Author Topic: 2012 Concours. Where is the clutch bleeder screw?  (Read 12038 times)

Offline wendel

2012 Concours. Where is the clutch bleeder screw?
« on: July 12, 2013, 10:57:11 AM »
I have tried to search and no luck. Where is the bleeder screw for the clutch on the 2012 Concours?
2012 C14

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: 2012 Concours. Where is the clutch bleeder screw?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 11:05:05 AM »
Under the lower left panel. At the top of the slave cylinder cover pointing forward.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 11:06:27 AM »
There are two bleeders; the first one is on the clutch master cylinder, pointing straight up.  The second one is on the slave cylinder which is on the left side of the engine. I believe on Gen. 2 C-14's you are going to have to remove the left fairing to get at that slave cylinder.

Bleed the top bleeder first and continue until the fluid is perfectly clear (no air bubbles or foam in the fluid). Then move onto the second bleeder and continue the same way.

Note that these bikes can be quite difficult to bleed at all, and also to finish bleeding (soft clutch or brakes that are nearly impossible to get the last of the air out of). I ended up buying an air- powered vacuum bleeder in 'self defense' just for this bike but they are expensive. The traditional way of pumping the system and then holding pressure on the lever while cracking the bleeder often just does not work as the system will not pump up in the first place.

Best of luck with it.

Brian

I have tried to search and no luck. Where is the bleeder screw for the clutch on the 2012 Concours?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 11:11:43 AM »

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 11:13:33 AM »
Ditto what Brian said. Took about 1/2 hour to get a MityVac to suck enough brake fluid to bleed the system. PITA

Offline wendel

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 11:17:52 AM »
Thanks for the picture.
2012 C14

Son of Pappy

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 11:21:18 AM »
Want new friends?  Get a power vac.  Just keep a close eye on fluid levels as it goes quickly.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 11:40:17 AM »
Yeah but after having a C-14 break your chops for a while regarding the hydraulics, that powered bleeder system is like sex..... only good! I've had mine for a few years now and I still get a little excited when I use it.... It really does turn a [difficult to impossible] job into a walk in the park. And when you are done, the pedals and levers are rock- hard, just like they should be (easy boys!).

Seriously, a power bleeder is a uber- useful thing to have / borrow / use on one of these bikes.

Brian

Want new friends?  Get a power vac.  Just keep a close eye on fluid levels as it goes quickly.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 11:40:59 AM »
The problem I had with the MityVac was that it sucks air around the loosened bleeder screw. How do you stop that with a power vac? I thought about removing the bleeder screw completely and using Teflon tape to seal the threads but not sure how it would hold up to brake fluid.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 11:45:38 AM »
You don't- but then again, you do not have to because that darned thing just keeps sucking! That is the problem with the hand powered vacuums- you can't cycle them fast enough to keep up with the bleeder leakage. That is just not a problem for the powered units- they keep up with whatever amount the bleeder leaks and still maintain a vacuum on the internals. The brake fluid won't ever be clear because there is bleeder- leaked air in there but again, who cares: just keep bleeding until you have nearly emptied the reservoir twice and you are done. It might be a bit wasteful of brake fluid but it makes the job SO much easier and faster that it is worth it IMO.

Brian

The problem I had with the MityVac was that it sucks air around the loosened bleeder screw. How do you stop that with a power vac? I thought about removing the bleeder screw completely and using Teflon tape to seal the threads but not sure how it would hold up to brake fluid.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2013, 06:40:01 AM »
I bought a Motion Pro 08-0143 Hydraulic Brake Bleeder and it was a piece of cake to do the clutch and the brakes on this bike. I didn't have any air in the lines so I can't speak to what kind of cake it would have been had there been some air...
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 11:49:55 AM »
I can't speak to what kind of cake it would have been had there been some air...

German chocolate... yea, definitely german chocolate cake.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 12:01:16 PM »
Fruit cake is without a doubt the correct kinda cake.  German Chocolate needs a glass of milk, Fruit cake requires chilled adult beverages to consume 8)

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 12:12:21 PM »
Yes, that is the very problem- once the master cylinder collapses on air, it seems impossible to get any fluid in there without pressure (or anti- pressure if you want, vacuum). Normal movement of the piston just won't cause any fluid to fill the cylinder in my experience. That is when people whip out the 'hocus pocus' and start sacrificing small animals in the hope they can someday ride the bike again.

Brian

I bought a Motion Pro 08-0143 Hydraulic Brake Bleeder and it was a piece of cake to do the clutch and the brakes on this bike. I didn't have any air in the lines so I can't speak to what kind of cake it would have been had there been some air...

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2013, 02:05:39 PM »
So that's what happened to the road kill ratKirby.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2013, 02:22:16 PM »
Nah, Kirby 'happened' when he jumped onto the bike without realizing it was protected by the mighty envelope of KiPass. It turned him into the mummy that he is now. Long time ago there was a whole thread about how Kirby got to be.... well, Kirby. But it got wiped out in the great forunami of '11 (or was it 2010?). Now that I have a web page up, Kirby can tell his whole story along with various thoughts and ramblings (that ought to be good). I just have to get Kirby to stay still long enough to jot something down....

Brian

So that's what happened to the road kill ratKirby.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2013, 06:04:18 AM »
Yes, that is the very problem- once the master cylinder collapses on air, it seems impossible to get any fluid in there without pressure (or anti- pressure if you want, vacuum). Normal movement of the piston just won't cause any fluid to fill the cylinder in my experience. That is when people whip out the 'hocus pocus' and start sacrificing small animals in the hope they can someday ride the bike again.

Brian

Perhaps now we can start sacrificing pieces of cake instead and give those animals a break for a while? We have votes for German chocolate and fruit cakes. I'm not really much of a cake fan but I'd have to vote for cheese cake. That's not really a cake though is it? Why do they call it cheese cake when it's more pie like anyways? Cheese pie, doesn't really have the same ring to it does it?

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2013, 06:05:53 AM »
Nah, Kirby 'happened' when he jumped onto the bike without realizing it was protected by the mighty envelope of KiPass. It turned him into the mummy that he is now. Long time ago there was a whole thread about how Kirby got to be.... well, Kirby. But it got wiped out in the great forunami of '11 (or was it 2010?). Now that I have a web page up, Kirby can tell his whole story along with various thoughts and ramblings (that ought to be good). I just have to get Kirby to stay still long enough to jot something down....
Brian

I wouldn't think that getting him to hold still would be much of a problem but what do I know about mummified rodents?