Author Topic: c14 wheel bearing failure ??  (Read 6130 times)

Offline mike-s4

c14 wheel bearing failure ??
« on: June 11, 2013, 06:39:42 PM »
I use a harbor freight tire changer. The main shaft drops down thru the bearings. The top of the shaft is held by an upper support bolted to the main tire changer. There is some force on the bearings while I am pulling the arm around to force the tire onto the rim. Because the shaft is held vertically, it applies a radial load on the bearings.The type of load they are made for.
 However I see there are some tire changers that have no upper support for the shaft. The entire load is directly on the two bearings unevenly and at an angle. The unsupported shaft is acting like a pry bar.. A sideways or thrust load. NOT what these bearings are designed for. Watch the video.
I have never had a bearing failure on any motorcycle.
Just wondering if any of you guys who had bearing failures use that kind of tire changer.
Could their be a connection?
Can someone here translate this for MGvaleri. 

Cycle Hill Motorcycle Tire Changer
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 06:20:17 AM by mike-s4 »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: c14 wheel bearing failure
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 08:01:22 PM »
Paging Mr. Ugo, Mr. Ugo to the courtesy phone..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline PH14

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 08:32:33 PM »
No, no, no, wheel bearing failure on a C14 is directly related to the cumulative damage done by the pressure of the stove key being depressed as necessitated by the KIPASS system.

:shoot: :stirpot: Running now.  :finger_fing11:

Offline ugocon

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 01:03:23 AM »
mmmm.... I understood the problem and I frankly doubt that a an uneven force like that can damage sturdy mechanical devices like a bearing that is designed to ... "bear" forces that are much more intense.
Since I'm quite lazy  ::) I won't translate it now to Valerio, but I will talk about it directly to him next Saturday, since we are going to meet in Tuscany and will have a whole day together with our Connies!  :D
Pictures and clips (obviously by Valerio...) will follow!

Ciao
Ugo
Stand out from the crowd: do not buy a BMW !!!

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 09:23:51 AM »
I use a NoMar and the bar just goes through the bearing at the top. I would think the amount of force you are using with a dismount bar of any kind is a tiny fraction of the force put on the bearing when going over even a small bump at highway speeds.

Offline BlkBird

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 08:34:46 PM »
I actually have the cycle hill changer pictured by OP, have changed numerous sets and there have been zero isses.  I doubt the minimal loading would cause any bearing failure.  The Cycle hill is the baby brother of the No-Mar which is the machine I would really have preferred

Offline ugocon

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 12:35:31 PM »
I talked to Valerio face to face during our trip today ( http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=14172.msg173797#msg173797 )

He also thinks that the procedure shown for the tire changer cannot damage the bearings.

He still is not 100%  sure of what caused  his rear bearing to "melt", but a tire change is not to blame for sure!

Stand out from the crowd: do not buy a BMW !!!

Offline ssbraun

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 01:13:39 PM »
I'm not certain what bearing is used for the C14, but I believe it is a type 6 single-row deep groove ball bearing (aka "Conrad" bearing).  These bearings are designed to manage both radial loads and moderate axial loads in both directions.  They are not limited to pure radial loads.  As such, I agree that it is doubtful that enough force could be applied with the tire changer to cause any brinelling damage to the bearing raceways.
Ayrton Senna ... "Oh, dat fla tie rella fack up ebertang!"
Past rides...'83 GS750ES,'84 GS750SE (Canada only),'85 FJ1100;'98VTR1000F Firestorm;'07GSX-R1000
Current ride...'12 C14 Candy Arabian Red (even faster than black and silver!!)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2013, 08:01:14 PM »
Dam*, Conrad, you have a bearing named after you...!   Congratulations!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 11:06:25 PM »
Now that we have seemingly concluded that there have been no premature C14 wheel bearing failures or even justifiable worries about wheel bearing failures maybe someone should change the misleading thread title.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2013, 01:46:02 AM »
What Lather ^ said.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2013, 07:29:44 AM »
I'm not certain what bearing is used for the C14, but I believe it is a type 6 single-row deep groove ball bearing (aka "Conrad" bearing).  These bearings are designed to manage both radial loads and moderate axial loads in both directions.  They are not limited to pure radial loads.  As such, I agree that it is doubtful that enough force could be applied with the tire changer to cause any brinelling damage to the bearing raceways.

Dam*, Conrad, you have a bearing named after you...!   Congratulations!

Now that we have seemingly concluded that there have been no premature C14 wheel bearing failures or even justifiable worries about wheel bearing failures maybe someone should change the misleading thread title.

It should go without saying that any bearing named Conrad would never fail under any circumstances!    :P
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2013, 03:04:12 PM »
What Lather ^ said.

Agreed.  Next thing we know this thread will be the first thing in Google when someone mentions a Concours and wheel bearings...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2013, 03:58:34 PM »

I think the OP should be able to change it.  If not, I know someone that can, but I think a ? after it would suffice.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2013, 04:55:31 PM »
I think the OP should be able to change it.  If not, I know someone that can, but I think a ? after it would suffice.

Oh just change the dern thing already.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2013, 06:37:23 PM »
That would start a terrible precedent whereby we would have to change all those thousands of threads about how KiPass..... (stranded / killed / destroyed / dissapointed / kept from / caused too / is... / isn't....  and so forth.

Now that I think about it, wouldn't it just be easier to re-name THIS thread KiPass failure and lump it in with all the rest of them?

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2013, 07:58:15 PM »
What you need is good martini, Max.  ...puts things in perspective.

Brian..... :battle: ;)

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2013, 08:00:23 PM »
No need for a drink here- just rubbing my fob waiting for the genie to appear... again.  Actually I am enjoying a fine box wine. Well, not a fine wine but certainly wine from a box. A box without bearings, which brings us all the way back to on- topic.

Brian

What you need is good martini, Max.  ...puts things in perspective.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2013, 08:01:58 PM »
Brian, you silly man, there's always time for a drink or two.....hicup!

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2013, 08:35:50 PM »
I am drinking wine- PAY ATTENTION!

;D

Brian

Brian, you silly man, there's always time for a drink or two.....hicup!