Author Topic: Repairing a flat...  (Read 4887 times)

Offline Miss Silvera

• "Listen With Your Eyes"
Repairing a flat...
« on: June 08, 2013, 07:34:43 AM »
Looking for experience and /or info on using "Fix a Flat" and Slime......

Road side "repair" experience with Fix a Flat 

road side plugging and CO2 inflation

CO2 inflation vs 12 volt pump

using CO2 airgun cartriges vs the "tire" kind...

"Listen With Your Eyes" 
Identify, Acquire, Press, Press, Move
Wit, Grit, Courage,and Determination .....
win gunfights

Offline tjpgi

Re: Repairing a flat...
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 07:51:42 AM »
What type of tire are you concerned about?
2011 GSXR 1000
2009 Concours ABS
1976 KZ900
1991 Sportster XLH 1200

Offline Miss Silvera

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 08:14:25 AM »
Motorcycle..... 8)

Just read on the Fix a Flat website it should not be used on motorcycle tires....??  hmmmm?
"Listen With Your Eyes" 
win gunfights

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 08:46:14 AM »
Sticky rope and 12v compressor for me. If it can't be fixed with that a cell phone and credit card is next.

Offline Miss Silvera

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 08:59:42 AM »
Sticky rope and 12v compressor for me. If it can't be fixed with that a cell phone and credit card is next.
Ah HA!  see...I have a special circumstance....can't use a phone!  (Deaf)  so its a process of texting and having someone call for me...

My info request here will help to be a bit more prepared

I do have the CO2 charger and the basic tire plug kit too...
"Listen With Your Eyes" 
win gunfights

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 11:02:47 AM »
+1
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 11:47:10 AM »
I used the odd looking rubber plug with a hole in the middle used for the screwdriver like tool to insert into the tire and cut off the excess with provided cutter, then a CO2 cartridge. I used two cartridges as it took two for me to learn how to do it, swore I'd never do that again as if I did not get it the second time, I'd be SOL. Rear tire. Limped home 50 miles under 55mph. I now use a BMW kit and the slime compressor, but want one of those crew in plug type kits I saw demonstrated at a COG rally. I'm thinking the "fix-a-flat" folks are using liability lawyer words concerning using their product on bikes, I've used it as a temporary fix for a leaking tire from around the bead, not a flat. BTW, took off the rear tire, patched it from the inside and put another 5000 miles on it, small hole in between treads. I know, I know heresy for some here, but I was comfortable with it.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 11:55:09 AM »
(s)crew in kit?

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 11:59:05 AM »
Not sure who makes it, but I've seen it in the back of bike mags. Its a type of plug with an adaptor on it that attaches to a battery powered electric screwdriver of sorts I think, put the end of the plug into the hole, power it on and when the plug is inserted or when the proper amount of resistance is made, the plug breaks off clean. I think that's how it went.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 12:22:41 PM »

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 12:31:10 PM »
I've seen that one too, same concept.

Offline deerhunter

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 01:29:48 AM »
I tested the sticky string and the little 12V pump that I carried by intentionally flattening a front tire that I was about to replace.  I ran a drywall screw into the tread and then backed it out.  The tire lost its air and then I repaired it with the sticky string and inflated it with the little pump.  It seemed to work well but I did not go out and ride test it.  It was nice to try out the kit in the garage rather than out in the middle of nowhere. 
COG 6130
2003 Concours
Heaven is a motorcycle, a million miles of road, and all eternity to ride.  Hell is the same scenario, but the motorcycle won't start.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2013, 05:26:45 AM »
I did the same thing with the stopngo plug system on my rear tire. Rode it for a week and didn't lose a pound.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 07:26:40 AM »
I just did a sticky-rope repair to my rear tire while on the road on a trip to Dayton, OH.  Probably put close to 1k miles on the tire after the repair.  I used the hole as an excuse to buy new tires since I wasn't happy with the Shinko 890s in the rain, but I would have continued riding on it otherwise. 
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline connie1

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2013, 08:26:41 AM »
+1 on the sticky rope.

I've used that to fix flats on all sorts of tires from high speed to low. Including tires that may be carrying up to 10000 lbs.
Always use a generous application of rubber cement  to the rope to lubricate (so as not to enlarge the hole any larger than it already is).

A trick I learned from my tire guy is once you're done plugging is to light the protruding ends of the rope and let them burn down to the tire surface.  It helps to cure the cement and ensure those ends don't get 'pulled' when accelerating and braking etc.  In my climate there isn't any worry about igniting the entire tire but you in more southerly climes my want to use caution doing this. (another use for a water bottle)

So my kit includes pliers,sticky rope, applicator,cement, compressor, and a lighter.  I rarely use the awl that comes with most kits as it enlarges the hole (in my opinion).
For real small holes I have stripped the ropes down to half to better fit the existing hole and not bulge up the rubber around the 'fix'.
Man do I love this bike! Red '09

Offline tjpgi

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2013, 10:03:46 AM »
I carry a Slime 12v. pump for the C14 and on my GSXR I carry a CO2 kit with plugs ( limited space). I have been lucky and only had a recent flat from a screw on my rear C14 tire. Tried DynaPlugs but they were difficult in getting the plug in the tool, wasted all 5 of them. A friend on mine drives a BMW bike and uses the mushroom plugs but had repeated leaks because of the steel belt in the tire cutting the plug.

I found this web site and used their sticky rope .

http://www.tirerepairkit.com/

They advertise it as a permanent fix although the wisdom of this is felt by many to be dubious at best. Easy to use and effective.
2011 GSXR 1000
2009 Concours ABS
1976 KZ900
1991 Sportster XLH 1200

Offline pistole

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2013, 12:55:44 AM »
+ 1 = rope & pump.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2013, 07:21:07 AM »
Don't forget you can remove the plastic case on most air pumps to make them even smaller to fit in a tight spot hidden away if needed.  Just watch out when using them as they tend to get very hot!  The old one I have is about the size of a baseball, then also has the hose and power cord attached.  You could even make these detachable if needed.  It wedges nicely between the battery and rear fender on the C10.  I plug it in every couple of months just to check it.  And yes, I use the string plugs and have always trusted them (if i'm the one who did it).
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 08:24:37 AM by RFH87_Connie »
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Miss Silvera

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2013, 08:04:46 AM »
The more I read here and on the web the sticky string is the way to go...and I already have that...along with a Co2 pump and several cartriges...

may look for a mini pump too
"Listen With Your Eyes" 
win gunfights

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2013, 09:01:21 AM »
Reasons they don't recommend slime to repair motorcycle tire is:
Slime is not a permanent repair and tire could go down suddenly.
Slime doesn't work well in tube type tires (ours does not use tube but they may consider Motorcycle tires as with tubes)
Too much Slime can cause out of balance in light weight (motorcycle) tires. (Don't ask me how I know this)
Leaking Slime might be slick...... Slick is BADDDddddd...

Ride safe, Ted