Author Topic: wheel balancing options other than weights stuck on outside??  (Read 20062 times)

Offline ZG

• Arena
So I have a set of wheels that I just did in gold color, so far I'm only able to find wheel weights in black, grey, and chrome... no gold.  :(

What other options are there for balancing? I've heard about things like beads and gels to go on the inside of the tire but I'm guessing those aren't options for me having tire pressure sensors right?  :-\

Help me.  :-\

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
Re: wheel balancing options other than weights stuck on outside??
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 11:04:08 AM »
So I have a set of wheels that I just did in gold color, so far I'm only able to find wheel weights in black, grey, and chrome... no gold.  :(

What other options are there for balancing? I've heard about things like beads and gels to go on the inside of the tire but I'm guessing those aren't options for me having tire pressure sensors right?  :-\

Help me.  :-\

Hmm, that's a tough one.  Have the tires shaved?   :-X

What about having a bar of stick on weights painted to match the wheels?  They don't usually take much weight, and a bar of weights usually gives you enough for several wheels (at least on our bikes, when using high quality tires).  I've found that with the PR3's and the Angels, once the wheel itself was balanced, I rarely need to mess with the weights.

Plus, as little as you ride, the tires should last the life of the bike.   ;D
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 11:21:49 AM »
Are you being serious ZG??  :rotflmao:  Oh and the mental condition that you have is a tough one, of course OCD can be dealt with in multiple ways.  ;)   Spray paint some wheel weights with gold paint, that should work fine.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Son of Pappy

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 11:35:43 AM »
Not that it will help your newest bling, I would have the third set of rims balanced out when you clean up the mold lines, use removal of material as the balance method.  My last three sets of tires required no new weights, IOW, the 'Stones were not as balanced as the Stradas, which needed balancing, but the following PR2s, Angel 50s, and 55s needed no new weight shift.  Luck?

If you are going to this level of perfection and as it's obvious money isn't the blocking point consider doing a static balance on the rim after removing mold lines, and remove enough material at the heavy side and than mount a new tire, check balance, if good, recoat.

Problem solved.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 11:56:21 AM »
Are you being serious ZG??  :rotflmao:  Oh and the mental condition that you have is a tough one, of course OCD can be dealt with in multiple ways.  ;)   Spray paint some wheel weights with gold paint, that should work fine.

That's actually a good idea...or he could just get them plated.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 12:38:33 PM »
That's actually a good idea...or he could just get them plated.
Or he could just use real gold with double sided tape ;)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 01:05:33 PM »
That works as well...  In fact, he could use 70% less for the same weight, therefore making it much more inconspicuous.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 01:22:02 PM »

Hmm, that's a tough one.  Have the tires shaved?   :-X

What about having a bar of stick on weights painted to match the wheels?  They don't usually take much weight, and a bar of weights usually gives you enough for several wheels (at least on our bikes, when using high quality tires).  I've found that with the PR3's and the Angels, once the wheel itself was balanced, I rarely need to mess with the weights.

Plus, as little as you ride, the tires should last the life of the bike.   ;D

Ya, I thought about just painting some standard grey ones, just trying to look at all options I guess... I'm intrigued with the idea of no wheel weights at all, would defenitley look cleaner IMO, but I just don't know anything about those products cause I've never used em.  ??? :-\

I did find these but it seems that would last me a lifetime, or maybe I could make myself a nice grill for my teeth with some of em...  ;) ;D 8)

http://www.alltiresupply.com/p-80-2550MG.html

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 01:24:27 PM »
Or he could just use real gold with double sided tape ;)

That works as well...  In fact, he could use 70% less for the same weight, therefore making it much more inconspicuous.

Hmmm... tempting indeed!  ;) 8)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 01:25:26 PM »
Not that it will help your newest bling, I would have the third set of rims balanced out when you clean up the mold lines, use removal of material as the balance method.  My last three sets of tires required no new weights, IOW, the 'Stones were not as balanced as the Stradas, which needed balancing, but the following PR2s, Angel 50s, and 55s needed no new weight shift.  Luck?

If you are going to this level of perfection and as it's obvious money isn't the blocking point consider doing a static balance on the rim after removing mold lines, and remove enough material at the heavy side and than mount a new tire, check balance, if good, recoat.

Problem solved.

Now that is thinking outside the box Chet, I like it!  :thumbs: :chugbeer:

Offline Broz

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 05:21:37 PM »
Jay,
You can get smaller quantities of the stick on weights. I got some from NoMar when I purchased the tire changer.   I would think spay paint would do the trick.
Semper Fi
Broz
2012 C-14.  Black

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2013, 10:03:05 PM »
Jay,
You can get smaller quantities of the stick on weights. I got some from NoMar when I purchased the tire changer.   I would think spay paint would do the trick.

I'm not familiar with NoMar BZ, do they sell gold weights? Or are you saying just buy the grey ones and paint em?  :-\

Offline Gsun

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2013, 11:11:55 PM »
My wife has OCD, but she is not even in your league!!!

Offline TallyRex

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2013, 03:57:05 AM »
Just put a new front PR2 on my ZRX and used the beads and they work very well.  Why do you think they would mess up the tire pressure sensors?

Offline Broz

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2013, 05:29:39 AM »
I'm not familiar with NoMar BZ, do they sell gold weights? Or are you saying just buy the grey ones and paint em?  :-\

The sell tire changer machines that will not mar your wheels, hence the name.  They also sell regular silver stick on weights and black and red. You would need to paint.  I guess the beads would probably be okay because once the wheel gets turning they find the balance point and they would be on the inside of the tire not the wheel so they would not really touch the TPMS. Since you are so concerned about a very clean look I would try the beads first.
Semper Fi
Broz
2012 C-14.  Black

Offline Conrad

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2013, 06:12:38 AM »
 :popcorn:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2013, 06:46:07 AM »
Just put a new front PR2 on my ZRX and used the beads and they work very well.  Why do you think they would mess up the tire pressure sensors?

:popcorn:  x2
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2013, 07:28:15 AM »
All right, someone has to ask. How do you get them in the tire?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2013, 07:30:16 AM »
I don't think that they'll fit through the valve stem... ::)