Author Topic: Extra wiring harnesses under seat  (Read 12829 times)

Offline p07r0457

Extra wiring harnesses under seat
« on: July 03, 2013, 10:52:52 PM »
I took my seat off, today, so that I could examine my new Concours is greater detail.  I noticed three wiring harnesses and two spare wires neatly tucked away, but not connected to anything.  I know the two single leads are available to support an accessory connector added aftermarket.  However, what are the other three connectors for?

Its a 2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 09:54:57 AM by p07r0457 »
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Candy Diamond Red
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S - Candy Aleutian Blue and Shasta White
2017 Acura MDX SH-AWD Advance - White Diamond Pearl
2018 Infiniti QX30 Premium AWD - Majestic White

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Re: Extra wiring harnesses under seat
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 08:29:30 AM »
BEWARE of the forum police officer.

2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 08:46:26 AM »
It does help when we can at least narrow down what generation the bike is when troubleshooting  a problem or looking something up for someone.  Not all things have changed but I'm sure that there is a bit more wiring in gen 2 than in gen 1.  I'd look under my seat but I can't move very well at the moment.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline p07r0457

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 09:57:27 AM »
Sorry.  Its a 2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS.

I checked the wiring diagrams and nothing immediately jumped out at me as matching the wire colors.  The connectors appear to match the relay box from the service manual, but doesn't my bike already have that? (Visible in picture)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 10:12:27 AM »
Found a picture of them in the 08 service manual on page 16-8 (upper right side of the page).  Ok, here's what I think they are as shown on page 17-26....in order of size from largest to smallest....ABS Kwak Self-Diagnostic System connector, Kwak Diagnostic System Connector, and Tool Connector (Unsed - Unused?).

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 10:19:47 AM »
It does help when we can at least narrow down what generation the bike is when troubleshooting  a problem or looking something up for someone.  Not all things have changed but I'm sure that there is a bit more wiring in gen 2 than in gen 1.  I'd look under my seat but I can't move very well at the moment.

Alcohol related I hope, and not an injury or discomfort?  :(
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline p07r0457

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 10:28:44 AM »
Found a picture of them in the 08 service manual on page 16-8 (upper right side of the page).  Ok, here's what I think they are as shown on page 17-26....in order of size from largest to smallest....ABS Kwak Self-Diagnostic System connector, Kwak Diagnostic System Connector, and Tool Connector (Unsed - Unused?).
Thanks, I'm not sure why I didn't look in chapter 17...  I read all of 16 and couldn't find it, lol.

17-26 confirms it.  They are definitely 6, 7, 8 (Tool Connector, Kawasaki Diagnostic System Connector, and ABS Kawasaki Self-diagnostic System Connector) and they were located exactly in the spot depicted in the manual, in the same foam pad (9).

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 11:43:23 AM »

Alcohol related I hope, and not an injury or discomfort?  :(

Nope, alcohol not involved.  Went up on the roof to clean out a vent stack with a water hose and messed up something in my lower back.  Can sit ok but standing up or just standing is extremely painful.  On advil and prescription pain killer at the moment.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 11:56:56 AM »
I do not think those two bullet connectors are accessory wires- they are ABS diagnostic taps. A quick check of the schematic will confirm this.

The accessory leads are located further back, behind the relay box and the ECU, inside the rubber boot. The give-away is that on the accessory leads, one bullet connector is female (the 'hot' or +12 lead) and the other is male (ground or -0- volt lead).

Brian

I took my seat off, today, so that I could examine my new Concours is greater detail.  I noticed three wiring harnesses and two spare wires neatly tucked away, but not connected to anything.  I know the two single leads are available to support an accessory connector added aftermarket.  However, what are the other three connectors for?

Its a 2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS.

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 12:25:36 PM »
Little late to the party, eh wot?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 12:26:26 PM »
The accessory leads are under the box. Remove the box and fish them up around the side. Those leads in your pic are used to invoke error codes and clear stored data.... don't mess with them.

The wires with the green tape tab I placed on them after fishing them out.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..