Author Topic: Woman tasered after trying to buy too many iPhones  (Read 1722 times)

Offline timsatx

• Arena
Woman tasered after trying to buy too many iPhones
« on: June 05, 2013, 07:04:12 AM »
Apple has come in for heavy criticism after a woman was allegedly tasered by police at one of its stores after refusing to leave when told she would not be allowed to buy more than two iPhones.

Xiaojie Li of Newton in Massachusetts bought two iPhone 5s at the store in Nashua New Hampshire last week, which were apparently intended as gifts for relatives in China.

When returning to buy a further iPhone this week Li was told by Apple sales staff that she had exceeded a two phones per customer limit designed to foil profit-seeking Internet resellers.

After refusing or failing to understand their request to leave - Li is reported to speak poor English - amateur footage posted on YouTube shows her being dragged from the store by police officers who are accused of tasering her while prone.

A police spokesperson later described the arrest as "a criminal trespass incident and fairly routine here."

Police claim Li had $16,000 (APS10,000) in her purse at the time of her arrest. Her fiance claimed the phones were meant for the woman's sister and denied she intended to resell them.

Regardless of Li's intention in buying the phones, reaction on social media has been near-universally critical of the heavy-handed response by police and, by extension, Apple.

'Tasered for buying too many iPhones,' is probably not a headline that will be well-received in china itself, the country in which the iPhone is manufactured.

http://www.cio.com/article/724150/Woman_Tasered_After_Trying_to_Buy_Too_Many_iPhones_?source=rss_mobile_wireless&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+cio%2Ffeed%2Fdrilldowntopic%2F3061+%28CIO.com+-+Mobile%2FWireless%29

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Woman tasered after trying to buy too many iPhones
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 02:19:54 PM »
I don't see any issues here.  The company has a policy.  The employees were following that policy.  Evidently the woman became more than irate when she couldn't have her way and the police were called in.  They took care of the incident which is what they're supposed to do.  They tasered her in the process.  It happens.  And as to what happens in China, I couldn't care less.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 03:13:37 PM »
You know... if she pulled this in China...  a little tazing would be the least of her worries. ::)
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 03:41:45 PM »
She just got out of court...  The trespassing charges were dropped but the resisting arrest charges upheld.  Essentially probation for the resisting arrest charges..

http://bostonese.com/?p=8307

Bear in mind this is a Chinese/Boston online journal...  I think it would behoove her to take English lessons.  Might prevent difficulties in the future.....just sayin..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.