figured it out.
Did not show up until I replaced the tires.

Do the rotors on the bike have enough mass to cause this?
I checked the brake pads and rotors last night.
Both look warn of course, but nothing unusual for almost 13k pads/rotors, jumped out.
No obvious signs of warping or gouging.
Both pads and rotors appear to be warn fairly smoothly.
As best I can tell with them on the bike anyway.
They still feel smooth and even when using them also.

Paul

Offline Irish-14

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2011, 05:44:56 PM »
Actually I had more weight in the bags than I've ever had in them before, I was packed for a three day bachelor party, never thought of that. You're also right about the abrupt decel, made it worse, almost crapped my pants. Still having it go to the shop to look at the darned thing, never want to feel that again and I fully intend to travel at hyperspeed in the future...that's why I bought a 1400cc! Go Irish!

Offline Rawman

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2011, 04:00:10 PM »
I have been 0  to 149 WOT (GPS).  I have been slowly up to 149 (GPS).  Never had any wobble, vibration, or any other issues, it was rock solid.  I had the Givi V46, Bags on, VStream screen and it topped out at 149, me laying on the tank with feet on passenger pegs, little to no wind.  Long flat straightaway (no traffic anywhere in sight) on the superslab.   I need to try it with the OEM screen, no bags and no trunk.
2009 Non-ABS
VStream, PR2s, AreaP Full Exhaust, Carbon Can, PC-V, BMC Air Filter, 151 Dyno'd RWhp.
'04 Honda VTX-1300C, '01 Kawasaki ZRX-1200R, '87 Yamaha VMax, '79 Kawasaki K-1000 LTD, '77 Kawasaki KZ-1000,'80 Suzuki GS-550L

Offline Bradley14

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2011, 05:07:31 AM »
I recently had PR IIs installed and for the first time ever noticed a low speed wobble (40-50) with no hands on the bars.  I figured it was the road or fact I had all 3 bags on and loaded. I'll try different speeds/conditions to see if I can duplicate.   

Just because you're paranoid does not mean that someone is not out to get you.

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2011, 04:07:55 PM »
for whats its worth, my last pr2's shook like heck. say 40 had a bar wobble, 80-90 vibration from the rear( fixed after replacing) 100-110 from the front. not sure if balancing again would have helped, it was bad enough to not push it. i think the set before had a vibration to them also.

023 front and rear now and its like glass. not sure what to make of that.