Author Topic: This bike is TOP HEAVY!  (Read 20815 times)

Offline bluedogok

Re: This bike is TOP HEAVY!
« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2013, 08:02:47 PM »
No excuse for gloves but a full face helmet and jacket is not gonna happen in the summer months in the south for patrol work.  There is no A-Z riding.  Most riding is stop and go and a lot of stop in the sun.   On top of that are dark clothes and a body hugging ballistic vest.  There comes a point where excessive body heat and protection cross paths and one must give to allow the body to cool.
Some in Austin, Texas (APD and TCSO) have gone to the flip front helmets and hi-viz yellow mesh jackets in the summer.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2013, 11:40:20 AM »
I remember when I was pulled over by a HCSD officer in Houston, I'm thinking July/August... He was wearing polyester everything, bullet proof vest, half helmet... sweating up a storm on everything.  I was wearing my Motoport Kevlar Mesh II jacket, feeling pretty good with the breeze.  I felt for the guy... up until he asked for my autograph.  8)
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline RideBellChain

• RideBellChain.com Send a bell, receive a free bell!
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2013, 12:43:56 PM »
Sliders will not protect the pegs, the rear bags, the mirrors, or other certain  parts.  They are better than nothing, but with fall/tipover protection, the "not nearly as big and bulky" equates to "not nearly as effective".

The only really non-big/bulky solution are the "Top Blocks", but they are expensive, hard to obtain, requiring drilling the fairings, and still do not offer the level protection of the Canyon Cages front/rear combo.

Wrong.
I have the front fork, the rear, and the mid-body sliders.  Dropped my bike (slowly) and nothing scratched.  You have to drop it HARD to catch the mirrors.
Ride Safe!  Mark Turkel
http://www.RideBellChain.com
2012 Black Kawi Concours 14, 2008 Yami Royal Star Venture

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2013, 04:59:04 PM »
Wrong.  I have the front fork, the rear, and the mid-body sliders.  Dropped my bike (slowly) and nothing scratched.  You have to drop it HARD to catch the mirrors.

I was mostly basing on tests posted with the GSG slider, which is different (and possibly more robust, although it is set much lower).  So that is good news.  However, I don't think it would take too much force for a MOVING bike to tilt over it (of course at that point, the slider might just fail anyway- afterall, it is not THAT strong).

And the slider is a single, tiny point of touch.  If that point it hits the ground is just a little lower or irregular....
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2013, 04:23:19 PM »
Anything that weights nearly 1K feels heavy if you get it off balance, rotating wheel mass has less effect as the sprung weight rises. (Gyroscopic procession). And of course if you are slow enough steering is opposite from slightly faster speeds which also means the steering geometry is very different.
A friend owned a V8 Bike dealership (Kannon) and I rode them to local bike shows for them, you could not really tell it weighed over 1500 Lbs. until you picked it up off the side stand.
I lost a rear tire on the Hwy two up on one of those V8 bikes and it was a hand full with a flat rear tire.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2013, 08:53:07 PM »
Me on the left...  this was before a military homecoming parade in Leicester 

Last one...I'm on the left as you look at it..... at military funeral procession.... nothing like the video's of the C14 cops... but lots of slow riding at walking pace...and no wobbling  :-\

Full lock U turns not a problem... but what they are doing in the video's... now that's skilful.... I'd end up on my butt   ;D
No offense  meant but holy crap I about fell over laughing.  How did someone come up with that paint scheme and the colors? Maybe the Queen? Hot pink and blue? really?
If I saw a bike try to pull me over looking like that  I would have a hard time not laughing so hard I would have to pull over.
Perfect for a Gay Pride Parade though. OH boy.... I am going to get banned for this post I am sure.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Bryn

• Leicestershire.... in the heart of England
« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2013, 01:35:53 AM »
No offense  meant but holy crap I about fell over laughing.  How did someone come up with that paint scheme and the colors? Maybe the Queen? Hot pink and blue? really?
If I saw a bike try to pull me over looking like that  I would have a hard time not laughing so hard I would have to pull over.
Perfect for a Gay Pride Parade though. OH boy.... I am going to get banned for this post I am sure.

Hot pink   ;D  Must be the camera... dayglo orange ... but saying that 3 years running they had me at the front of Leicester's Gay Pride march... and I was asked more than once if I was on or off duty   :rotflmao:

They have now re-branded ... and the bikes are now Dayglo yellow   8)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2013, 07:49:00 AM »
 :rotflmao:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.