Author Topic: Winshield won't adjust  (Read 9030 times)

Offline bhodge10

Winshield won't adjust
« on: July 18, 2013, 12:51:27 PM »
Hello,

I have an 08' and my windshield is no longer adjusting when I hit the switch. The lights will flicker/dim when I hit the switch so I believe the switch is working. I've checked the fuse and it was good. It's in the full down position and I've always been careful not to adjust it when riding at a decent speed. Is there anything else I can check before I take it to the shop? It is under warranty however it has a Cee Bailey's large windshield. Can Kawasaki deny a warranty claim since it's an aftermarket windshield? I don't have the original one to put on there before I take it to the shop.

Offline RBX QB

Re: Winshield won't adjust
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 01:02:40 PM »
If the lights dim when you hit the switch, sounds like the motor is either being bogged (blocked motor or lift mechanism) or has bought the farm.

Pull the shield and the cover and check the mechanism for anything that might be blocking the movement. If it looks clear, put the factory shield on before you head to the dealer.

Good luck.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline p07r0457

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 01:24:12 PM »
If it looks clear, put the factory shield on before you head to the dealer.

The OP was clear that he doesn't have the factory shield, hence the concern.

...I don't have the original one to put on there before I take it to the shop.

Aftermarket screens are very popular.  The dealer shouldn't dishonor the warranty unless they can demonstrate that your screen caused the failure, and that the failure wouldn't have occurred had you not changed the screen.
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Candy Diamond Red
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S - Candy Aleutian Blue and Shasta White
2017 Acura MDX SH-AWD Advance - White Diamond Pearl
2018 Infiniti QX30 Premium AWD - Majestic White

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 01:33:52 PM »

I don't read the last lines in posts.
2011 Concours 14 ABS

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 02:11:18 PM »
I don't read the last lines in posts.

Did you say something?    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 07:10:53 AM »

Aftermarket screens are very popular.  The dealer shouldn't dishonor the warranty unless they can demonstrate that your screen caused the failure, and that the failure wouldn't have occurred had you not changed the screen.

They do not need to demonstrate anything and they wouldn't be "dishonoring" anything. When you put an accessory that it's not approved by the manufacturer, the warranty is voided. You can of course expect Kawasaki to keep the warranty on the valve train if you change the shield, but not on the mechanism that holds and moves that very shield, which has been designed and tested with the OEM part. Putting back the original shield and taking the bike to Kawa with "no idea what happened, it just stopped working" face is dishonest, and if Kawa decides to step up and cover it anyway, it will be the rest of us paying for your repair. (I'm not referring just to the OP here, but to anyone endorsing this behavior)
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline p07r0457

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 09:01:34 AM »
They do not need to demonstrate anything and they wouldn't be "dishonoring" anything. When you put an accessory that it's not approved by the manufacturer, the warranty is voided. You can of course expect Kawasaki to keep the warranty on the valve train if you change the shield, but not on the mechanism that holds and moves that very shield, which has been designed and tested with the OEM part. Putting back the original shield and taking the bike to Kawa with "no idea what happened, it just stopped working" face is dishonest, and if Kawa decides to step up and cover it anyway, it will be the rest of us paying for your repair. (I'm not referring just to the OP here, but to anyone endorsing this behavior)
I'm not a lawyer...  Are you?  If you are, then I guess you're the "expert" and I'll just disagree off in my corner.  If you're not a lawyer, then I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

By your argument, Kawasaki could refuse to cover your engine if you used non Kawasaki oil or filter -- which everyone knows is false.  You must use parts that meet their specs, and if you used a Purolator automotive filter and there was an oil-related problem then you MIGHT have some explaining to do (of course I'm not aware of any such failure being reported).  However, if you use appropriate parts, and make reasonable modifications, then there should be no impact to your warranty.

Keep in mind that Kawasaki offers accessory windshields, so they cannot deny coverage simply based on the fact that the windshield was swapped.  Obviously the motor can accept the impact of a different (larger) shield.  The burden is on them to demonstrate that the failure occurred because of the aftermarket part, and that failure would not have otherwise occurred (for example, that the accessory Kawa shield would not have caused failure).  If you put a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" MDF as your shield, then they could argue weight/wind-resistance grossly exceeded the limits of the motor.  But if you use a shield of similar design/construction to what Kawa offers, then I think they'd have a difficult time saying you did anything wrong.
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Candy Diamond Red
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S - Candy Aleutian Blue and Shasta White
2017 Acura MDX SH-AWD Advance - White Diamond Pearl
2018 Infiniti QX30 Premium AWD - Majestic White

Offline bhodge10

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 10:17:24 AM »
While I would understand if Kawasaki would be concerned that the shield cause the failure, I would hope that the sheer fact that I've had this particular shield on for 3 years and also the fact that the shield is in the full down position would hopefully point to other reasons for the failure other than an aftermarket shield.

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 11:00:51 AM »
There's been other mechanism failures, but I think they were cracked mounts (which would make more sense with the whole larger shield thought). I don't recall reading about your particular failure before.
2011 Concours 14 ABS

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 01:43:29 PM »
Keep in mind that Kawasaki offers accessory windshields, so they cannot deny coverage simply based on the fact that the windshield was swapped.  Obviously the motor can accept the impact of a different (larger) shield.  The burden is on them to demonstrate that the failure occurred because of the aftermarket part, and that failure would not have otherwise occurred (for example, that the accessory Kawa shield would not have caused failure). If you put a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" MDF as your shield, then they could argue weight/wind-resistance grossly exceeded the limits of the motor.  But if you use a shield of similar design/construction to what Kawa offers, then I think they'd have a difficult time saying you did anything wrong.

have you compared the shield he says is installed, with the OEM stock one, or the slightly larger accessory Kaw sells?
Evidently not... because it IS substantially larger ::) and heavier...... ::)  more like 1" pressure treated exterior grade.... :'(

with that said, they actually CAN say it caused the problem.
Now, whether they will or not depends... if you bought the C Baily thru the dealer, and had them install it without an argument, then it's on them....and they then cannot deny, if not... open argument.

BH, not sure of where you are located, but maybe if you post and ask nicely (start another post, or change the title of this one to "CAN YOU LEND ME A WINDSHIELD FOR A DAY?" someone would lend you thiers.... I'd do it for you if you were in my neighborhood....

Putting back the original shield and taking the bike to Kawa with "no idea what happened, it just stopped working" face is dishonest, and if Kawa decides to step up and cover it anyway, it will be the rest of us paying for your repair. (I'm not referring just to the OP here, but to anyone endorsing this behavior)

sorry Martin, but the only people Paying for his repair are the people that made the bike...ok?
we ALL know that the shield should be fine, and KAW has known since we started biotching about the shield from day one it need to be re-done...so they made a bigger one...

I hate to be a party pooper, but preaching about him wanting it fixed under warranty ain't gonna get it here, we have all been here long enough to know "when it comes to getting a warranty repair, get what you can get, any way you can get it!!"

we been buying extended warranties for years now, and if we never use them, god bless him for getting his repairs.

with the way dealers deny legitimate repairs out there today, that I read about DAILY, there is no way i feel sad for them...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 02:29:41 PM »
with the way dealers deny legitimate repairs out there today, that I read about DAILY, there is no way i feel sad for them...

Ask me about my expanding plastic (stock/factory) tank on my other bike... Just kidding, please don't.
2011 Concours 14 ABS

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 03:59:29 PM »
You got one of those ethanol bladders on the duc?

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 04:12:37 PM »
You got one of those ethanol bladders on the duc?

I admit nothing.  :(
2011 Concours 14 ABS

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 04:16:12 PM »
I admit nothing.  :(
My son has an '06 Sport Classic.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 04:24:27 PM »
There's been other mechanism failures, but I think they were cracked mounts (which would make more sense with the whole larger shield thought). I don't recall reading about your particular failure before.

That's true.  Haven't heard of that one either. 

The way I look at it is that quite a few of us have bought after market screens and we haven't seen that many with the cracked mounts (a few) and haven't heard about the issue described in this thread until it was posted.  I can't believe that a shield could cause this issue.  Now with that being said, if one has a dealer that sticks up for them, it won't be an issue getting this fixed.  However, if you are like the majority who has dealers that cannot even spell C14, then there might be problems getting it covered.

I think that Rich had the best suggestion and I was actually thinking about that today believe it or not, is to get someone to switch out the shield to a Kwak version.

I've got an idea where the OP is from but I would prefer, if that's what he wants to do, to tell us or me via PM where he's located so that we can open it up to those members who want to help him out.

I've got two Kwak shields but I'm in VA and it's a bit of a hop for him to come to me.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Madcow

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2013, 09:02:05 PM »
He should take it in the way it is because the dealer will have to prove the after market windshield caused the problem under the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act.

Will using 'aftermarket' or recycled parts void my warranty?
No. An 'aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer. A 'recycled' part is a part that was made for and installed in a new vehicle by the manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer, and later removed from the vehicle and made available for resale or reuse. Simply using an aftermarket or recycled part does not void your warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket or recycled part. Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket or recycled part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage.

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0138-auto-warranties-routine-maintenance

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2013, 03:00:04 PM »
He should take it in the way it is because the dealer will have to prove the after market windshield caused the problem under the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act.Will using 'aftermarket' or recycled parts void my warranty?
No. An 'aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer. A 'recycled' part is a part that was made for and installed in a new vehicle by the manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer, and later removed from the vehicle and made available for resale or reuse. Simply using an aftermarket or recycled part does not void your warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket or recycled part.....http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0138-auto-warranties-routine-maintenance

actually the dealer doesn't have to prove doo-doo-squat.... he can open the door and say "GTFOOH"... ::)

BLAH BLAH, BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH.... ::)

that's your interpretation of the MM act.
take it to court.
this guy needs a simple solution, and all this pocket legal advice is just that.
to clarify (i just asked my wife, who IS a retired attourney...) her answer.. "if you were to replace it with a screen, of the same dimensions (including weight), and mounting, there would be no issue" , BUT.... if you stick on a 40 pound 6 ft wide shield, it doesn't cover within the letter o description of how the MM act works...

aftermarket items must be "equal" to, but also "not enhanced in a manner to be excessivly different"
the Cee Bailey falls under the "exceedingly larger" catagory...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Madcow

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2013, 03:44:19 PM »
to clarify (i just asked my wife, who IS a retired attourney...) her answer.. "if you were to replace it with a screen, of the same dimensions (including weight), and mounting, there would be no issue" , BUT.... if you stick on a 40 pound 6 ft wide shield, it doesn't cover within the letter o description of how the MM act works...
What type of attorney was she divorce or ambulance chasing injury lawyer? If she didn't deal with what's being discussed when she was an attorney then her interpretation isn't really any better than anyone else's. And the MM act doesn't say you have to use an exact copy of the OEM part when using an after market part. 
Btw you would have to be an idiot to stick on a 40 pound 6ft wide shield.

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2013, 03:55:55 PM »
Btw you would have to be an idiot to stick on a 40 pound 6ft wide shield.

Challenge accepted! Where's my drill?

Did you read the article you posted on the MM Act? It keeps using the terms "routine maintenance" and "repairs". I think that shows pretty clear intent that the act covers maintenance and repair items, not upgrades and farkles. I don't think my 40# shield will make it past that language. (sets drill down)
2011 Concours 14 ABS

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2013, 07:17:27 PM »
Actually, I posted with this same problem several months ago. I have not, however, checked it out yet to see what the issue is. I have a V-Stream with an X-Screen added. A Kawasaki shop manager told me that an aftermarket screen may very well void the warranty due to added stress on the mechanism. One of these days, I'll take the cover off and look at it. If I don't see the problem, I do still have my stock screen to swap back prior to taking it in.