Author Topic: Spring maintenance results...  (Read 2710 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Spring maintenance results...
« on: June 04, 2013, 05:20:16 PM »
Well, looks like the battery change in the rear TPMS worked fine, although I'm getting some interesting tire pressure from it.  Interesting in that it looks like it's reading the correct air pressure according to my gage.  I checked both tires cold (about 80 degrees outside) and they were at 42 pounds.  After riding a bit the front read 47 or so and the rear about 44 which is what I would expect it to be after it heated up.  I'm thinking that maybe battery voltage affects the pressure reading cause the battery I took out was new in Aug 07 and started complaining about the cold the next winter.  I don't know, just appears interesting.

I think I also resolved my right handle bar vibration quite a bit, enough so that I didn't notice it so much while riding.  I had put on an Area P but the vibrations were pronounced with it so I went back to the stocker.  Decided to go back and added some rubber washers to where it mounts to the rear of the bike and it by golly gee it seems better.  I'm happy.

Checked the drive shaft and everything was ok, molyed up the splines and buttoned it back up.   

Have a new '55 on the rear (first time for that) and while I haven't had much twisty riding it does feel different going into what corners I've ridden.  Can't wait to try it out for real.

I bled the rear brakes and they feel a bit better, not that they were bad before but I know they're there and working for sure.

So, all in all, not too bad.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Spring maintenance results...
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 05:24:18 PM »
Well, looks like the battery change in the rear TPMS worked fine, although I'm getting some interesting tire pressure from it.  Interesting in that it looks like it's reading the correct air pressure according to my gage.  I checked both tires cold (about 80 degrees outside) and they were at 42 pounds.  After riding a bit the front read 47 or so and the rear about 44 which is what I would expect it to be after it heated up.  I'm thinking that maybe battery voltage affects the pressure reading

I really don't think so- not the way circuits like that typically act.  Lower voltage might cause lower range or even flakiness.  But I don't think the pressure would linearly go down, for example, with the voltage.  But who knows.

[blah blah blah]So, all in all, not too bad.

Canon cages??
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 06:52:25 PM »
Haven't made my way to that part of the bike yet...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline tjpgi

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 07:10:43 PM »
I wonder if my TPS is working (2009 ABS C14). I check tire pressure cold and always strive for 42 PSI. During my rider ( today 92 in San Antonio), the max read on the TPS was 42. Rechecked tire pressure after several hours in the garage ( after ride) and pressure was 42. I thought that TPS adjusted its reading based on the cold tire pressure and adjusted this pressure up as the tire heats up ( provided of course no leaks). It has always been like this since new in Sept.2008.
2011 GSXR 1000
2009 Concours ABS
1976 KZ900
1991 Sportster XLH 1200

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 07:40:44 PM »
I've never trusted the displayed pressure as it's never been remotely accurate to my gages.  What's strange is that I replace the battery and now it's accurate....what's up with that?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 07:43:27 PM »
I've never trusted the displayed pressure as it's never been remotely accurate to my gages.  What's strange is that I replace the battery and now it's accurate....what's up with that?

Maybe there was something physically wrong with it and you knocked some sense into it :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 03:56:47 AM »
Or scared it...

Offline Conrad

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 05:51:36 AM »
Well done Jim.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 07:00:14 AM »
Washers or some kind of spacers between the bar and bar end "for sure" makes a positive difference in reducing vibes. I replaced my air filter the other day, my bike should breathe allot better now. Have a new Angel GT getting installed today for the Gap trips.........oh how I love new rubber!
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 07:38:24 AM »
Nice thread, mine is due a FOB battery change.....  just 'cuz  :D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine